OT Saving my pennies for a 1911 - which one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

OT Saving my pennies for a 1911 - which one?

Post by pharmseller »

Since it's the centennial for the 1911 I'm saving my pennies to buy one.
Plus, every American should own one (kinda like a Garand).
I don't want or need a racehorse, tricked out 1911, I'm just looking for a good, reliable representation of the American standard.
What should I buy, and from where?

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Saving my pennies for a 1911 - which one?

Post by kimwcook »

There's a lot of good standard 1911's out there. Seems like everyone and their brothers making one anymore. Gonna run ya a couple of shiny pennies even for a good standard one. Springfield, Kimber, Sig, their making good standards. Can't talk about the new Colt's, haven't looked over a new one for a long time. I'd stick with name brands and go try'em out. Let us know what ya get.
Old Law Dawg
JohnB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JohnB »

I cannot say enough good things about Springfield Armory 1911.

I have had two Mil Spec models and they are all you need and nuthin' you don't!

I have never had a stovepipe, feed jam, broken anything and they both shot to point of aim.

Outstanding guns and the price can't be beat!

"Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time to criticize others." -Unknown
kooz
Levergunner 2.0

Post by kooz »

pharmseller wrote:I don't want or need a racehorse, tricked out 1911, I'm just looking for a good, reliable representation of the American standard.
What should I buy, and from where?

P
I have had excellent luck with my Springfield 1911-A1 Mil-spec, it has been the most rock solid 1911 I have ever owned, and I have had quite a few over the years.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I have 2 Taurus 1911s and a GSG 22. They are set up the same with standard "modifications" I wanted. They've all been good pistols. If I were looking for a standard configuration pistol, I'd probably get the Remington R1. None of the previous posts would be "wrong" either but that's what I'd get. It's not a true standard as it has a lowered/flared ejection port, better dove tailed sights and flat mainspring housing (the only thing I don't like about the GSG and to be changed soon) but the price is nice.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Springfield is a known standard.

The Remington is supposed to be good so far, but their sights are using nonstandard dovetails, so in the event you change, keep that in mind.

Taurus as well as Kimber have both good and bad. Kimber's QC in the last six or so years has dropped considerably (yes, some of you may have good ones, i'm talking at the pistolsmith level, guys reporting seeing about every third one having issues).

Either Colt, Springfield, couple other brands in the higher end guns.

RIA makes a decent shooter, they're Phillipine made and can be a little rough. I've heard both the Hi-Standard and Auto-Ordnance GI 1911s are performing reasonably well.

For a basic range gun, the Springfield Milspec would be my recommendation. It's still "GI" with minor improvements, like better sights.
zack coyote
Levergunner 1.0

Post by zack coyote »

I bought a new Colt 1991-A1, matte stainless steel about 8 years ago. Only one hicup, from a cheap mag. I only field strip it to clean it, and my wife uses it for her shooting classes with no problem. We do need better sights however. A little pricey, but a COLT!
We'll be remembered for what we've done, not what we have.
www.johndietzstudio.com
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have one of the Rock Island Armory ones made in the Phillipines. It is solid as a bank vault, if slightly rough due to not being polished. It is much less expensive than the others, everything for the Colt is interchangeable, and if you are willing to spend a little time, it polishes up very nice. I am still thinking about having the slide milled and getting some Novak sights put on it. The original G.I. style sights are a little rudimentary for my eyes nowadays.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Seems to me that if you want one like you want a Garand and for the same reason you should find one of the new 1911s by Colt... :wink: That's not to say one is better than the other as a shooter.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My thoughts exactly. Springfields prices have raised lately. The rock islands are a great bang for the buck. But I decided that I wanted one made in the US. The Remington R1 is what I decided on . It can be had for $600 which is a $100 more than the other two. It looks like a 1911 should in my opinion. They have a nice blue and fit and finish. For about $50 less you can get into a Para USA GI expert which are made in the US. The other US made choices are Kimber and S&W.

I do not plan on shooting the heck out this gun. So I just what a nice affordable piece to shoot every once in a while and after a 100 years of testing I should just get one.
Gary7
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Gary7 »

BenT wrote:My thoughts exactly. Springfields prices have raised lately. The rock islands are a great bang for the buck. But I decided that I wanted one made in the US. The Remington R1 is what I decided on . It can be had for $600 which is a $100 more than the other two. It looks like a 1911 should in my opinion. They have a nice blue and fit and finish. For about $50 less you can get into a Para USA GI expert which are made in the US. The other US made choices are Kimber and S&W.
Don't forget about Dan Wesson:

txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

just one word KIMBER

I have owned alot of 1911's over the years but my kimber is the most accurate of the bunch. :D

DAV life member.
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I have to agree with txpete, my Kimber Custom is my most accurate 1911 and one of my most accurate handguns. It's an original Custom not a Custom II.

