My first vintage levergun of 2011 (photo)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

My first vintage levergun of 2011 (photo)

Post by KirkD »

I have been collecting old Winchesters for years, but was afraid to start collecting Marlins since Winchesters kept me flat broke already. Then I borrowed a couple fine old Marlins from a local Marlin collector to make a calendar and couldn't resist any longer. Here is a photo of my first acquisition. It is a Marlin Model 93, 30-30 made in late 1922 or early 1923. The rifle has a 26" tapered octagon barrel. I think the original sights were replaced with a Marbles rear sight and a Marbles No. 5 front sight. Other than that, the rifle appears to be completely original and almost unused, with strong case colors on the receiver and at least 95% blue on the barrel and mag tube. The bore is immaculate, even immediately forward of the chamber. Next week I plan to take it over to the range and see how it shoots. Here's a photo ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JB
Senior Levergunner

Re: My first vintage levergun of 2011 (photo)

Post by JB »

That sure is a nice one. I sold off most of my Winchesters and now collect Marlins. The Winchesters had just gotten too darn expensive.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Very Nice!!!

Dave B
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

That`s a beauty, very nice indeed. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Nice gun! Saw a neat old-but-clean 93 SRC .30-30--ca early 1900s--in a local gun store last year, and had to do a double take. Other than the tell-tale Marlin lever and its pivot--which I didn't see at first--dead ringer for an old Win carbine, right down to carbine buttstock, barrel bands, ladder sight and the ring. Don't recall the price but it "wasn't bad." Neat gun; I had not seen an older 93 carbine before. Also have been mostly a Win fan, but shoulda got it. I see the rifles around every now and then, but haven't seen any other early carbines.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Kirk,

Absolutely lovely example! MM93'll be using these: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

That is a lovely rifle.

Very nice lines.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nice gun Kirk those 93's are classy. danny
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Very very nice. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to the range report. Will this be your deer rifle this year?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

WOW, That's a dandy!!!!!!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Nice Rifle! If there is a "letter" prefix it is about the date you say it is.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Never thought I'd see the day when Kirk got a Marlin. Of course, who could blame him with the one he got! looking forward to the range report too. Welcome to the larger world of leverguns!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice score, Kirk. Beautiful looking rifle. I'm not much of a Marlin fan, but I'm rethinking that.
Old Law Dawg
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Very handsome rifle....love the case coloring and the "slim" forearm....
I wish marlin would make them like that now...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

I am a Winchester fan, but, at the risk of sounding like a girlyman when I scrolled down to the photo it took my breath away...for a second.
Good for you!
Terry
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

jdad wrote:Nice Rifle! If there is a "letter" prefix it is about the date you say it is.
There is no letter prefix. The serial number is 1385 stamped under the bottom front of the receiver. I was told that put it around 1922 or 1923.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Sweet looking rifle. I've got a real sweet spot for 1893s since a rifle very much like your new toy was the first centerfire I ever shot(quite a bit older and more worn than that beautiful example, even then). I'm afraid that has jaded me somewhat in that while I've owned several Winchesters, they seemed to always get sold or traded. I've never yet parted with a Marlin lever action in all my years of trading. I think you'll like how it shoots.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Very pretty rifle. Like you, I have always loved the Winchesters but just recently started paying more attention to the Marlin rifles and picked up a Marlin 1889 the other day. I love it and will not keep my eyes open for both....Winchester and Marlin.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for sharing the beautiful photo of a classic Marlin.

The first levergun I ever saw or handled was a Marlin 1889 in .32-20, so the fine and classic lines of the Marlin have appealed to me ever since.

Fortunately, I still have great grandfather's gun...

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, that is a beautiful Rifleman,s rifle. The name does not matter when they have that long slender graceful look.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Kirk, that is absolutely beautiful :D :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Kirk, you have some of the most wonderful looking toys!

:wink:
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is a gorgeous rifle all the way around!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I like the look of Marlins and yours is very nice. I have had bad luck with the Marlins I owned. One was a TD "93" and you couldn't keep it tight. They don't have as good adjustment feature as Winchester does IMHO. I also had a "94" 25-20 and the bullets starting tumbling after awhile. The rifling was not to great when I got it. I liked the feel of both of them.
"That'll Be The Day"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

When I see a post by Kirk I just know it's gonna be good :D

Congrats Kirk, smart looking rifle.

