Metal buttplate for Browning BLR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Metal buttplate for Browning BLR

Post by getitdone1 »

Would anyone here know of a metal buttplate that would fit (or close) my Browning BLR with the wood left as is? I just measured the buttstock and see where it would be very close to the pull of my other lever guns--minus it's present recoil pad and spacer and with a metal buttplate installed. The buttplate would have to be checkered and expect it might have to be hand-made which would be expensive.

Have to try it minus the pad and spacer to be sure when the bolt is all the way back it's not jabbing me in the nose. Which might just be the case.

Don
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Metal buttplate for Browning BLR

Post by BenT »

Your going to have test with what you have in the house. You might want to try to pick up a piece of aluminum stock at the hardware store and just trace and cut it for testing. You could even file some lines into it.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Take 1/8" sheet steel and make one, it's not that hard. Trace around the buttstock for a template and cut the plate out rough with a hacksaw and file or grind to a fit. mark and drill the holes from your template and drill and countersink. If you feel checkering is absolutly necessary get a checkering file from Brownell's. You can rust blue the plate very nicely with Mark Lee's and there you are, a nice weekend project.

I hand forge the buttplates for a lot of my trade guns and rifles.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Not metal, but will this one work?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=129011

Note that it does have a little curve.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I took the buttpad and spacer off and tried this gun and it puts my nose too close to the end of the bolt. After several attempts sometimes end of bolt would hit my nose--slightly. A time would come when I place my face/cheek a little more forward and it would not feel good.

So....I'm gonna try to find a recoil pad that's leather covered, same thickness but without the 1/4" spacer. That'll put me 1/4" closer and the leather will help to prevent recoil pad sticking to my clothes as I bring gun up.

In the meantime I need to know how to separate the spacer from the pad. Seems to be glued/epoxied real tight. Any ideas?

As I said before, it seems quite likely Browning HAD to make the pull length longer than they'd ideally like in order to keep people's noses away from the end of bolt. A lever-action with a length of pull greater than any of my other guns and 5/8-3/4" longer than my other lever guns. That is a LOT of difference!

I'm surprised someone else in this group hasn't had this problem. I must place my cheek further forward on stock than most people. All my other guns--I've ever had--allow this and I'm not going to change for this one gun.

Don