OT: Shotgun Loads for Coyotes... What are you using???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

OT: Shotgun Loads for Coyotes... What are you using???

Post by Old No7 »

Ahoy the campfire from the coast of Maine...

It's long been a dream of mine to shoot a coyote with my Triple Deuce Rem 700, to go along with the nice bobcat that I shot a few years ago...
01-02-04 Bobcat 4.jpg
Bobcat Rug 01.JPG
Good thing that I got the "tougher to hunt" bobcat bagged first, as the local 'yotes have proven to be very elusive to date... So I've started to hunt more in the thick woods, rather than on the edges of fields. After Missing A Bobcat last winter with my 20 ga side-by-side, this winter I've decided to only use my 12 ga BPS Upland Special, a straight-grip pump shotgun with a short/handy 22" barrel. With an extra-full turkey choke up front, it's very handy and a thumper in the spring woods with #5 shot -- so it should do well with larger shot for coyotes or other fur critters.

Here's some patterns shot today with Rem 3" #4 Buck, at the range shown on these 8" targets...
(Man, those hurt, even with an extra layer of clothing on! :o)
4Buck - 3 Inch 12 Ga - 25 yards.jpg
4Buck - 3 Inch 12 Ga - 35 yards.jpg
4Buck - 3 Inch 12 Ga - 40 yards.jpg
I think this load will seal the deal if I can see some fur to shoot, and the 40-yard limit shouldn't be a handicap in the thick woods that I'll be hunting.

Now I've read some "internet reports" of hunters dropping coyotes out at 50 or 60 yards (or more... :?:) with Hevi-Shot's "Dead Coyote" loads, but at $3 to $4 per shot, I'd like to see it work first, before I believe it... Ever try it???

So I'm curious... What are you fur hunters using for coyotes loads in scatterguns?

Thanks!

Old No7

ps: Here's a handy chart showing shot & buck pellet sizes, for reference...
Shot and Buckshot Pellet Sizes.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Shotgun Loads for Coyotes... What are you using???

Post by Blaine »

Grandpa shot groundhogs and stray pests with HiBrass #4s and a Single Shot 12 ga. with full choke.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

When I first purchased my Remington 870 I bought several different acceptable loads (00-bb). I patterned all of them and settled on Winchester Supreme XX copper plated 00 buck in 3 inch shells. This one held together good enough out to 50 yards. I ended up buying 20 boxes. I still have plenty left.

I have read some articles about Dead Coyote and Hevi-Shot and I may try some in another 10 years or so.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

When I was in my early teens I hunted Coyote, and Fox with a group of Farmers in my area. They had dogs that they put on a track, and we would try to get in front of them before they crossed any roads. We didn't get many as they crossed ahead of us, but the ones we did get we all used 12 Ga. 3" BB, and it worked well out to 50 yards. if I were to hunt them today, I would put the same BB load in the chamber followed by your #4 buck in the magazine. In my state any Buckshot load was Illegal until after Jan 1st. It has been quite a few years since I hunted them, and the areas we hunted are now full of Houses. I am sure the Hevi-shot would work well at extended ranges, but I don't believe it is worth the extra $$$ Copper Plated shot seemed to work much better by the way also. I use to buy Copper plated shot in 5# bags, and load my own 3" Mags with a Lee Loader.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sorry, nothing for you. Don't use no shotgun on them critters.
Old Law Dawg
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

My buddy in New Mexico uses Winchester Supreme, 3", 4 buck and say it is really deadly load on the yodel dogs out to 60 yards. Don't remember what choke he is using in his 12 gauge Special Purpose 870. This guy is a coyote hunting fool and loves the challenge of calling dogs into that range. Little more challenging than popping them at the long distances that can be necessary in that desert southwest country. He carries both his shotgun and rifle when he goes out calling.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Don't use no shotguns on no stinking Coyotes. If they are close in my winchester 94 in .22mag works. For farther out shots I use a Howa bolt action in .204Ruger. Then there are my dogs. I have a Basenji(African hunting dog-fearless), Italian Greyhound, and a Min Schnauzer. If the Basenji thinks it is only one he will go after it, and the others will follow. I don't know how he knows but if its more than one he just howls back at it. So far he's always made it back.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

#4 Buck
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Used Remington 3" buffered 4 buck for years then the last time I tried to stock up, couldn't find any. I bought bunch of Winchester XXX 3" copper plated 4 buck(don't even know if they make that anymore either so that tells you how long it's been) and it has worked well too. Full choke, and if yo-tay is close to the center of the pattern, it will roll them into a ball at up to 60 yards. OO winds up with too many holes in the pattern for reaching that far, BBs lack penetration, so 4 buck seems the best compromise to me. Shotguns work best if you are teaming with someone else with a rifle or at night, calling. Haven't used shotguns much lately, coyotes don't seem to come as close to a call as they used to, and I've been using a rifle exclusively.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm thinking I will be using my Drilling for 'yotes & other small game this year. 9.3x72R to reach out and touch and 16ga for the feathers & close fur.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I shot a yote while putting up a deer stand this year. I wasnt specifically expecting a yote and had a 12 ga with full choke and #4 High Brass, it did a great job at approx. 30 yards with a head shot that broke the jaw bone.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

I have a Browning semi-auto 10ga that I use for goose hunting. Last year I was invited to a farm to shoot some late season geese and had Federal premium 3.5" BBB 1.5 ounce loads. I was standing on the edge of a cut corn field waiting for geese to fly by and a coyote popped out of the woods 45 yards away. I had a light modified choke and put the bead on his head and pulled the trigger. Dead dog. Pellets in head, neck, nice tight pattern. I usually use rifles for coyotes but this is nice to know.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

horsesoldier03 wrote:I shot a yote while putting up a deer stand this year. I wasnt specifically expecting a yote and had a 12 ga with full choke and #4 High Brass, it did a great job at approx. 30 yards with a head shot that broke the jaw bone.
I like #4 shot as well for coyote sized vermin. I've used #6's, but the #4's do a better job.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

That #4 buck should work real nice.I nailed a bobcat at 10 paces with my 870 while quail
hunting.I hit it with 7 1/2 shot and if I wasnt so close it wouldnt have stoped it.It ran into
a tunnel of brush and lay down.I went and grabbed my only other gun(17 hmr) and crawled
in and finished the job.If that happened again I wouldnt shoot one with such light loads.Those
#4 would of dropped it on the spot...
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

We take roe deer and lynx here in Sweden with #3, 2 or 1 standard shot loads, and if distance is not further than 30 yards, they drop in their tracks when hit with any shotgun bigger than 20 ga. Supposedly that should work fine with your coyotes too.

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The only fellow I know locally who calls 'e in close and seals the deal with a shotgun uses his turkey gun, and his turkey load, 3" magnum #4 shot. He shoots no farther than 30 yards, and says they are hammered to the ground. He gets a lot of them, so something's working.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The only shot gun shells I ever used on song dogs was 20gauge slugs. Those things put coyotes down with authority :shock:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I use a remington SP-10 autoloader in 10 ga. with #4 buckshot and an electronic call.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I've only hunted coyotes a time or two and that was with a rifle because at the time I didnt have a suitable shotgun. If I were to use a shotun it would bemy 870 12ga loaded with remington 2 3/4" 00 buck simply beause its what I have and patterns well out of my gun.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.