But, if you are looking for a traditional looking 1911, if you don't want to spend the money that a new Colt 1911 or 1991 would cost, you might consider the Springfield GI 45 Mil-Spec, not the same as the regular Mil-Spec. Mine is a "good enough" shooter and it certainly looks alot like the true military issue 1911A1.

Mine came with brown plastic grips, similar to original GI grips. I think the newer ones have wooden "US" grips; real GI grips are available and affordable.

As for GI sights, it's all what you get used to. (they are exactly like the sights on my 1954 Commander) It's not a target pistol pistol, I kind of "point and shoot" anyway; I don't actually line up the sights on target each time I pull the trigger.

The only changes that I made to mine were a wide spur hammer from Fusion and a Colt small shelf safety from Midway USA. The finish on both of these parts match the pistol perfectly.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've owned and traded several over the years.

My 'first' was an AMT stainless 'Government Model', and to this day it is the most reliable. Dropped many times on gravel, in mud, and even on a concrete slab floor (I had a habit of sticking it in my Carhart pocket and it would fall out - finally got a clip-on holster I liked). Surface rust on the matted stainless I brush off every year or so. Never jams, whether I feed it factory, reloads, hollowpoints, lead round nose, and even lead semi-wadcutters.

Since then I've shot and owned a Colt, a couple from Para-Ordnance (including the LDA), and a Rock-Island double-stack, and although I've liked the others just fine, and reliability seemed adequate, I just never shot any of them enough to get to that point of utter 'trustability'. So , I keep going back to the AMT, because it is so reliable, and I've already scratched, dinged, and rusted enough on it that I figure I'll never be all guilty because I messed it up by more wear and tear. My AMT at first did have some jamming, as have all the others, but after a couple thousand rounds (ammo was cheap when I was a kid) it just sort of self-tuned and got smooth and reliable.

The reason I mention this is that I think if you get any of the 'generics' (the AMT was the ultimate 'generic' back in the day), you'll eventually be quite happy with it, if you want a 'shooter'.

If you want a 1911 to put on the wall beside a vintage Garand, get a Colt from the 1940's, preferably one with a military service history. If you value the Garand more as a well-made firearm you can use, that happens to be of military/historic interest, then a 'copy' of a Colt would likely fill the comparable 'handgun' niche.

My son's recent Rock Island single-stack 'Government' model appears to be a nicely made gun, and though it needs the first 500 rounds fired before we decide if it needs any 'tuning', I'm not disappointed in it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

And, then you could always get a Les Baer. :D :D :D

Old Law Dawg
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

Kimber for me.

Cheers,

Carl
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Good 1911s at reasonable prices are coming from the Phillipines and Brazil these days. I believe the Springfield GI is Brazilian, or at least has a Brazilian frame. For and American-made 1911 that's close to GI specs and affordably-priced for folks like me, I'd think the current Remington would be a good one. If price is not a major obstacle, of course, Colt can still do one for you.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Springfield Mil Spec.

I have a GI and the only thing keeping me from recommending it is it has GI sights also, so its a bit more (ok- a lot more) work to fit custom sights to it if you want
----- Doug
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

SPRINGFIELD ARMORY MIL-SPEC. Looks right, shoots right and priced right! They've been offered since mid/late 1980's and have it down pretty good. I've heard SA customer service is first rate, though you may never need it.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I just sold RIA compact all tricked out ( Night Sights-extended slide release- amb safety- Bull barrell) for $500.I still have 2 or 3 Mags for it if someone needs. Frankly I would Scout the Gun Shows ,hock shops and wherever else U can find Guns for a Real 1911. I am patient in that respect.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

I have (12) 1911's floating around. I have Colts, a Springfield and a few Kimbers. My Kimbers are the most accurate I have ever shot. I have a Kimber ultra carry (3in)that will out shoot both of my Gold Cups. No matter what you have read on the internet, their QC is fine. If you want to see crappy Quality Control, buy a newer Marlin :roll: . Stick with the folks that have been making 1911's for awhile. Not Sig, S&W etc. The Rock Islands have also gotten really good reviews as parts interchange and they are easy to build off of. If you want a Colt, look for a 70 series as what they are putting out now is not worth the money or headache. You could not give me a modern Colt product
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned quite a few 1911's and of course I have my favorites. For you first 1911, I would recomend staying with the 5 inch gun, although my favorite carry guns are commander length, 4.25 but most of that size are now 4 inch guns and set up quite a bit different then the originals, as is my Lightweight Springfield mil spec GI, 4 inch gun.

You need to be aware of the difference between series 70 and 80 Colts, and also regarding Kimber, the Kimber II's have a Swarts style firing pin block safety; this safety is fuel for some hot debates on the internet. I own one 3 inch gun that is a Kimber II, and while I have not had any trouble with mine, I have a couple of friends who have had some issues with them, and I will not buy another II, however, Kimber has some really neat models out, and some still do not have the firing pin block safety.

Colt is offering a new Series 70 government, and I recently purchased one of those, and I have an old series 70 that has been customized and I have shot if for many years. I also own a Wilson Combat 5 inch gun, and It is the best 1911, I have ever owned, but of course, I paid a lot for it.

As far as sights go, I like a good Bo Mar Adjustable on a Target, or Match gun. I do not like the original Gold Cup rear sights. There are lots of guns out with good high profile fixed sights, including nite sights, and they are all mostly pretty good. I really do not place a lot of value on night sights, unless I am competing in IDPA night shoots, and that game is rigged for night sights.

The old low profile GI sights still have their advantages also, for a carry gun. I have fancy sights on several of my 1911's, but my favorite carry gun, is the little Lightweight Springfield with the tiny GI sights, and I have no desire to change those sights, as I much prefer their no snag qualities, because I don't always use a conventional holster, and I find that I can hit plenty good enough with the GI sights on that gun, anyway.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Looks like a dead heat between a Springfield Mil Spec and a Kimber of some sort--- absolutely no arguments here -- 13 or 14 years when i worked at a fairly serious range part time, everybody came in with a Kimber. (at the time, my focus was on high power hunting rifles, so i didnt care, just an observation)

I'm a Colt maniac though, i told myself if i lost 50 pounds this year, i'd trat myself to a Gold Cup ---- some of you fellas are making me re-think (not my weight loss goals, just the carrot on the end of the stick)
----- Doug
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Kimber was good. But as I said....they've nosedived in quality lately.

Springfield frames are made by Imbel. One of the two manufacturers of FALs in the world (the other being DSA), they've been making 1911s since 1945 or so...nothing wrong with them for being Brazilian.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I have a Springfield MILSPEC 5" and agree, it is a solid platform and has never had a Failure to feed, fire or eject. A Great Pistol, my only complaint is that it ejects the brass inconsistently and is a bit heavy. My Brother in Law has a KIMBER Pro Carry. I hate to say it but it is an awesome pistol and puts mine to shame in a side by side comparison. It shoots tighter groups, came with night sights and is alot more pleasent to carry if you decide you want to have a concealed carry weapon. That being said, his cost almost TWICE what I paid for mine!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

once you start talking 1911's and what to buy its like underwear,ford chevy,marlin winchester ect ect ect.
I have owned atleast half dozen colts,4-5 springfields,and issued a bunch of old colts in the army.(btw the M-9 was a mistake imho).
all I can say is my kimber custom (not custom II) can out shoot any of them.I have had zero problems.they are a excellent pistol accurate and well made.
so pharmseller see if any of the guys here live near by with 1911's and see if you can get some range time with them and their 45's.if you get down this way (TEXAS) you would be more than welcome to try my kimber out at the range :D .
pete
DAV life member.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

IMO doesn't really matter the brand, what matters is the "MilSpec" bit.

Most 1911's these days have been modded WAAAY too much. That's why they often need "reliability" packages.

Forget fully supported, ramped, no-bushing etc toys. Get the gun JMB designed. Lightweight supermetals are OK, but beyond that, for a carry/combat gun, I think you are asking for grief.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

Rumor has it Ruger will soon be coming out with a 1911. Might be one to look at, and it will certainly be American made.
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

Got the Remington R1 after lots of comparing.. very happy with it !!!!
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Two years ago I bought a used RIA 5" "Government Model" with the gray-green phosphate finish, for $290 OTD. That Rock Island shocked me with how well it has performed and how accurate it is. I have over 700 rds through it and it has NOT failed to feed, eject, fire, etc., not even once. This is shooting FMJ factory or plated 230 gr reloads from McCormick Shooting Star mags.

Further, the RIA's accuracy is actually better than that of my Series 70 Gold Cup. It shoots as if laser-guided, and I have no problems hitting claybirds on edge on the 25 yd berm, 7/7, time and again.

