Anyone Heard of a Winchester '92 'Stinger'?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Anyone Heard of a Winchester '92 'Stinger'?

Post by COSteve »

I saw a post that was asking for information about a Winchester Stinger. I'd never heard of a 'Stinger' before but it turns out some were stamped that way when imported to at the turn of last century. Here's some information on one that sold last year. Winchester model 1892 special order saddle ring carbine, .44-40 caliber, button mag, carbine butt.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anyone Heard of a Winchester '92 'Stinger'?

Post by Hagler »

Steve,

Yes, I have heard of "The Stinger". It was discussed, here, a number of years ago. What the auction listing says sounds like what I remember about those rifles. Unfortunately, the seller does not show one of the selling points of the rifle: the Stinger stamping. That rifle looks like it did a lot work, too. :wink:

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I believe the Stinger emblem was an import/shop mark used on some rifles that went to Australia.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I have one. It is in .25-20 WCF, and does have a hornet logo on it. These were indeed exported to Australia many years ago. Mine found its way back to North America, wound up in Alaska with our very own HFCable, and I purchased it from him some years ago. I will snap some pictures of the logo this weekend.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

"The Stinger" with wasp motif was a trademark of the Perry Brothers of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. Winchesters ordered by them were marked at the factory before being exported to Oz. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Mike D is correct.

I see a few Stinger marked Winchesters here in Sydney.

Unfortunately most of the ones I have seen have done some serious work and although I have owned a couple I have traded them on because of their condition. Some Low Walls also bear the STINGER stamp.

Anyone come across an 1873 marked "THE DAISEY RIFLE" or 1892 "THE NEW DAISEY RIFLE" ?

Some carbines were also marked.

Same story here with Winchester stamping the rifles for a NSW importer.

Pop.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have seen the 1873 "Daisy" and 1892 "New Daisy" rifles, Pop, and believe the dealers to be Lassiter & Lassiter. They had stores in both Sydney and Melbourne. Quite a few have ended up back in the States and seem to command much collector respect, especially the engraved ones.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

Here is my 32WCF Winchester Low Wall circa 1910 with the Perry Brothers merchant stamp THE STINGER with the Wasp. As stated before Perry Brothers were located in Brisbane Queensland Australia.I reckon it's the coolest marking with the wasp!
She has a 28'' octagon barrel with a buckhorn rear sight.Since this photo she has been relined with a 32-20 reline tube.
Regards Dallas in Brisbane.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor