Best Meal Ever Shot With Your Levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Best Meal Ever Shot With Your Levergun

Post by redlevel42 »

I have killed a bunch of deer with leverguns, but I have to say that the best meal I ever shot with a lever action was the three bantam hens I shot out of a pecan tree about 50 years ago. About four of us boys were going to camp out, and we were going to catch fish for our supper, clean them, and cook them over a campfire. Well, the fish didn't cooperate, and we wound up with nothing but a can of corn and a few cold biscuits one of us had thought to bring from home. Then I thought about the neighbor's bantam chickens that I had seen roosting in a pecan tree down by the mill pond. I undertook a stealthy stalk about 15 minutes before dark, trying not to spook the chickens, and not to get in sight of the neighbor's house a quarter mile up the hill. Three quick shots from the little Marlin, and we had our supper. I wish I could say what the load was, but it was whatever was the cheapest long rifles on the shelf at either the Western Auto or Buck Allen's Hardware. We snuck back to the creek, hoping the neighbor hadn't heard the shots, plucked and singed the birds, gutted them and cooked them on sticks over the fire. Luckily, we had salt we had intended to use for the fish. One of the most savory, satisfying meals I ever had.

The neighbor's grandchildren still live nearby, but hopefully the statute of limitations has expired.
Georgia On My Mind
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Best Meal Ever Shot With Your Levergun

Post by 2X22 »

I had been on the trail for 2 days after running out of food. Still had salt and pepper but even my last candy bar was gone and I was HUNGRY! And 2 more days from my truck and civilization. I came around the corner of the trail I was hiking on and there were 3 blue grouse in the middle of the trail! They jumped up into a tree and I was able to pick the heads off of 2 of them before the 3rd flew away with my little .44 Browning. Oh my was that the most wonderful lunch, dinner and breakfast.............. :mrgreen:
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

No contest for me

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Young moose near Dubois, WY about 3 years ago. Winchester 1886, .33WCF. One shot, one moose. Might fine eatin'. Rifle is now in the museum, I'm told I'm next!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

30wcf of course :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TuPapito
Levergunner

Post by TuPapito »

Perhaps it shows my age or at the very least the number of years I've been hunting. The best meal I've shot with my levergun is Tag Soup.

Have yet to score a kill with it yet. However, I aim to hike into some DEEP timber this fall to roust me up a spike elk. Should be plenty delicious.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nath, you are as they say "da bomb" - love your sig line. Wow nice stuff there.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was always fond of squill I shot with the 39A......I like the taste better than venison.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

OS, your supposed to cook the deer meat before you eat it. The term red meat means the way it looks before you cook it. 8)
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Nilgai!
Last edited by crs on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I've only killed whitetails , a blackie and tree rats with lever action rifles .

Never been overly fond of tree rats , the blackie wasn't all that great so I gotta say deer tenderloin marinated in olive oil , white wine vinegar and seasonings (some folks call that Italian salad dressing :wink: ) and slowly sauteed with mushrooms in a covered frying pan on top of the stove !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

id have to say it was my first buck taken with a marlin 30-30
in 1967 a B&C spike white tail :lol:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Though Whitetail and Moose are very fine--------------
Best meal ever ?----------my elk's back strap (taken with BLR) that was cooked fresh up in the aspens over a wood fire with the meat smothered in Olive Oil and clove of garlic.
Still makes me drool :mrgreen:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

madman4570 wrote:Best meal ever ?----------my elk's back strap (taken with BLR) that was cooked fresh up in the aspens over a wood fire with the meat smothered in Olive Oil and clove of garlic.
Yep I've had some fresh elk strip steaks before that I cooked in frying pan with just olive oil in our old Sika Camp in Dorchester Maryland back in the mid 90's !

However for a Scot-Irish lad like myself I'd have to throw the garlic to the side and maybe use GUINESS instead :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

jnyork wrote:Young moose near Dubois, WY about 3 years ago. Winchester 1886, .33WCF. One shot, one moose. Might fine eatin'. Rifle is now in the museum, I'm told I'm next!! :shock: :lol: :lol:

Fine looking moose !

I've only tried moose once about two years ago . And the fella that was cooking it was cooking beef briskit and pork barbecue all at the same time !

He had a prime piece of moose tenderloin and actually he overcooked it !
I wish I had been there earlier to help him a bit ! I think i could have maybe gotten it a little more tnder and kept it juicey atleast !
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Nelgai, then Bison, then rabbit, squirrel, venison.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

My first deer,a doe (about 125 lbs dressed) shot with a Model 99F in 300 savage. I foolishly sold the rifle but solved the problem when I found another just like it last year.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah Bruce - hot and fast with COLD beer. I have some left if you would like to journey from northern Florida to So Cal. :D I will show you a dandy of a friends old pump rifle.

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Old Savage wrote:Ah Bruce - hot and fast with COLD beer. I have some left if you would like to journey from northern Florida to So Cal. :D I will show you a dandy of a friends old pump rifle.
Hot and fast w/ a cold beer. Sounds alot like my teenage years. If your deer meat is anything like I was, I'll bet it was good. At least in my mind! :lol: The girls may differ in opinion though. :twisted:

All jokes aside - my family would eat deer meat any way you cooked it - as long as it was fried. Here in north Florida we have a saying - we can eat anything as long as it is fried - any other way means you were trying to cover up good food.

Just send the pump to Florida and I will liberate it.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

My wife said it was delicious and wanted others to try it. She was apprehensive before. You'll see. maybe you should return to days of yesteryear.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Venison... and OS's looks just right! Makin' my mouth water thinkin' about it!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Gator tail shot with Winchester 1892 32-20, many, many years ago.Finest meat I have shot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

About half an hour ago my wife calls me over to the kitchen and in the back of the broom closet a large kukaracha about 2 inches long (they get bigger) waits on the back wall so I grab my trusty Daisy BB levergun and approach my wary prey. Can't get too close or it'll spook. It's in the back of dark closet so low light situation. From about 6 paces I aim at center mess, and squeeze the trigger. At the sound of the pop the BB rips through the roach cutting it in half with the BB ricocheting straight back and into my chest. I see the two halves of this monster on it's back writhing in agony. A sheet of paper towel finishes the job, and cleans up the mess. Another vermin eliminated from the territory. Yes, today is a good day but not for Mr. Kukaracha.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:About half an hour ago my wife calls me over to the kitchen and in the back of the broom closet a large kukaracha about 2 inches long (they get bigger) waits on the back wall so I grab my trusty Daisy BB levergun and approach my wary prey. Can't get too close or it'll spook. It's in the back of dark closet so low light situation. From about 6 paces I aim at center mess, and squeeze the trigger. At the sound of the pop the BB rips through the roach cutting it in half with the BB ricocheting straight back and into my chest. I see the two halves of this monster on it's back writhing in agony. A sheet of paper towel finishes the job, and cleans up the mess. Another vermin eliminated from the territory. Yes, today is a good day but not for Mr. Kukaracha.
So since this thread is entitled "Best Meal Ever Shot with a Levergun" I assume you ate the nasty cockroach :lol:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote: . BB ricocheting straight back and into my chest. I .
You'll shoot your eye out!!! :shock:

:D :D :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Image
Looks done just perfect! Yep, medallions of venison. New russet potatoes, corn on the cob. And a beer to wash it down with...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think what's currently in my freezer is the best; young farm-type (but feral) pig. I took the advice of the ranch proprietor and went for a CNS shot, then slit the throat. The heart continued to pump all the blood out, and the meat is supposed to stay cleaner that way. Also got it dressed and iced very quickly, and transported it in cloth bags. The best meal so far has been chili verde.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."