For those of you who like fine vintage winchester....76 & 73

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

For those of you who like fine vintage winchester....76 & 73

Post by RIHMFIRE »

LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hobie

Re: For those of you who like fine vintage winchester....76 & 73

Post by Hobie »

:!:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for that. And a BIG thanks for the drool rag warning.
Old Law Dawg
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I have seen those and plenty others on Merz's site over the years, even bought a few. Nothing like those, of course. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Nice condition on those. So nice that for either of the first two I would be inclined to suspect Turnbull Restorations of having a hand in there current condition!
Alan Wood
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Nice!!!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Alan Wood wrote:Nice condition on those. So nice that for either of the first two I would be inclined to suspect Turnbull Restorations of having a hand in there current condition!
Alan Wood
Too many little dings, scratches and even rust freckles. Even Turnbull can't be THAT good. I think they're original. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

claybob86 wrote:
Alan Wood wrote:Nice condition on those. So nice that for either of the first two I would be inclined to suspect Turnbull Restorations of having a hand in there current condition!
Alan Wood
Too many little dings, scratches and even rust freckles. Even Turnbull can't be THAT good. I think they're original. :)
Now that I have taken a closer look I agree that these are probably not Turnbull restorations. So if they are original how did they wind up in this good of condition this long after there manufacture? :?: Still nice weapons all the same.
Alan Wood
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Alan Wood wrote:
claybob86 wrote:
Alan Wood
Now that I have taken a closer look I agree that these are probably not Turnbull restorations. So if they are original how did they wind up in this good of condition this long after there manufacture? :?: Still nice weapons all the same.
Alan Wood
These are all "DELUX" custom ordered rifles that were probably purchased my some rich
guy to carry around as "jewelry"....and were hardly ever used....and sat in a beautiful
gun rack in his study ...or something like that....
The average guy could not afford them back then .............cant afford them now either.
Maybe if I trade my wife........

ouch
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

You mean, "drool bucket"! :wink:
Bob Winchester
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bob Winchester »

Pretty guns with VERY HANSOME price tags!
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

They are really nice guns. Turnbull's case colors show a lot more orange than the originals.

Does anyone know why some original guns retain sharp case color and others fade? I suspect that exposure to light might have something to do with it, or is it just handling wear?
There has to be an explanation as to why the case colors are still visible in protected parts of the old guns and teh rest of the gun is silver or brown. Just wondering.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

geobru wrote:There has to be an explanation as to why the case colors are still visible in protected parts of the old guns and teh rest of the gun is silver or brown. Just wondering.
Sunlight and polishing from carrying/wear will fade the colors. That's why it's obvious these guns sat most of their lives inside somewhere.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'm sure those guns are original. Talk about gorgeous! So beautiful they could make a grown man weep (when he realizes that he will never be able to own one like that).
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I was looking at an 1873 Rifle today, chambered to .32 WCF, that was in about 95% original condition except the sides of the receiver/plates, which had fading blue and showed some light scratching, as if someone had used a rough material to wipe it.
The bore was pristine, and the friend that was showing it to me had just happily paid $4K for it.

(sigh)

Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Beautiful firearms, those. They sure are the deluxe-cadillac-specials ! (assuming cadillac still implies something of quality to some of you)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

No "Cadillacs" there, them's Rolls Royce's. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Mike,

You're right I suppose--RR has always been a premier brand, though GMC's caddys once also stood for something fine. I've never owned one and never particularly wanted one. :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhh, they ain't nothin' but "truck guns". :lol:
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun wrote:Ahhh, they ain't nothin' but "truck guns". :lol:
Tomato stakes. :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

I do love a button magazine, and of course the rest is pure, unadulterated beauty!
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

KirkD wrote:
Sixgun wrote:Ahhh, they ain't nothin' but "truck guns". :lol:
Tomato stakes. :D
OUCH! Like that wood would EVER touch dirt, let alone be planted in it!!! But, I don't think I actually like to own something like that... I'd be afraid to shoot it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sometimes, I contemplate the possibility of selling all my old guns, taking the proceeds, and buying just one or two very nice ones (although the three listed in this post are so high, even selling all my guns would only be enough for a small downpayment). Trouble is, I like all my guns and don't want to sell any very badly.