OT - Profiles of Valor (02/08/2008)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Profiles of Valor (02/08/2008)

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Semper Fi!

PROFILES OF VALOR: USMC CORPORAL STOKES

Sometimes the media do get it right. On Wednesday, both NBC and CBS paid tribute to only the third Marine private ever to be awarded the Silver Star, Corporal Sean Stokes, who was honored posthumously for his heroism in the battle of Fallujah in 2004. Stokes was an athlete who volunteered to serve with the Marines after 9/11, rather than go to college. On 17 November 2004, Stokes took part in Operation Phantom Fury, which aimed to clear Fallujah of jihadis. Serving with the 3rd Battalion of the 1st Marine Regiment, then-Private Stokes was point man for his platoon, meaning he kicked in the doors and entered the houses first. "At each house I said a prayer," Stokes said. "Please God get me out of this one. When I come out of the house, I'd thank him, light up a cigarette and move on to the next one." Patrick O'Donnell, an author embedded with Stokes' unit, said, "He was clearly one of the most courageous Marines in 1st platoon. He killed nine guys single-handedly. He was combat wounded two or three times and he hid his wounds so he wouldn't be evacuated... so he could stay and fight with his brothers." Stokes was killed in July 2007, during his third tour in Iraq, when he was once again walking "point" and an IED detonated underneath him. CBS reported that "on what would have been his 25th birthday, Sean was awarded the coveted Silver Star for courage in battle." His father accepted the medal on his behalf.