It's almost boring.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a Para Ord 1911...Nice!

I have a Kimber Custom...Real nice!

My next .45acp will be a Sig P220, though :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

The Springfield Mil-Spec is a good basic .45, mine would not group for beans new, on the order of 8" groups at 25yds. A trip back to Springfield turned it into a 2" gun. I like it.

My Kimber CDP 4" has also proven accurate and reliable. I like it a lot also.

But, when I bought my Les Bear PII, I fell in love.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Kimber or Para Ordinance have both worked well for me.

Check the Para GI Expert for price and configuration. I just checked Gun Genie and my local FFL price was less than $500 for one in carbon steel and they are very nice looking standard 1911s with just a few of the more desirable updates. That's a great price on a U.S. made 1911 in my view.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

As stated before, the 1911 debate is an unending subject. I think you can get yourself a good serviceable 1911 for 500-700 dollars but you are always taking somewhat of a chance because all guns are individuals. I have been fortunate as I've always bought used but have been able to shoot them first. I have an older Colt combat commander in satin nickel, an enhanced series 80 Colt lightweight commander ( my carry gun ), and an older Springfield mil-spec that I've made a few mods to. The old Colt is the most fussy feeder but they all feed 200gr cast truncated bullets all day long. My son has one of the new Para GI experts and loves it. I have a friend that has an older Kimber custom and a Les Baer. He says for the difference in money the Kimber shoots pretty close to the Baer.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

I did not see STI mentioned.They make some great 1911's in Texas.Take a look at the Spartan and Trojan models, a lot of gun for the money.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Well I sure don't know which 1911 is the best. I'll just say that after a lot of head scratching and reading, I got a Springfield 'Loaded' so that I could adjust the trigger. It also has tritium sights (although you will have to have the tritium topped up every 4 or 5 years, judging from how mine have faded a bit over the past several years). I chose the black finish so that it would be less eye-catching when I want it to have a low profile. I've used the tritium night sights several times outside at night when the dog was indicating a problem out there. They work good. Here's mine ....

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

If you are not going for a 70 series Colt so you have the name, then take a long hard look at the Kimber(s). Their fit and finish is excellent and they are extremely accurate right out of the box. They also have a long list of models so you can get about any option you want. JMHO
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

KirkD wrote:Well I sure don't know which 1911 is the best. I'll just say that after a lot of head scratching and reading, I got a Springfield 'Loaded' so that I could adjust the trigger. It also has tritium sights (although you will have to have the tritium topped up every 4 or 5 years, judging from how mine have faded a bit over the past several years). I chose the black finish so that it would be less eye-catching when I want it to have a low profile. I've used the tritium night sights several times outside at night when the dog was indicating a problem out there. They work good. Here's mine ....

Kirk,
that is a great looking Springfield, but then I think you could make a chinese AK look great with the way you take pictures.

Steve
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

SJ Price

HAHAHA! You're so right. I don't know how he does it???? :lol:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I know that everybody loves his own 1911; and typically you will receive recommendations that are merely a rehash of what each person owns as the best .45 available. I have owned a Colt MkIV Series 70 since I was a young deputy sheriff, and now carry it as my primary concealed weapon as a retired peace officer. I would not part with it.

But that is not what I'd recommend, as the best gun for the PRICE at today's costs, per your "saving the pennies" inference. You want an excellent, sub $1,000 .45? Get a Springfield! It costs hundreds less.

See, for instance, articles by Gun-Tests.com, a legitimately unbiased consumer testing magazine that accepts no favors or ads from the industry.

Call it "the gun owner's Consumer Reports," if you like. Throughout the years I have subscribed to it, Springfield's 1911 models have regularly fared well in testing by this magazine. And they are not afraid of flunking, for instance, an expensive Beretta shotgun and giving a "A+" to a much cheaper one, if it tests better. So I believe their ratings.

Here is one article that I found that is still on line - a teaser for their more complete article. Grab this link while it is still online:
http://www.gun-tests.com/issues/16_7/fe ... 174-1.html

This is an older article that is reminiscent of recent tests, but I am a bit rushed for time this week and don't have time to research my library for the latest tests.

For the most .45 for your money, and considering the true 1911 look, functionality and repairability, Springfield Armory's offerings win hands down. Unless you insist on Rolls Royce finish and fit or Kimber accuracy for target work or pinpoint shooting around hostages, the Springfield .45 will work as well or better in a gunfight as anything else at half the cost or less.

WHERE to buy? You need to shop around; you may bet a very good deal from a neighborhood gun store or FFL holder.