Is that the model used in the James Stewart film where upon he is a bounty hunter I think and the bad guy gets away with a Marlin and try's to ambush Stewart by a fast river????

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nath, I don't know. I've not seen the movie, but it sounds like one I might want to see. In a few weeks, I have another vintage Marlin arriving, an original Model 94 SRC in 38-40 (now THERE is a fox gun for you!)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

KirkD wrote:Nath, I don't know. I've not seen the movie, but it sounds like one I might want to see. In a few weeks, I have another vintage Marlin arriving, an original Model 94 SRC in 38-40 (now THERE is a fox gun for you!)
You got some range time to get penciled in Kirk :D

You must of seen the film, I can't remember the name of the film.

I think the bad guy's girl takes off,,, Stewart goes after her and the bad guy kills Stewarts old friend guarding the bad guy or something like that,,,,, someone here knows it.

Anyway,,,, :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very nice Kirk,but it doesn't hold a candle to the 1895 45-70 Takedown (May) from Your calander this year. :wink: .
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

.45colt wrote:Very nice Kirk,but it doesn't hold a candle to the 1895 45-70 Takedown (May) from Your calander this year. :wink: .
That 1895 is what convinced me that I need to get a few Marlins. Unfortunately, 1895's like the one in my calendar are pretty tough to come by.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Very nice Kirk! Is there a link here or something where I could get a 2011 calender of yours?
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

Very nice rifle Kirk, that is a really sweet old gal.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great find Kirk, interested to hear how that rifle shoots.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Leverdude wrote:Very nice Kirk! Is there a link here or something where I could get a 2011 calender of yours?
You can get one here http://www.cafepress.com/KirkD

Hope you like it!
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Another nice rifle. replaced sights or not, that looks fine. Now the big question, how far did it set you back? :shock:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
TMair
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TMair »

Nath wrote:
KirkD wrote:Nath, I don't know. I've not seen the movie, but it sounds like one I might want to see. In a few weeks, I have another vintage Marlin arriving, an original Model 94 SRC in 38-40 (now THERE is a fox gun for you!)
You got some range time to get penciled in Kirk :D

You must of seen the film, I can't remember the name of the film.

I think the bad guy's girl takes off,,, Stewart goes after her and the bad guy kills Stewarts old friend guarding the bad guy or something like that,,,,, someone here knows it.

Anyway,,,, :D

N.
I know this is not the movie that you where talking about...but I went down to help my mother with a couple of things and she had the TV on ThisTV and the movie was "The hills run red" at least one guy was using a Marlin, first time I've ever noticed a Marlin in an old western.
Terry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I think the film is called "The naked spur".

N :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Levergun wrote:Another nice rifle. replaced sights or not, that looks fine. Now the big question, how far did it set you back? :shock:
Quite a bit less. If you like old lever guns, you certainly get more condition for your dollar with an old Marlin. I am surprised that a lot more people don't collect old Marlins.
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

KirkD wrote:
Levergun wrote:Another nice rifle. replaced sights or not, that looks fine. Now the big question, how far did it set you back? :shock:
Quite a bit less. If you like old lever guns, you certainly get more condition for your dollar with an old Marlin. I am surprised that a lot more people don't collect old Marlins.
I agree, I think alot of it comes from movies. Until I got my first Marlin I have no idea how cool they really are.

No that Remington owns Marlin, I am hearing horror stories that I hope they get ironed out.
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Just lovely!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That is a great looking rifle!!!! What is the difference between the M93 and M36?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

3leggedturtle wrote:That is a great looking rifle!!!! What is the difference between the M93 and M36?
I think the 36 is a later version of the 93. The 93 is the same as the the 1893 but around 1905 the dropped the '18' and just called it the Model 93. Mine was made in 1922.
Levergun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Levergun »

Mine was made in 1894 and it does not say anything on it as far as model. It has "Special Smokeless Steel" carved on the barrel and in front of the rear site is has the patent dates. The top of the reveive simpley says Marlin Firearms.

It is still a good shooter! :wink:
"In God We Trust"
www.Levergunleather.com
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

That is a keeper in our family!

Cheers,
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE