Scoping my leverguns....(sigh)........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Scoping my leverguns....(sigh)........

Post by centershot »

:( Yeah........after 51 years of diabetes my vision is deteriorating. Right eye is 20/200, left is 20/40. Doc calls it macular edema, fluid accumulating on the retina. We're still undergoing treatment but so far no success. Oh well, life goes on.........My question: I used my inline muzzleloader to hunt this year, it has a Leupold VX-1 1-4x shotgun scope with heavy crosshairs on it (centerfire rifles are not allowed here). It worked well enough that I bought two more, one for my 44 mag carbine and the other one for my 30-30. This scope has parallax adjusted to 75 yds. at the factory. That's about right for the 44, but I'm wondering about the 30-30. I sometimes take shots out to 150 yards or so with the 30-30; Is that going to be a problem using this scope at longer range? Thanks for your insights!

Patrick
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scoping my leverguns....(sigh)........

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I would use a 3x9x40 for 150 yds........same as my 06
I have a 4x on my 30-30 but never took a shot beyond 50 with it..
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D Nope. Not an issue. Most people can't hold for a 1-2 MOA parallax shift @ 200 yards to know the difference. Consistent cheek weld will be more important than the parallax. If you feel uncomfortable call Leupold, they will change the parallax setting to 100 or 150 yards for you for a small fee (or not). Nice scopes by the way !!

I hope this helps, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

+1 on what Cementhead said. Parallax settings are always a compromise(on nonadjustable scopes) and IMO that one is just fine for your intended purpose.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Sshouldn't be an issue. Only one way to find out, set up some targets and burn some powder. What else do you have to do.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Even if you are 21 and 20/20 it is better to scope the levergun because - YOU CAN SEE THE TARGET BETTER and handling don't mean sh$&%$&%$T.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

centershot wrote::( Yeah........after 51 years of diabetes my vision is deteriorating. Right eye is 20/200, left is 20/40. Doc calls it macular edema, fluid accumulating on the retina. We're still undergoing treatment but so far no success. Oh well, life goes on.........My question: I used my inline muzzleloader to hunt this year, it has a Leupold VX-1 1-4x shotgun scope with heavy crosshairs on it (centerfire rifles are not allowed here). It worked well enough that I bought two more, one for my 44 mag carbine and the other one for my 30-30. This scope has parallax adjusted to 75 yds. at the factory. That's about right for the 44, but I'm wondering about the 30-30. I sometimes take shots out to 150 yards or so with the 30-30; Is that going to be a problem using this scope at longer range? Thanks for your insights!

Patrick
I use a Weaver 4x on my Marlin 336. I can't say specifically whether your scope will present any issues, but I had no worries taking a shot at 150yds with my rig. Those Hornady squishy-tips made a great rifle even more effective in my opinion.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Old Savage wrote:Even if you are 21 and 20/20 it is better to scope the levergun because - YOU CAN SEE THE TARGET BETTER and handling don't mean sh$&%$&%$T.
And then the fight started.. :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

It probably won't make much difference at all but, to ease your mind, place a target at 150 yds., put the rifle on sandbags to sight it, then without touching the rifle, move your head left and right, up and down while looking through the scope. You can get an idea of how much parallex you have by doing this.
JDL
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Freiend don't you worry a doodly about the parrallex, you just keep shooting friend :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Thanks you for your responses guys! I'll set up the rifle and give it a go.

And, a very Merry Christmas to all!!! :D
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Enjoy --- i use a scoped levergun for hunting also. Last doe i shot it was approaching darkness and i likely would not have made the shot with irons
----- Doug
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I have a 1.5X5 on mine and usually leave it on 1.5 power. Thats really all you need out to 150 yards, IMO. My son has a fixed 2.5 on his 30/30 and he has killed a pile of deer.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.