Why are single-action revolvers still so popular?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Why are single-action revolvers still so popular?

Post by J Miller »

On the serious side :roll: , my love of single actions started when I was about 5 years old or so. It was my non handgun owning fathers fault. He, mom and I went to the outdoor theater in Farmington, NM and watched a John Wayne movie.
That would have been about 1957 or so and the movie was of course a first run. So John Wayne was my first mentor for the SAA. That does not make it nostalgia exactly but something about it really got my attention.

When I finally reached the legal age to buy handguns my very first gun was a Colt Peacemaker .22 Convertible. That was nearly 40 years ago and I haven't been without at least one single action for very long since.
I've used them for everything you can use a revolver for and found they work just as good as DA revolvers.
Currently I have four. This number is of course subject to change at a moments notice without warning.

OH, I didn't answer the OP question.
For me the SA is popular because it feels good in my hand. Is comfortable to shoot, pleasing to look at, simple to maintain, durable (far more so than my DA revolvers), and just fun to use.
And I like the click, click, clack, click they make when you cycle the action.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Gub-mint gave me my first single action a little over 40 years ago. I ain't seen a need to progress. Oh wait, you're asking about REVOLVERS!

Back to what I said before: Rugged Elegance. The rest of you guys are motor-mouths!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff,

Did they let you keep the 1911a1, or were they indian givers?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Griff, come to think of it my introduction to single actions was from a much older army cousin - my parents almost age. They went down to the vineyard and shot some 45s from a Govt Model and later I went down and dug one of the FMJ slugs out of one of the 6x6 posts - thanks for bringing that memory back. And now I have had a couple of Nickel Colt 1911s but kept the actually better Springfield Military model from 30 years ago. :) :) :) Wow!!!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:Griff,
Did they let you keep the 1911a1, or were they indian givers?
Joe
Not that initial one! Not sure I'd have wanted it!
Old Savage wrote:Griff, come to think of it my introduction to single actions was from a much older army cousin - my parents almost age. They went down to the vineyard and shot some 45s from a Govt Model and later I went down and dug one of the FMJ slugs out of one of the 6x6 posts - thanks for bringing that memory back. And now I have had a couple of Nickel Colt 1911s but kept the actually better Springfield Military model from 30 years ago. :) :) :) Wow!!!
I think some of those "off-brand" military units were actually the best you could get.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Like TravisM said
I couldn't hit anything with it! My hands were just to small for the Houge grips on it and it felt strange to "choke up" on it instead of holding low as on the plow handle grips.
I can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside if I shoot double action, and I can actually shoot single action faster than double if I use my left thumb in a double handed right hand grip.
I have however found that I can shoot a security six with original grips in a similar fashion to a SA because it is made to fit a small hand, and doesn't need "choking". Still can't hit jack in DA though :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
stanforth
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stanforth »

.45colt wrote:They would always have been around but I think Ruger did more for the SA than anyone ..
How come? Colt did the most.... They invented it :mrgreen:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

stanforth wrote:
.45colt wrote:They would always have been around but I think Ruger did more for the SA than anyone ..
Colt may have invented the SA but prior to Ruger they were all still in the black powder class. Ruger brought them into the modern era with the Blackhawk.

Joe
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

I prefer DA to the point that I no longer have any SA. I do almost all my shooting single action. The reason I have DA is that the ejection/reload system is more convenient and quicker.

There are historical examples of SA revolvers that used a swing out simultaneous ejection and if someone made a modern example I would probably have several of them. Unfortunately the industry is dominated by the cowboy & Indian fantasy market to the point that practical utility has been supressed in favor of nostalgia.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bagtic,

Check out this thread over on Single-Actions forum:
http://singleactions.proboards.com/inde ... hread=5014
Uberti's got you covered.

Joe
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

J Miller wrote:
stanforth wrote:
Colt may have invented the SA but prior to Ruger they were all still in the black powder class. Ruger brought them into the modern era with the Blackhawk.
Joe
But Joe,

You think Ruger or Sturm were smart enough to invent one from scratch. All their production pieces are really nothing more than good copies or adaptations of someone else's design? Without the original, I wonder if Ruger would have make such an impact. Sacriledge, I know!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

kimwcook wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Women like them - my wife saw the 44 Special Ruger Flat Top (current model) sitting on the dining room table and said "that is very attractive" and she meant it! :)
If I had one with pearl grips my wife might say something like "that pearl is pretty" or if it was small she might think it's cute. But, other than that I don't think my wife would say it's attractive as a general statement.

My wife wanted this one because she thought it was pretty.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:
J Miller wrote:
stanforth wrote:
Joe
But Joe,

You think Ruger or Sturm were smart enough to invent one from scratch. All their production pieces are really nothing more than good copies or adaptations of someone else's design? Without the original, I wonder if Ruger would have make such an impact. Sacriledge, I know!
Griff,
No I don't think so at all. If you'll look at Rugers history it all about taking existing designs and improving them. Had there been no Colt SAA, there would never have been a Ruger Blackhawk.
JReed wrote:
kimwcook wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Women like them - my wife saw the 44 Special Ruger Flat Top (current model) sitting on the dining room table and said "that is very attractive" and she meant it! :)
If I had one with pearl grips my wife might say something like "that pearl is pretty" or if it was small she might think it's cute. But, other than that I don't think my wife would say it's attractive as a general statement.

My wife wanted this one because she thought it was pretty.
Jeremy,
I agree with her. What caliber is it?

Joe
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Joe
Its in good old .45colt as if there was another option :wink:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jeremy,
Really there is no other option.

"The .45 Colt, first, foremost, and forever." - J Miller

Joe
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Just a question here: was the 45 Colt the first cartridge the single action was chambered for???
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Old Savage wrote:Just a question here: was the 45 Colt the first cartridge the single action was chambered for???
Fred, I've read that when it was first presented to the Army for testing it was chambered for the .44 Colt cartridge. The Army rejected that wanting a .45 caliber round. Colt and Frankford Arsenal then combined efforts and the .45 Colt was born.

I would love to find a written report on the gun trials of the early 1870s. That would answer many questions I have.

Joe
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Did I already say "Because they're cool"?

Old Law Dawg
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Did I say they were cool? :D :D :D

Old Law Dawg
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I had a Casull just like that. Wish I had never sold it... :cry:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

You guys are killing me with these fine pistolas.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Oh heck, here' mine:
Joes SAs.JPG
For now anyway.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

If you like firing 6 inaccurate shots very rapidly, I would get the DA. But if you like firing 6 very accurate shots rapidly enough with an ultra-cool looking gun, I would get the SA. ;)

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Old Savage wrote:Just a question here: was the 45 Colt the first cartridge the single action was chambered for???
Could be between the .44 henry rimfire flat, 44-40, and the 45? Good trivia question.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Everything I've ever read either says or implies that it was. The one I give most credence is John Taffin, who stated in his article "The Colt Single Action Army" on sixguns.com:

"The now legendary Colt Single Action Army was first offered in the now equally legendary .45 Colt. Basically designed for the military market, the SAA was offered in a barrel length of seven and one half- inches to duplicate the feel of the 1851 Navy and 1860 Army. The Single Action Colt was soon offered with a five and one-half inch barrel, the Artillery Model as opposed to the longer Cavalry Model. When the barrel length was cut even with the ejector rod housing one of the finest balanced sixguns (the finest?) ever emerged, the four and three-quarter inch barreled single action."

He may have stated it subconsciously tongue-in-cheek. But even Mr. Taffin's subconscious is probably very reliable. ;)

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

Single-action revolvers hearken to a bygone era, albeit one that popular culture has romanticized, dramatized and distorted until contemporary (say, the last hundred years) perception only vaguely resembles the reality of that time.

Besides, they just plain get the job done.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Here is my finest: a U.S. Arms Abilene(Riverhead, NY mfg.), in 44 Mag. I believe many folks missed a fine pistol when these were made back in the 70's. My brother bought this new back in the late 70's.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I was a latecomer to SA sixguns, late 1990's, in my late 30's, after shooting autoloaders and DA sixguns since 1983, but with my USFA Single Action, something just clicked, no pun intended. It was as if there was no learning curve; I seemed to take naturally to the SA.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.