OT ugly gun we all own one?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

OT ugly gun we all own one?

Post by brno602 »

This is my ugly, a SKS made the scope mount from a old bed frame welded yes welded a 788 Rem Leopold scope base to the top of it then ground it to contour the angle to the base and a final coat of Canadian Tire rubber paintable under coating was added. Dam gun will shoot a 1.5'' group with anything I feed it at 100yds. Ah yes the paint on the stock Chevy orange engine paint with black strips and a clear coat. The scope is a $40.00, bought at a gun show 3x9 Niko Stirling.With a Nickel glued on to it as I lost the emblem that came on the scope. I paid $99.99 for it when I bought it about 17 years ago.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT ugly gun we all own one?

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Is that a trapper coming outta the water on your bedspread ??? Have never owned an ugly firearm....other than my AR...

jumbeaux
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

love it. especially the striped tiger holding the tiger striped gun. that's hot :!:
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Don't own any uglies. I have purchased a few, though.

Some of my favorite firearms were bought ugly and dirt cheap. They all fixed up pretty again.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Not me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

I would have sold it but it shoots very good for what it is, and is really cheap to shoot I have never reloaded for it can never find all my brass so I had bought something like 3000 rds of ammo in big sardine cans 3 cans almost finished the second can.I see 7.62/39 has doubled in price now?.I can still get 20rds of Russian or Chinese ammo for 4-5 bucks a box when it's in stock.
I admit it is ugly but shoots good I only sell the guns that don't shoot good, this and my big sweed are my only centerfire auto loaders.It has a amazing trigger for a army rifle a easy take up then breaks at 4.5lbs.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I like that idea for a scope mount. :D Thats real Redneck ingenuity at its finest! :D The only foreign guns I own are a pair of SKS's and I did try one of those scope mounts that replace the spring cover. (or whatever its called) Groups were worse than with open sights.

I really don't think SKS's are ugly--even yours :D Now, a bolt action Mossberg shotgun with a big ugly choke---thats ugly, almost as ugly as my Avatar :lol: ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

No uglies here either. Some I once thought as ugly have grown on me. There are a few of those. :lol: :lol: :lol:
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Sixgun wrote:I like that idea for a scope mount. :D Thats real Redneck ingenuity at its finest! :D The only foreign guns I own are a pair of SKS's and I did try one of those scope mounts that replace the spring cover. (or whatever its called) Groups were worse than with open sights.

I really don't think SKS's are ugly--even yours :D Now, a bolt action Mossberg shotgun with a big ugly choke---thats ugly, almost as ugly as my Avatar :lol: ------------Sixgun
I remember that Select choke Mossberg even put it on the 500.
I was going to drill and tap it had it all clamped down then looked over and saw the welder and thought a what the H*** at least I did not weld it to the gun :D
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:No uglies here either. Some I once thought as ugly have grown on me. There are a few of those. :lol: :lol: :lol:
When I was younger I thought that 95 Winchesters where ugly, I still think it is the Ugliest lever ever made but not the ugliest gun. Now I kinda want one of them ugly Winchesters.
P.S I know I know thems fighting words lol
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Hobie wrote:Not me.
You gota have one? :D
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

None here.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

jumbeaux wrote:Is that a trapper coming outta the water on your bedspread ??? Have never owned an ugly firearm....other than my AR...

jumbeaux
I love the Tiger Beadspead too all those who made a comment on it, but the wife thinks it is tacky and it is in the spare bedroom now next to the gun room. Gee she like the one with the Elk on it :? Guess I will use that one as a back drop for my Elk Rifles.
P.S ARs are kinda ugly but at least light.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

brno602 wrote:
Sixgun wrote:I like that idea for a scope mount. :D Thats real Redneck ingenuity at its finest! :D The only foreign guns I own are a pair of SKS's and I did try one of those scope mounts that replace the spring cover. (or whatever its called) Groups were worse than with open sights.

I remember that Select choke Mossberg even put it on the 500.
I was going to drill and tap it had it all clamped down then looked over and saw the welder and thought a what the H*** at least I did not weld it to the gun :D
Well in that case I guess I'm part of the club. I have my late fathers old 20ga bolt action Mossberg with the Cutts compensator and Poly choke. I know it probably violates some sorta' Man Law but I don't have a picture of it. I did however find this picture on line http://www.box54.com/model185k.jpg
This was my fathers deer gun and the stock shows the wear from a lot of hunting seasons. I swear that the compensator is some sort of joke however. I took the gun to the range with some federal slugs and that thing just slapped me around, it was not fun in the least.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i like what you did to your sks. looks pretty cool. if it was mine, i'd lose the bayonent, and add a 30 round mag.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Here's my ugly gun.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Malamute wrote:Here's my ugly gun.

I hope you just left it up there!!! Joking I will have to get a digital pic of a valley up here that looks just like that one of course I will put a Savage 99 in it lol!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

No, I went ahead and brought it home. Wouldnt want to clutter up the countryside. :)

That gun was a wreck when I got it. It looks better now, but still is a bit rough around the edges. Makes a good rainy weather and truck gun.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Malamute wrote:No, I went ahead and brought it home. Wouldnt want to clutter up the countryside. :)

That gun was a wreck when I got it. It looks better now, but still is a bit rough around the edges. Makes a good rainy weather and truck gun.
Ah a working gun but it ain't all ugly I see a bolt through the stock. I had a 32 win Spec with a leather wrap because of a minor split wish I never sold it.
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

No UGLY guns here but that SKS is uglier than a mud fence.Keep on shooting it You could
put a trebble hook on the the end of it and make a musky lure.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The stock that was on it was so rough and bad I threw in away. The stock that's on it was one someone else was going to throw away. It was split clear apart down the middle, and epoxied and screwed back together. It has a screw in each side, and some nice Channel Lock marks where they clamped it together to glue and screw it. The butt plate is from a Daisy BB gun I think. Someone gave it to me also. The rest of the gun looked like it hadnt been cleaned in any way for 40 years, and that may indeed be the case. I replaced the dented and shortened mag tube, and sort of cleaned it up some. It's wearing a spare barrel I found, it was also free, as it had a hole drilled into the bore for a front sight ramp. I just cut it to 16 1/2" and called it good. Has a good bore for a pre-war barrel. :)

L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'll toss in a vote for my Glenfield M25 .22LR. They'd never win a beauty contest in as-new condition and they don't get better with age. Doesn't help that it was my main coon hunting gun and I got tired of trying to remember which tree I leaned it against when skinnin critters so the stock got finished in safety orange. That gun is currently slated for my first home brew barrel chop and DuraCoat job.

LK
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I can't compete with your SKS, but my Mossberg 200K comes close. Mossbergs first pump action shotgun, the 500's granddad.

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Like 336A, I was just about to post my Mossberg 410 bolt action shotgun, but whhheeeewww. You got me beat Scott! :shock:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

m.wun wrote:No UGLY guns here but that SKS is uglier than a mud fence.Keep on shooting it You could
put a trebble hook on the the end of it and make a musky lure.
Just Pike here but my best Friend hails from Manitoba and he wants to take me fishing for some of them big buggers in Lake of the woods close to where he grew up. I took him on his first Trout fishing trip and Mule deer trip now it his turn to pay me back :lol:
His first Muley buck was so funny that as over 20 years ago but he was like that thing is huge "but in a way it looks like a Donkey with horns" I will never forget that Quote as long as I live!! :D

I like the Red & White Spoons Or Five of diamonds for Pike but Orange with Black dots works good too I new I should have put Dots on that gun rather than strips.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

never owned an ugly gun. closest I had was "Ugly Duck" which I sold to a forum member. (and ugly duck wasn't really ugly at all as we knowthe story goes)
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Malamute, that is one fine looking carbine. In my opinion, except for a pregnant woman and an Indian in a suit, there is nothing uglier than an unused gun.

I have many guns that look ugly by this boards standards, but have chosen this one to represent them all:

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

You know, if you paint some thin yellow stripes on either side of the reds you'd have a stock that looks a lot like the Coral snake I shot the other day. You might have to go a bit deeper on the red though.

My least aesthetically pleasing gun is probably my AMT Automag II in 22 Magnum. I still like it though.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

My Contender Carbine is (I think) an early stainless one. It's got the usual "engraving" of a cat on the side, but it's not the nice one like the blued frames have. It looks like it was modeled after a picture of a cat drawn with a crayon by a 6 year-old. I have to laugh every time I look at it. Seriously ugly. The company should have been ashamed to put out something that ugly, but then, I bought it! :roll:

Actually, I think I ordered it, and then after it was in I went ahead and got it even though I was shocked. Should have said, "No, thanks; get me one that won't be laughed at."
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I used to think fixed-sight revolvers looked funny, now they're my favorite. "Ugly" changes. I think a Hi-Point fits my current definition pretty well, aside from the intentional fiddling in some of these pics.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Idahoser wrote:"Ugly" changes.
So does "pretty." :wink:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Idiot wrote:
Idahoser wrote:"Ugly" changes.
So does "pretty." :wink:

I said that once. Wife overheard me. It was hot in the house the rest of the winter (but cold in the doghouse) :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

I have a Jap Type 38 Arisaka that looks kind of rough.

It started out life as a 6.5 Jap, came to the states some way or another (ground mum) and was roughly sporterized some where a long the line. It ended up on the shelf of a local hardware/gun shop with a Lyman aperture sight. I bought it for $65 (in 2000 or so) figuring the sight was worth at least that much.

It shot well enough but I started to notice some incipient head space issues causing brass distortion. I took it to my gunsmith with the idea of having it reworked into a 358 win or 308 but he pointed out that the $ I would have into it with a new barrel would not be worth it. Instead he ran a chamber reamer into it and converted it to 6.5X55mm for $20.

It shoots quarter sized 3 shot groups off a bench rest. It still a little homely but I like it as it makes a nice sized carbine that shoots well, carries easy and is hell for stout. And if it gets wet or dinged by me or someone I loan it to I don't worry about it.

Wm
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

my ugly gun is a walther ppk .Former owner must have towed it around tied to his vehicle but it is still tight as new.Shoots but beat by the ugly stick.
KSRtrd

Post by KSRtrd »

Well my ghetto spray painted 10-22 is a true contender for this.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

None here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

B-92 Steven
Levergunner

Post by B-92 Steven »

Greetings and thank you to 336A. After looking at the picture of his model 185k, I thought I knew that shotgun. My father has a Mossberg model 190, now it is in my possession, so you can say I have the model 190. She is rough, stock has dents and scratches, and there is rust on the barrel. But I will try some T.L.C. and hope to make her look better. I have not done so, but I believe it can still be fired. I did go pheasant hunting with it when I was 9-10 years old. A long time ago. Thanks again 336A
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I kinda agree about the post regarding TC contenders- although my TC Carbine has grown on me.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

No "uglies" here either :D

I guess "ugly", like "beauty" is in the eye of the beholder :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Guns are like women(they all are beautiful) :| and to be respected.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Here's mine:

Or any of these:

Love the fine machine work on the Mosin's!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

first up for perusal is my attempt at a "retro" M-16. I used a complete M-16 upper (604 style) --- but the only prob. is the mismatched jet black late model A2 lower receiver against the phosphate grey upper, plus the beat up furniture. But its a solid shooter and it gets more use than my modern AR's by far -- and it points better and feels lighter than an M-4

next up is my .45 Trapper. I got a relatively good price on it and thought i would fall in love with it anyway --- but after i add up the cost of procuring fresh wood, and the time it will take me for finishing and fitting, then i really should have bought a better example. ---- i admit it doesnt look THAT bad, but a Ram Line stock on a levergun is not my cup of tea. The only thing it really has going for it is it is a pre-safety model, although still obviously an AE

Sorry if any of you fellas puked looking at these 2 :lol:

----- Doug
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Well Doug, there ain't noth'n wrong with the Trapper...at least it is passable. But that other one...
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Malamute wrote:Here's my ugly gun.

Awesome picture...
and that gun aint that bad!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Hairy Clipper
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hairy Clipper »

I am having a difficult time believing SOMEONE would consider a World Famous Herter's Hudson Bay Model Perfect PowerMag Revolver ugly!
This ain't Dodge City and you ain't Bill Hickok!-Mathew Quigley
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Feast your eyes on some serious ugliness (I mentioned this earlier):
I still can't believe I bought this thing.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

Well, I have a chrome .25auto, something or other brand with pink plastic grips somewhere in the back of my closet. I paid $45 for it about 40 yrs ago for my first wife. wonder if it still shoots?
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!