OT: My packing pistol (photo)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

OT: My packing pistol (photo)

Post by KirkD »

Reading the thread on Taffin's packing pistol reminded me of mine, and I didn't want to hijack the thread, so I'll tell you a bit about mine and post a photo, and anyone else who wants to post something about their packing pistol is welcome to post it on this thread as well.

Mine is an original First generation Colt SAA, 5 & 1/2" artillery version. The artillery versions were made from 7 & 1/2" Colts that were returned to Colt to have their barrels reduced to 5 & 1/2". There was not much effort, when reassembling the guns, to keep matching serial numbers together. Consequently, most artillery Colts do not have all matching numbers. My frame dates to 1882 and the rest of the parts all date to 1874. David Lanara has examined this particular gun and authenticated it as a US artillery Colt. In Canada, the average fellow can only pack antique sixguns, no repros and nothing newer than 1897. Thus, this old sixgun is still seeing service in the Canadian wilderness. The gun has been completely restored and the original 'US' and inspection marks have been carefully preserved. I've set aside the original cylinder for safe keeping and have a modern cylinder in place chambered for 45 Schofield, which was a cartridge often used in the original Colt SAA's during the mid-1870's (45 Colts are not legal antiques in Canada, even if they date before 1898). I have installed a new cylinder pin sized such that I have zero end shake and absolutely no wobble, and a cylinder-throat gap of just .002 since I'm using only smokeless powder. It is rock solid. I've put in a new bolt and did some fine tuning on the bolt with a diamond file so that the bolt drops into the bevel just before the notch and it locks up exactly on time like a vault with no drag. Mechanically, I don't see how a mint factory version could be tighter or more perfectly timed. I put a 250 grain cast bullet out the barrel at just over 850 fps to duplicate original Colt velocities. I've ordered a sweet holster from Mernickle Holsters, but it will be a couple months before I have it. To practice, I have a solid walnut stump over a foot thick outside my office door. At lunch time, I'll step out and fire five rounds into a small piece of paper tacked to the stump (I live in a rural area). I am slowly increasing the distance and I see significant improvement each week. I find that a few rounds each day, rather than a lot of rounds once per week, gives much faster improvement. I've read Elmer Keith's book and he's got me inspired to try some longer distance shooting once I get the 25 yard groups tight enough. Right now I'm practicing one-handed shooting.

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: OT: My packing pistol (photo)

Post by Terry Murbach »

OH MY, THIS IS TOO COOL !!! I LOVE IT !!!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Kirk,

Glad to see that old Colt finally finished and shooting. We sure had enough conferences about it, didn't we. It looks wonderful.

I've been trying some Schofield level loads from my Uberti .45 and they are powder puff loads compared to standard .45 Colt loads. No where near your 250 @ 850 loads. I got a couple boxes of loaded Schofields left to shoot then I'll probably stop messing with them.

Here is a pic of my current "packing gun", or well it would be IF I could pack anything in IL.
Waiting for my photobucket to load ... waiting ... waiting ... ah here it is.

The load I use most for carrying is a 265gr Keith over 9.0grs Unique. I've decided that if that load won't do what needs done, I shoulda brought a rifle. It's accurate, controllable, and moderately easy on the pistol. I might even drop back to 8.5grs Unique, but I'll have to do some testing to see.

You are correct about the practicing. A cylinder full or two every day will beat a box every week or month or semi annual trip to the range. I wish I lived in a rural area cos I'd be doing the same thing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Interesting and Timely thread, indeed.
As you all know, I am a 44 shooter and not very much a 45 owner or user. Well that has changed as of yesterday. I now own a 45 SAA.
This piece is just georgeous. It is a Uberti/Cimarron Rough-Rider Artillary model 5 1/2". A clone of Kirks original SAA.
The original owner bought the piece in 2007 and used it in a Western type display theme. It is un-fired W/ the original box and all papers. And also two boxes of Black Hills factory loads.
I was given the piece to sell for this individual, who is also a Friend. I decided to keep the piece for myself. And now the best part, because we are close friends I got it for $250.00.

He is a collector of very fine Fire Arms, and not a Shooter. His Personal collection is set in a Museum type setting. The Uberti/Cimarron was only a temporary for his display theme, till he could find the right piece.
What replaced the Uberti/45 is a fully engraved W/ silver inlay Original Colt Bisley 1907 5 1/2" 38 Special. (not many 38 specials were made or special ordered)
Now I need to get a set of reloading dies.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Talk about Lemonade!!! Well done..What a beaut!!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I hope I don't get kicked off because my perfect Packin' Pistol is a S&W M10 heavy barrel. I know I know the caliber don't start with a .4. The M10 with the right loads does all I will ever need a revolver to do. If not that is why I own a rifle. That is a great peice of history that you have there Kirk, and I can't beleive that you can't have a .45 Colt anything that is crazy :o
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

KirkD,

Awesome info and photo as usual. That baby has a life time of history and I bet its great fun to make it come alive each day.

Here is the work done to mine and some pictures follow. Purchased here from fellow levergunner Kooz: (his writing)

Andy Horvath did the following:
-Deluxe high polish blueing
-Set bbl/cyl gap
-set cyl end play to minimum
-cut forcing cone
-installed Power custom gripframe
-made 1-pc maccasser ebony grip
-installed belt mtn base pin
-installed steel ejector housing

Alan Harton did the following:
-action/trigger job
-opened cyl throats
-reshaped and thinned grip

Currently carrying it in a simply rugged holster
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Kirk, That is great! Have you ever been stopped by law enforcement while carrying that out in the wilds? I wonder if they would get a kick out of a great old gun or frown on it.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

dr walker wrote:Kirk, That is great! Have you ever been stopped by law enforcement while carrying that out in the wilds? I wonder if they would get a kick out of a great old gun or frown on it.
No I haven't, but out in the wilderness where we go, you won't likely ever meet anyone. Nevertheless, I do bring with me a copy of a letter from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police certifying that it is a legal antique, just to make sure all the bases are covered.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

KirkD wrote:I have installed a new cylinder pin sized such that I have zero end shake and absolutely no wobble, and a cylinder-throat gap of just .002 since I'm using only smokeless powder.
I don't know much about black powder - what would the desirable cylinder-throat gap be if you were using BP loads...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Kirk, if I ever get a chance to make it to Ontario again, I'd gladly pay you for a lesson or two on photography. I am always amazed by the quality of the pictures you take. Do you have any formal training. "Desktop Artiste" simply doesn't do your pictures justice!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

AJMD429 wrote:
KirkD wrote:I have installed a new cylinder pin sized such that I have zero end shake and absolutely no wobble, and a cylinder-throat gap of just .002 since I'm using only smokeless powder.
I don't know much about black powder - what would the desirable cylinder-throat gap be if you were using BP loads...?
I don't know, but I think that .002 might gum up too quickly in a prolonged shoot-out using black powder. I have the original specs in a book downstairs ..... I think the black powder gap was closer to .005, but I could be off.

Ysabel Kid: Thank you for the compliment. I don't have any training. I just shoot what I think looks alright and hope that it turns out half decent. The real photographers know what they are doing, but I don't seem to have the knack for that. You should see some of the gorgeous beauties I'm photographing for the 2011 calendar. I won't be posting them anywhere so that the calender will be a nice surprise.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sweet upgrade Kirk! That's a very capable shooter and will serve you well. Congrats!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Nice Kirk! I usally take my artillery Model 45 or a Ruger 45. They both shoot great for me.

The 45 is upper left.
"That'll Be The Day"
Mitch1352
Levergunner

Post by Mitch1352 »

Wow! This thread has the potential to become dangerous quite quickly!!! I have some Taffin-inspired PPP's...if I post them with one of my Browning 92's, a Marlin 94 or my Winny Trapper, will Hobie let it stay :D ? Does that count enough for Leverguns.com???
Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Mitch1352 wrote:I have some Taffin-inspired PPP's...if I post them with one of my Browning 92's, a Marlin 94 or my Winny Trapper, will Hobie let it stay ?
Well, get'er done.
Old Law Dawg
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

KirkD, great photo, and I thoroughly enjoyed the write-up. Thanks!

Especially interesting was using the antique route to get around restrictive gun laws. I am glad you found this solution! As for the 5.5" barrel, I do like this length for a PPP. If I ever special-order a factory SA PPP, or commission a custom SA PPP, 5.5" is likely to be the barrel length.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

That sure did turn into a fine looking sixgun. That and your 30-30 should be all you need up on yourwilderness trips or any place really.Will the holster ride as a crossdraw?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Yes, Jerry. I've ordered a cross draw holster from Mernickle. It is this one here http://www.mernickleholsters.com/ca/ca12.html
I just find that the crossdraw position seems to be a lot handier for me. It does not seem to interfere with sitting down or other activities, and it whips out just fine.
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Kirk,
Love the Colt. The table it is sitting on looks like one that I made and currently use as a computer table. Is that an old treadle sewing machine base? Mine is, and I made the top from some red oak flooring taken out of a relatives house. I picture framed it with more oak brick mold left over from a job. I love to make new stuff out of old. You did the same with that old Colt. Looks good.

Kevin
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

KirkD wrote: I just find that the crossdraw position seems to be a lot handier for me. It does not seem to interfere with sitting down or other activities, and it whips out just fine.
+1! I'm a 30 year believer in a crossdraw :mrgreen:

Neat pistol!

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Mac in Mo wrote:The table it is sitting on looks like one that I made and currently use as a computer table. Is that an old treadle sewing machine base?
Yes it is. I found it laying beside an old log cabin in one of our back pastures, partly buried by decades of leaves turned to soil. I want to make a nicer table top for it out of quarter sawn oak.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Gorgeous Artillery you have there! I'm sure it's been covered before, but without getting into some protracted socio-political discussion--at least not my intent, just "technically curious"--pray tell why no .45LC when it otherwise meets the "antique" definition? Is it because they can and/or more likely than Schofields be loaded "hotter" and can, in smokeless form, do damage to the "BP-era construction"? If so, virtually anything can. What do the laws say about same era antique .44-40s, .38-40s and .32-20s, etc?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

gak wrote:--pray tell why no .45LC when it otherwise meets the "antique" definition? Is it because they can and/or more likely than Schofields be loaded "hotter" and can, in smokeless form, do damage to the "BP-era construction"?
I think they actually had two criteria here in Canada when defining an antique. One is, made before 1898 and the other is that factory ammo is not readily available. No problem rolling our own, however.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, I reckon that you will be using the cartridge belt you had made for the S&W. I carry my old Colt crossdraw it has always worked for me.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

JerryB wrote:Kirk, I reckon that you will be using the cartridge belt you had made for the S&W. I carry my old Colt crossdraw it has always worked for me.
Yes I will. It is a good belt. It carries 10 pistol rounds, 20 rifle rounds, a knife and a holster.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Great post Kirk, that colt looks like a cracker (English slang for good, "belter" can be used for the same expression). I can just see you, kicking the porch door open and shooting 5 or six rounds off :lol:

Glorious, keep up the good work KD :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

My PPP is a Ruger Bisley Vaquero. Alex Hamilton of Ten Ring PRecision put a free spin pawl on it, a blackhawk barrel, and set the cylinder gap to minimum. I use a simply rugged holster usually strong side if not carrying a rifle or cross draw with a rifle.

rimrock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.