What are you thinking about for 2011?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Firearms wise?

Okay, let's expand this. What would you like to get for Christmas this year, or plan on acquiring in 2011? What is on your wish list (versus your "pie in the sky" list)?

For me, lever-wise, I hope to find a deal on a mare's leg, one of the new Rossi "Ranch Hands", in .45 Colt. I am in the market for a .32-20 WCF lever-action, but haven't decided what kind; just know that I would like it to be a straight-stocked one with a full-length magazine.

I've also decided I would like to advance my "Civil War reproduction revolvers" collection by adding some "odd-balls", specifically a "Spiller & Burr", "Dance Bros.", "Leech & Rigdon", and a "Rogers & Spencer". I am still kicking myself of passing on a R&S in fair condition a couple years ago for little over a song!

Finally, since it will be 2011, I am going to have to pick up a 1911 for Y2K (but don't tell him). Won't get all of these next year, but they are all on the short list.

How about yours?
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Re: What are you thinking about for 2011?

Post by Newtmaker »

I have my eye on a Henry 001TM, the 22 magnum version. I already have a 001T in 22lr, a Rossi 92 in 357, and a Win 94 in 30-30. The Henry is a hoot to shoot with the tang sight but I want something with a little more uumph out at 100 yards. My Savage 93 in 22 mag is a real tackdriver but I just like the levers so much more when it comes to having fun. Anyone out there have experience with the Henrys in 22 mag?

Walt
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

:D Really want an 86 in 45-70............... :D
I have one iron in the fire :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

I would like to get either a Savage 99 or maybe a BLR in .308. I like all of my traditional levers (8) but I would like a lever that can shoot a real spitzer, not just a gummi tip.

I also want a new 1911 for the 100 year anniversary. I am leaning toward building one using a Caspian frame and slide, Kart barrel; a traditrional look, polished flats, deep blue, rear slide serrations only, wide spur hammer, arched mainspring housing with no extended anything.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I sold my trusty and once in a lifetime Longrifle to benefit our school for AIDS orphans in Zambia. They were not finding sponsors, and the rifle I figured would someday turn to dust, while those kids will last forever so.......

I am gathering up parts again for a Left Handed Early Lancaster style Longrifle. So far have the wood ordered up from Tiger Hunt Stocks(fancy Sugar Maple Early Lancaster with Sliding Wood Patchbox), and the .54 Barrel is on order from Ed Rayl. Gonna get a Chambers Flintlock to go on it. I am going to approach a master builder in my local area to see if he can help me out in gettting it all together. There's is nothing that feels or looks like that Dickert style PA/Ky rifle. Hopefully will get it done this coming year!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

I am shooting on of the Rossi Ranch Hands today, but for 2011, I definitely want one of the new 45 Colt New Frontier sixguns. Also a new 1911, the brand of which I cannot mention at this time. A new fighting shotgun. That new pocket-sized 9mm, the brand of which I cannot mention at this time. A S&W 1006. Who knows what else will come along.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I'm thinking of only getting some items in that are already in the works. NKJ is working on a Colt 1851 for me right now and after that, it will be shipped for some nice ivory installed. I have a Silenced SBR in 9mm coming in sometime in april once the feds release the two stamps. That will need a couple of items to go with it. I'm looking for a 26 inch barrel with chokes for my Benelli super 90 (i have an 18 inch barrel now). I would like to trade out my C. Sharps Arms 1875 Sharps for a Shiloh Military rifle. And I will have some ivory put on , and an action job done on my .22lr Colt. Other than that, I will thin the herd some.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I want to hunt more, improve my conditioning and maybe get a Colt New Frontier .45 Colt 4-3/4". Probably come up with a fix for the 1876 SRC front sight and get the nickeled 34-1 repaired. That's all so far as the shooting is concerned. We'll see.

I'd also like to make some needed renovations/repairs/improvements on the house and get my wife happy with whatever her decision is, to retire or not. I want to see more of the grandkids. I want my son to get in a better place economically. Again, we'll see.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rather than look to buy a new or new to me gun, I'm thinking strongly on how to get out of IL and back to the west so I can really use those I have.

However if a new gun is in my future, I'd like a .44 Special revolver. Either one of the new Flattop Ruger BHs or an Uberti SA. Unfortunately Colt and USFA are as usual priced out of my reach.
For a lever gun I've wanted a Winchester 1894 Rifle with the 26" octagon barrel, full length magazine chambered for the 30 W.C.F. of course.

I guess I don't have my sights set too high.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Actually trying not to do just that, and keeping it one day at a time. :)
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

An 88 Win. in .358!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

2011 I am mainly looking to finish my race/serious street car, but for firearms, I would like to pick up a Marlin 1893 in some oddball caliber that I haven't played with yet. I am also looking to get a S&W mountain gun (or 4 inch 29) in 44 mag. Thats about it, finishing current projects is higher on the list right now than getting more stuff..However I did just get a hollowpointing jig from a guy over at castboolits to hollow point some cast boolits and that may require extensive testing and range time come spring...DARN IT! Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well, this kind of meets the criteria, I'm getting a new Uberti '73 24" bbl. in 38-40 for Christmas. I plan on getting it out and shooting the snot out of it.
Old Law Dawg
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I want to shoot more.

Other than that I plan on getting a 1911. I figure a 100 years of testing is good enough for me. But it has to be US made so I think the new Remington is what I settled on. But I'm saving up for an elk hunt also.

I'm working with a friend on making a single shot action from scratch. At this point it looks like a Stevens 44 1/2 action.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I was gifted a Dillion 550 and want to start doing more .45acp and 1911 shooting.
Also, more fishing. A lot more fishing :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Single actions! :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Blaine - 550 perfect for that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

If I ever get some "spare" money, I'm hoping to get a 32/20 Uberti 73.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think I'll be culling out some un needed rifles and stocking up on more scatterguns.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

A job! our office is closing down.........

then I want an 86
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

A cabela's special Ruger #1 in 30-40 Krag
A Browning citori in 16
An older Remington pump 121
and that is all that is on my wish list right now.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I guess I don't have my sights set too high.

Joe
That's good because then you'd be shooting too low.

I'm hoping for no changes. I noticed the thread was originally "firearmswise" but we are also adding life changes and intentions. I have no plans to get another firearm, except for the possibility of an additional barrel for my HR youth rifle. Can't decide if it should be 30-30 or 30-06. I already have two 30-30's, and the purpose of the second barrel would be to use it for general shooting, and save my .243 barrel for hunting. So I don't really need it, but...

What I may do is divest a little. I'm thinking of looking for another job and may at the same time relocate. I don't want to but things happen. Anyway I should sell down the inventory of guns, musical instruments, and such, before trying to move. One reason to get the 30-30 barrel is streamlining the collection, I could have one gun with two barrels and get rid of the others. Or maybe it would be a traveling set.

I got in shape last year and want to stay that way. I'll be shooting less silhouette next year to get out in the field more. I want to start learning to hunt coyote this year and might emphasize that instead of worrying so much about hunting deer. I'll still try it but I don't want to make it the be-all and end-all. The last few years have been disappointing; forest closures, other hunters, my own schedule, are making it very hard to do for me.

One thing I'm working on is a new rig that will carry some of the weight I hike with, but it's not as cumbersome as a wagon. It could be attached to a bike, and in a pinch I could take a deer out with it. One problem with deer hunting for me is all the preparations, which is usually for naught. So a quick and easy rig would help a lot.
rig 002.jpg
rig 008.jpg
The heart of this thing is the swiveling tail wheel with built-in shock absorber. It glides nicely in the house, now I have to try it in the field. It should negotiate tight spaces and be easy to take up those steep zig-zag trails. And it can't tip over!

The basic idea is to lash or hang things from it - water bottles, extra clothes, my firearm, camera equipment, etc., to take some weight off my back. Next to it you can see an aluminum rod, which is a cross-piece I can slide in. If I do get a deer I can improvise something like a wheelbarrow and use the rod to stabilize it and move it along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

First I am going to take all the firearms I brought back from the USA up to the Birmingham Proof House to get them proved so I can legally pass them on to my son when the time comes. Next I am going to sell my Sniders, original 1886 and 1849 pocket Colt, plus all the dies, moulds and original reloading tools that go with them. I will use the money raised to buy the highest condition original Winchester 1873 I can afford - OBFMCB, 44-40 of course.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I have my thoughts on one of the new Marlin Lever Guns. Maybe the 338 MXLR if the Rifle balances weight forward. I have a real nice 1951 Winchester 94 in 30-30 I am thinking about parting with to get this Rifle.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

BlaineG wrote:Also, more fishing. A lot more fishing :wink:
+ 100 !!! :D :D :D :D

AMEN !!!

Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
SFRanger7GP

Post by SFRanger7GP »

For 2011, I am going to cull the herd quite a bit. Rifles and handguns that I will never hunt with and really don't plink with that much are going to go. I have 2 full safes, no children and all my nephews are being raised by liberal idiots. I am going to continue to upgrade and improve my favorites (engraving, custom grips, nice piece of wood for my favorite 35 whelen, etc) and move stuff that I just don't use. Watch for some good lever guns for sale in the future.

I have been able to hunt more this year than I have in the past 2-3 years. I got my resident visa for Argentina today so I look forward to hunting even more in 2011. I am going after Water Buffalo in January. Haven't decided whether to use a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 or a Winchester 1895 in .405. I like the 405 but have no faith in the Hornady bullet that is loaded in the factory ammo.

If anyone is interested in hunting or fishing Argentina, contact me and I will point you in the right direction.
TravisM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TravisM »

I hoping to get to the range a lot more.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I'm thinking that a H&R handi rifle in .500S&W might be a fun shooter with black powder and cast bullets.

Jack
redlevel42
Levergunner 2.0

Post by redlevel42 »

I've had an itch off and on for the last year or two for a .357 Trapper. I think I'm going to scratch that itch, maybe before 2011. Le'ssee, I have a birthday coming up Friday . . . . . . . :D
Georgia On My Mind
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

One of those high capacity 22lr revolvers. Another .480 Ruger pistol. More Glocks, always need more of those. Rebarrel 300 winmag with heavy 27" 1/10 twist with comp. Cut Guide Gun down to 16" or flush with mag tube if it's too long. Get a 308 rifle of some kind, prob plain Jane Savage. Theres more thats just what I got right now.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

I'd like to get a .22 slide kit for my 1911, a .22 lever gun(Marlin more than likely) and a .22 pump gun. Other than those, we'll see what pops up!
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

For 2011.....finish my National Match AR and start working on a Lyman Great Plains Hunter using one of those kits from Midway. Looks like lots-o-fun to build.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

My main hunting and fishing buddy is getting older and kind of frail so I intend to spend as much time in the field with him as I can, not too many seasons left there. I'm definately planning to do more shooting and loading, and much more time in the deer woods and fishing than I've spent in years.

As far as guns go I'm not planning on getting rid of anything. A new Miroku '95 SRC in .30-40 Krag is on the list as well as a High Wall in .45-70. Gotta get my Beretta/Uberti '73 fixed first. I'll also be starting the quest for guns for the new grandson, a 10/22 and a 20ga 870 will head the list followed by a Glock 17 and build him an AR.

Mainly I plan to spend a lot more time with family and friends. I buried four wonderful friends in three weeks and hadn't seen 3 of them in several months. Got that new grandson to spoil too.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jeff Quinn wrote:I am shooting on of the Rossi Ranch Hands today,
I can't wait for that report on GunBlast! :D :D :D
Henry McCann
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Henry McCann »

Use what I have...but if a 336 Cowboy in .38-55, .45-70, or a 24" barreled .45 Colt, at the right price came my way, I would add any of these three, to what I have.
"Be kind and polite to everyone you meet; but have a plan on how to kill them." General Mattis
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I am and have been thinking about clearing out all of the excess baggage. I have Marlins in four calibers, these will surely cover anything I ever would want to do here in the States.the one just for fun picnic gun for me would be the Uberti Burgess in 44-40. I have about 2500 bullets and more than 500lb of lead to cast with. I want to stock up on primers next year. more than anything I need to get motivated.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have more guns then I can shoot now. I am not saying I won't buy something this comming year, but what I would really like to do is pick some of the guns I already have and really ring them out, and do some hunting with them. I have too many unfired or very seldom fired guns in my safe.

It seems that I have a few old reliables that I hunt with and shoot, and the rest just linger in the safe, because I havn't taken the time to work up loads or even sight them in. If I buy anything else, I am afraid it would join that group that doesn't hardly ever get used, and eventually one gets to a point of diminishing returns.
NRA Life Member, Patron
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Something I've been wanting for a long time, a heavy barrel bolt action 308 with some really good glass on it. I've got some heavy varmint rigs, 223, 22-250, but I've never had a really accurate 308. Would just like to have some fun punching paper at 500 or 600 yards.
NRA Life Member
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Grandboys have thinned down my stuff and made room in the gun safe for... Dang, I think I'd like a Rossi m92, 24" octagon, in .256 Win. (kinda' a 25/20 on steroids).
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Ted, it ain't a levergun but check out the savage line. Get a better grade of savage and they are very accurate. I have a savage in 308 that will make itty bitty kittle groups out to 300 yards...and I din't even place at the PA savage shooters gettogher last year.Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

These lists always scare me. I spend a lot of time thinking "You know, just these two or three things are about all I want/need anymore.". Then I start thinking about it for these lists and suddenly I've got a list as long as my arm! :lol:

Strictly firearms-wise:
I need to get my .257 Roberts and 7x57 projects taken care of first and foremost as funds allow.

A 4" N Frame .357 or .38/44 would be nice.

Another Stevens 200, maybe in 7-08 since I never got to play with the one I had before I had to let it go.

A 24"-26" .45-70 barrel for the Handi to replace the Buffalo Classic that went away. Or heck, maybe just another whole BC.

RRBs have caught my interest again. Need to do a BUNCH more research though...

A 4 and whateverthefractionis" .357 Ruger BH. Maybe a .44 Special as well since I've never played with that caliber.

I'd like another Marlin 39 to fool with. I sold the one I had a few years ago because it just didn't feel as good as the BL22 I have. I'm willing to give it another chance.

A BLR in some medium bore caliber. .257 Roberts, 7x57, 7-08 or the like.

I'd like a 4"-5" Rem 1875, maybe the Uberti Outlaw. I bought one brand new 2-3 years ago and it had a problem right out of the box. Exchanged it for something else. Again, I'm willing to give it another chance.

Sheesh.... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Two 1885s, a Winchester in .32-40 and a Uberti in .45Colt. For the rifle caliber I may have to settle on a Uberti in .38-55...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
wilko
Levergunner 2.0

Post by wilko »

already bought a Remington 1911 so i am all set..

Be the best i can be at work and paint the downstairs for my wife ;)
"there's a man going around, taking names.."
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Firearms? Haven't thought about it too much. Since a couple of guys already mentioned a New Frontier in .45 Colt, that is going on my must have list too -- 7.5" barrel for me with a matching SAA in 4.75" since this is a theoretical list for now.

Probably a bit closer to reality is a new .22 barrel for my Encore, as i seem to have something of a T/C fixation now. I'd also put even money on me adding some sort of AR to the arsenal

I am flush with leverguns for now, but you know how that stuff goes, -- something will always come along -- like the looks of the Ranch Hand but i would rather one of my buddies buy one first so i can shoot one a couple of times before plunking down the cash
----- Doug
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I'm thinking about a nice european Kipplauf (break open) single shot. Most, are to expensive, and the BRNO effect is not available in Australia.
I am thinking about a Sabbatti in 7x57 mauser.
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

I think this is the year I will be "thinning the herd" so to speak. Outside of the family heirlooms, I'm thinking on starting to give the kids some of my firearm accumulation.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I would like to find a Stainless ROA - preferably one of the 5" ones (or one of the 7" ones with a 5" bbl so I can have a rear sight)

I'd also like to get my Double Rifle project done.

But that's about it.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

As for firearms, I am going to have my grandfather’s Winchester M1885 .22 LR take down musket relined. And replace the Beech front sight with another -- real or clone.

Also very seriously considering a Winchester-Miroku M1885 "Hunter" in .32-40 WCF. Have a line on one and it would be a very comfortable 100 and 200 yds. bench rifle. Already have dies and moulds for the calibre and supposedly the bore will accommodate jacketed .32 Special bullets if I desire. And the Browning .30 WCF "Traditional Hunter" will not feel so lonely in the vault.

Starting to think more about the smaller bores as I know there will be a time when loading, shooting, and casting for the larger .45 calibre single shot rifles will get old as I get older.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
lthardman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lthardman »

I am looking to get one of the Henry repros by Uberti. Probably .44-40, maybe .45LC. Then, I would like to find a good deal on an 1873 reproduction for shooting, probably the Cimarron, again same calibers. Finally, I am always on the lookout for a 1940's vintage 1911. Unfortunately, nothing on this list comes easy.
"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." - Bryan Adams
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, I sure do think I have to have the Uberti copy of thr Colt Burgess in .44-40. I also have a hankering for something in .38 super, maybe a 1911, but finding one in double action intrigues me also as I have a 1911 in .45, Taurus makes one as well as EEA. Have a blessed Christmas.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!