OT: German Shephard

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

OT: German Shephard

Post by HEAD0001 »

I have always wanted to get a German Shepherd. But now I am getting pretty serious about it. The problem I have is that I have heard alot of pure bred German Shepherds have serious hip problems when they are young. Is this true?? Anybody know anything about the dog's?? Should I buy a purebred?? Or should I buy a mongrel that looks like one?? I really would like to have the real purebred dog if I can. Just wondering what you guys know about these dogs. Thanks, Tom.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: German Shephard

Post by Buffboy »

The hip problems usually show up later in life with these dogs though can show very early in their lives. Shepherds aren't the only dogs with this problem it can effect labs too and it can stack with crosses. I had a cross of the two (both purebreds, oops wrong dog at the wrong time) and he was a good dog while I had him. He developed this problem at about 6. None of the purebred labs or shepherds of this breeder had this problem but you can still wind up getting it in the cross. He was gone much too early.

How to avoid it? Research your breeder. There are breeders that guarantee their dogs do not suffer from this malady and go to great extremes to keep it out of their genetics. That means you won't be shopping price, a short time breeder is a no-no. You have to buy from a breeder that has a good track record and talk to long time owners of their dogs to be sure of the genetics.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Pretty much what Buffboy said.
Old Law Dawg
azzhandler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azzhandler »

I grew up around shephards they are very smart dogs and very protective of the owner and family, what I also noticed about the dogs I was around , is they tend to get grumpy as they age, I am not saying all of them do but out of the 5 or 6 I was familar with about half of them, I did not fully trust,
they also have teeth about the length of daggers, but none of them ever had any hip troubles .
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I was talking to a local breeder about this about a year ago. She said that the problem has been eliminated in the association of which she is a member. I don't know the association, however, as we have at least two schools of German Shepherd breeders around here ..... those of the German school, who specialize in European dogs and those of the North American school, and I can't remember which association she was involved in. I've had a couple pure bred German Shepherds and never had any problems with them when they were young, but they didn't survive long enough to get old. I've switched to Maremmas which seem to be a lot more protective of their territory (farm/yard dog), but love kids and a lot more hardy. We currently have an un-neutered male who gets increasingly aggressive the closer a stranger gets to the house, but is also as docile as a lamb with the kids .... here's a photo that illustrates the friendly side of him with one of my daughters.

Last edited by KirkD on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Any larger breed of dogs can suffer from hipdisplasia. If you are considering a dog, do like you would about getting married(can be the same thing), meet the parents! You may be able to determine a lot about both physical and mental characteristics by meeting the parents. Some can be aggresive to the point of being unmanageable. Some can be dumb as a single rock not the whole box. Another good tactic is to ask the breeder for the names of owners of other offspring of the parents. Buffboys suggestion of a puppy warantee is a good one also. Contact your local AKC group for a list of breeders. They may have some opinions about the breeders too. Frequently you can get a good quality companion animal from a show breeder. The animals that cant be good show prosects can be excellent companions. Show dogs can have better temperments than guard or random stock. Any way you look at it though a puppy is still a stuff shoot.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have seen several German Shepards that were friendly to everyone, but I have also owned and been around others that were very one person dogs, or at the most would only tolerate close family members and wanted to attack everyone else they seen.

Some of these dogs were dogs that were just plain too dangerous and a real liability to own, espacally in this modern world full of lawyers who be more then happy to take a dog attack case.

Many years ago, I was given a white German Shepard that was already full grown, by a cousin of mine. I put it in the truck and hauled it home. My grandfather heard that I had taken the dog, and called me, to warn met that the dog was bad, and might bite someone.

I didn't really believe him, as I couldn't see it in the dog. It seemed friendly enough to me, and took up with me, but one day, my wife was walking up behind me, and the dog tried to attack her, I believe if I had not stopped the dog, it would have seriously hurt or killed her.

I was shocked by the dog's behavior, and from that day on, that dog wanted to kill my wife. But, he was not that way towards me. Unfortunately, I felt the dog was too dangerous to own, and too dangerous to give to anyone else, either.

And he is not the only German Shepard that I have seen like that. I don't trust German Shapards much.
NRA Life Member, Patron
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

My only experience with German Shepherds was one time I went to a farm house on business, parked my car, started to walk to the house. About half way there, this German Shepherd came rocketing around the corner of the house, fangs bared, looking like it was going to rip my throat out and have me for lunch! I had no place to go to get away, so I scrooched down and smiled and said "Hi, puppy!" or something like that, and that critter just melted into an instant friend. Lucky day for me, I know they're not all like that!
Have you hugged your rifle today?
cessnapilot
Levergunner

Post by cessnapilot »

Besides temperment, another thing to consider is that they shed a lot. It's known as "blowing thier coat" We had a White German Shepard, he was a great dog, lived to twelve I think. He shed so much you would have to vacuum three times a day and you still wouldn't get up all the fur. There was so much dog hair around I could swear if you had a few extra dog parts you could create another pet.

We have a Weimaraner now that we got from a rescue, not as smart, spoiled rotten, but he's a great guy.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I recommend the similar Belgian Malinois for a similar configuration that is statistically smarter, easier to train and has less associated health issues. Of course that's what statistics show but each breed has it's individual stars and duds. The BM's we've had and handled were all top notch over the years.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

+1000 on the Belgian Malinois. I've known several and all but one were retired LEOs. Amazing animals and if I were to ever spend real money on a dog they are top of my list. None of the physical or mental challenges found so often in German Shepherds.

I've never owned a pure German Shepherd and wanted one for the longest time. I just could not find a way for the pros to outweigh the cons for me personally. I ended up with a mix that I loved dearly and was an awesome dog. The hip dysplasia was sad to watch and was eventually his undoing.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
cajun_64
Levergunner

Post by cajun_64 »

HEAD0001 wrote:I have always wanted to get a German Shepherd. But now I am getting pretty serious about it. The problem I have is that I have heard alot of pure bred German Shepherds have serious hip problems when they are young. Is this true?? Anybody know anything about the dog's?? Should I buy a purebred?? Or should I buy a mongrel that looks like one?? I really would like to have the real purebred dog if I can. Just wondering what you guys know about these dogs. Thanks, Tom.
I also had a white GSD. Best dog I ever had, but the dealing with the shedding was a constant problem.
If you go the pure breed route, most reputable dealers will offer a warranty regarding health issues and documented proof of no hip displasia issues.

You can always go the rescue route, also. There are GSD rescue organizations all across the country and the AKC website has listings of them.

Much luck in your search!
oltimber
Levergunner

Post by oltimber »

I agree with Buffboy,
Do a lot of reserch on the hips before you buy. I had to put my female of 10 years down last september and my heart is still tour out. She was the best dog i ever had and never left my side.
oltimber
44magHunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44magHunter »

I have a German Shepherd. Her name is "Luger"..... after the gun, NOT the Senator. She is by far the smartest and most loyal dog I have ever seen. She obeys very well and learns really fast. She is so 'loyal' infact, that she cannot stand when I leave the room she is in, even if she can see me. She is the best dog ever!!!

As far as the hip problems go, you want to get a dog with 'wide' hips and an overall stocky build. I think hip problems are more prominent with AKC or "Americanized" shepherds, but I don't know for sure. Luger is almost a pure breed. Her mother was 100% GERAMAN German Shepherd and her pap was half German and half AKC or "Americanized." She has pretty much the best build I have ever seen in a dog.

Hope this helps.
44mag.

I would post pics, but cannot figure out how to get them on here from my files on my PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Levergun: Marlin, Ruger, Hornaday, Henry, Williams, Leupold
Black Gun: AeroPrecision, Magpul, Streamlight, Remington, McMillan, Sierra, Badger Ordinance, Harris, Jewel Triggers, Leupold
Archery: Hoyt, GoldTip, Axcel/TruBall, FeatherVision, Specialty, AAE, VaneTec, Doinker, ZeroTolerance, TopHat, Leupold
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

claybob86 wrote:My only experience with German Shepherds was one time I went to a farm house on business, parked my car, started to walk to the house. About half way there, this German Shepherd came rocketing around the corner of the house, fangs bared, looking like it was going to rip my throat out and have me for lunch! I had no place to go to get away, so I scrooched down and smiled and said "Hi, puppy!" or something like that, and that critter just melted into an instant friend. Lucky day for me, I know they're not all like that!
They aren't,
still have the scars on my leg to prove it. :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

My Mom raised German shephards all while raising four boys. She sold them to the police and military and some individuals. Out of 100s of them we did have one crazy dog I had to shoot. It had blue tongue when it was small, maybe made it crazy. But this breed is my dog of choice.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Always wanted one myself. Now that is a real dog!!! Good luck! :D