OT- Cooper Rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

OT- Cooper Rifles

Post by 375hh1973 »

Anyone here have any experience with Cooper Rifles? Was going to have a rifle built in .280 rem Ackley Improved but then stumbled on Cooper Rifles. After having handled them, they seem fantastic. They have a model called the Jackson Hunter which is stainless/synthetic that just feels superb, that they chamber in .280 AI. I keep designing my next rifle in my mind and it keeps coming up just what the Jackson Hunter is. I have heard very positive things about them, accuracy wise, and they are made in Montana.

Thanks for any input,
Brian
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Cooper Rifles

Post by sore shoulder »

Heres my input.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politics/e ... sted_n.htm

Rifle maker bounces boss who supports Obama

By Ken Dilanian, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — Montana gunsmith Dan Cooper has been ousted as chief executive of the rifle company that bears his name after pressure from gun owners who are angry that he is supporting Democrat Barack Obama.

Cooper, founder and part owner of Cooper Firearms, told USA TODAY in a story published Tuesday that he has voted for Republicans for most of his life, but he is backing Obama "probably because of the war. And also because the Republican Party has moved so far right in recent years." Cooper said he was attracted to the Democrat's message about "the retooling of America, which involves the building of middle-class jobs and helping American small business be competitive with those overseas."

Cooper contributed $3,300 to Obama's presidential campaign, according to election records complied by the non-partisan CQ MoneyLine.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Politics of one of the owners aside, my cousin owns two (at least, IIRC he was having another built but can't remember the caliber) that I've shot. One is 22-250 and one is 25-06, both set up for varmint shooting with heavy barrels. They are very well made and very very accurate.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

A friend of mine has probably 10 Coopers. He swears by them, but he looks at them far more than ever shooting them. They're too pretty to scratch up in the woods!
500 S&W Fan
Levergunner

Post by 500 S&W Fan »

My neighbor has a couple of coopers , one in 22LR and one in 223. . I've shot both......... all I can say is, I'd love to have them,, Fantastic triggers and fantastic accuracy. Both are sporters and he uses his guns
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

If I were looking for a super accurate, extremely well made bolt gun, Cooper would be one of my first choices.
Old Law Dawg
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

They sell them at my local Scheels. All are in a display case each rifle has its own Target attached to the gun. That is impressive on its own. Most look to be Varmint calibers with Stainless barrels and Blued Receivers. I would absolutely love one, but the price tags are a bit too steep for me (3K) I could Custom make something on a Remington 700 or Winchester 70 Action for much less money, and be just as happy.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Cooper has been owned by Wilson Arms for a couple of years now I believe. Also, their premier stock-maker is no longer with them ... Leroy Barry. I'm sure they still make a pretty fine rifle. I wanted a Western Classic 57 in .22 Magnum for a long time. I just couldn't justify the $4k and the 16 month wait.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

I have 2, a .22lr and a 20 VarTarg (221 Fireball necked to 20cal). They are supurbly accurate, just below benchrest standards. The 22lr shoots 3/8" at 50 meters and the 20 does the same at 100 meters, they do that consistantly, not just every once in a while. Like some one mentioned, they come with targets. On the target is the load information, powder, bullet. etc. I'm not impressed with the standard stock finish. One of my winter projects is to refinsh both of them.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy