Wife's deer 2010 updated

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Wife's deer 2010 updated

Post by Buffboy »

She's tickled.

Model 99 300 Savage made in 1924

First day of the East River Rifle season. We were walking a gully, I was on call, had just received a cell phone call about moving 600 cattle across Big Bend Dam and I had to go. I'd just blown a possible shot at two bucks that she saw (but I didn't) by shooting at a coyote on the other side of the hill(I missed Yo-tay :roll: ), so we met up and we were going to go back to the Blaser. She was a little annoyed with me. We saw two does that had come up behind us and stopped to see if they'd come out. They layed down and I told her we should just go as I didn't want to deal with a doe till I'd finished business. When we got moving they took off. We started walking back to the vehicle, had walked about 300 yards and out of the corner of my eye, I see in the gully, this buck snorting after a couple does(don't know if they were the ones from earlier, didn't look that close at them :wink: ). The wind was blowing pretty hard, we were downwind and the buck was thinking with some other organ, not his brain and was oblivious to our presence. She got closer and got her shooting sticks set up. I hurried her shot as I was afraid the does, decidedly NOT oblivious to us, were going to take off, so while it wasn't the best shot angle(about 170 yards in a gale), it still all worked out. My brother, nephew, and the rancher helped her field dress it. It was home when I got back from the call. It's skinned, and quartered up, chilling in a tote outside in the 14 degree weather. She still has an antlerless whitetail tag to fill yet. I still have both my tags.

Edit: 12/5/2010 Hunted pretty hard the last two days of the season. The warrior princess got a nice big fat doe about dark tonight(hence bringing back her topic) so she's a happy camper. It was a bit hectic as my nephew got a smaller buck about sundown as well. Sorry didn't get any pictures of either. Me? I never had a shot the last two days at an anterless whitetail deer(remaining tag), could have shot a couple/three bucks and mule deer does but such is life. My brother didn't fill his anydeer tag (filled his antlerless). The season opens again in January for a week as an antlerless season so my brother and I still have a chance to fill.
Last edited by Buffboy on Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
win38-55
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Wife's deer 2010

Post by win38-55 »

That is a very nice deer. Tell her congrats, She looks very happy.
Nice gun by the way. :D
Andrew: He is a real gun freak with way too many guns to shoot or clean.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

What a fine kill. Outstanding!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

That is a very nice thick antlered 4 point. I wish My 99 looked like that, maybe some day.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Well done!
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulations! :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Wow, congratulations to her. Great picture - hope you don't mind I downloaded the second one - Great Shot and I have a rifle like that made 30 years later. That was an old friend's pride and joy. He killed a deer with his at 267 yds and had as a result the only antlers he ever saved. That is a big one she has, any idea what one like that weighs by you there?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Very nice buck!! Just shows those old rounds are still very effective. What bullet was she using and how was performance?
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Old Savage wrote:Wow, congratulations to her. Great picture - hope you don't mind I downloaded the second one - Great Shot and I have a rifle like that made 30 years later. That was an old friend's pride and joy. He killed a deer with his at 267 yds and had as a result the only antlers he ever saved. That is a big one she has, any idea what one like that weighs by you there?
OS, Weighed maybe 180 on the hoof, big but not huge by whitetail buck standards around here. Bullet was a Hornady 150gr spire point interlock, don't have the load book out but I think its running 2400-2500fps for velocity. A little punchy, just got back in, was called out again right after I posted. Think the sleep total is about 5 hours total in the last 60 hours, maybe 10 in the last 72. Stopped at my brother's as he was getting ready to go out, told him I didn't think I was gonna do much hunting today but good luck. I'll mention your congratulations later or more likely have her read the post. Thanks, I'm for bed.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats to the Mrs. That's a great lookin' buck!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that is a beautiful buck, congrats to her. Very nice rifle too.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Great pictures!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

She done good. Nice to see that Savage still bringing home the meat. Oh, nice whitetail.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

:D
NRA Life Member
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A pretty wife getting a nice buck with a classic rifle . . . it doesn't get much better than that...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Grace is DEATH with that rifle! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

Good buck! Almost gets me interested in WT hunting. Congratulations to the lady.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good friend who is Yaqui/Blackfoot/Irish uses the same rifle and load - he has shot 8 pigs and a couple of antelope with it. And another friend loaded me quite a few of that same level load for mine.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

wow...congrats
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Congratulations to the Missus. Those northern whitetails are beautiful and really fun to hunt. That is an especially nice deer. Good job ! :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Buffboy, she seems to do this real regularly. Congrats.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That is a good deer and an uptown rifle as well! You are going to have a hard time topping her this year looks like :P
Last edited by Dave on Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roofuss
Levergunner

Post by Roofuss »

Nice job, congrats to her !
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Griff wrote:Congrats to the Mrs. That's a great lookin' buck!
+1
It is not the critic who counts
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Paladin wrote:
Griff wrote:Congrats to the Mrs. That's a great lookin' buck!
+1
+2
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

very nice congrat's and your wife has great tast in rifles my 99 is a 1925 mod.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Outstanding! Nice work, good photo's :D

Please forward a kiss from me :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Aw Heck,that aint nothin.get Your 38-55 out and shoot another one like You did last Year.Shes just trying to get some compition going.I'm gettin old but I rember that one in the cornfield I think? :) .
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Took a little lookin around,I can't work this thing very well.Thanks,You and Your Wife sure make My day. :D . http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... 0c#p281405
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Wife's deer 2010 updated

Post by Buffboy »

Btt for update.

- L. Neil Smith
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wife's deer 2010 updated

Post by FWiedner »

Very nice!

Good hunt.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.