To find some comparisons, go to Davidson's Gun Genie (online - Google it) and enter ".45 ACP" as the caliber and "Springfield" as the brand and see what you get, and then run those offerings against other sites or dealers in your area. I recently got my best price on a Ruger Colt .45 New Model Model Blackhawk convertible (.45 ACP/.45 Colt cylinders) by transacting the deal with Davidson's, which entertains bids from several dealers nationwide.

At the site, you can find a dealer near or in your Zip Code, accept a transaction at the price that suits you if it's the right one, and then pay a portion (Pay Pal or charge card or whatever) to Davidson's. But the dealer bids don't obligate you until you decide to make the purchase, so it's a very good way to shop, with a wider variety of choices.

Davidson's will ship the gun to the local or nearby dealer of your choice, if you use their service, and you pick it up there after any required paperwork, waiting period if it applies in your state, and payment of the remaining cost of the gun. Because Davidson's provides a wider exposure to the local participating gun dealers, you can sometimes strike a better deal by going through them first, instead of dealing directly with the dealer. If you special order a gun from a dealer because the gun is not on his shelves, you frequently have to wait until he receives his next large shipment (to save freight costs), and or pay a higher than usual amount for the firearm. With Davidson's, the dealer knows that if he doesn't bid low enough, then next guy in his town will get the business.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pharmseller, please forgive me, one thing I've got to forewarn you about is possible hammer bite. If you haven't actually shot a number of rounds through a 1911 with a standard hammer and grip safety do so. Some people, me included, can't shoot a standard hammer w/standard grip safety without getting serious hammer bite. The web of my hand slides up the back side of the safety and when the hammer rebounds on cycling it pinches the web. I'll be bleeding like crazy within two magazines. I have to have a beavertail safety and commander hammer.

The only other advice I can give you is to practice. Getting used to the thumb safety without thinking about it takes repetitions for motor muscle memory to lock into place and if you're going to carry for defense you owe it to yourself and everyone else to become proficient.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

It has been a long time since I sold my Ithaca .45, that piece worked fine. A few years ago my grandson bought a Springfield GI. It took over 500 hundred rounds just to get it shooting fairly well. As was already said it is not an American made 1911, the frame is made in Brazil. He carries it now and it's reliable. Right now I am keeping my son's guns while he is overseas. I carry his Rock Island and feel just fine with it, we have never had one issue with this 1911. What ever you choose, enjoy it. every one needs at least one in their life.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Here's the new offering from Cimarron Arms. Mil spec 1911 - note frame.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

As my photo below suggests, normally I'm a Colt guy...but given the quality issues I had from Colt last year, no way would I buy a new one from them again. I had a Springfield "loaded" several years ago that I ended up trading and regretted it ever since. As far as I'm concerned, it was the perfect 1911. I know most die hards are series 70's fans, but I do like the Series 80's over the 70's personally. I think they are generally safer for carry than the 70's. But then that's just me. All 3 of the Colts below are series 80's...one .38 Super enhanced, one Delta, and one .45 enhanced. I think the Springfield I had was better quality though.

The Delta has the Ivory Wood grips from Esmeralda, and the bottom piece is actually a WWII Ithaca frame with a Kart 22 kit.

Ed
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

klhill wrote:I did not see STI mentioned.They make some great 1911's in Texas.Take a look at the Spartan and Trojan models, a lot of gun for the money.
Yes!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

kimwcook wrote:Pharmseller, please forgive me, one thing I've got to forewarn you about is possible hammer bite. If you haven't actually shot a number of rounds through a 1911 with a standard hammer and grip safety do so. Some people, me included, can't shoot a standard hammer w/standard grip safety without getting serious hammer bite. The web of my hand slides up the back side of the safety and when the hammer rebounds on cycling it pinches the web. I'll be bleeding like crazy within two magazines. I have to have a beavertail safety and commander hammer.
I've got a Norwegian that I simply can't shoot for that reason - bites me bad.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Grizzly Adams wrote:Here's the new offering from Cimarron Arms. Mil spec 1911 - note frame.

That sure is an interesting mishmash there...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
wavetrain75
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wavetrain75 »

It really depends on how many pennies you plan on saving. Rock Island Armory makes a very solid 1911 that can be had for around $400. Charles Daily is another good less expensive model.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

wavetrain75 wrote:It really depends on how many pennies you plan on saving. Rock Island Armory makes a very solid 1911 that can be had for around $400. Charles Daily is another good less expensive model.
Unfortunately CD is a goner.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright