Ranch/Woods bumming rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Ranch/Woods bumming rifle.

Post by 336A »

I was out walking the property today and sort of had myself an epiphany. I have been using my Henry a lot lately for this task but I'm always feeling I need something a little bit better. I've thought about either a Henry .22 magnum or a .357 Mag levergun. I ruled out the .22 mag as it is a little light for coyotes, and the .357 mag is more than needed besides I have a Marlin .44 mag anyway. That is when it hit me :idea: what I really need is a .32 H&R or a .32-20 levergun :D So now the quest for the perfect Ranch/Woods bumming rifle is up and running. Any of you folks have any input here in case I missed something.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ranch/Woods bumming rifle.

Post by COSteve »

I still think a 357mag levergun is the way to go. Just load it with 38spl for your 'downloaded' rounds.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Any rifle will do. I always have a 10/22 .22LR and a Remington 870 12ga. shotgun in my truck.

If I want to take something else with me, I have a choice between rifles in .30-30, .444 Marlin, and .30-06. Any will do. No preference for any of them. They will all do for whatever event comes up.

A .32-20 or any .32 ought to get the job done.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The .357 Mag is the best, most versatile AND likely least expensive alternative. The .32-20 is much better than the .32 H&R for versatility AND it served this purpose admirably for years. Unfortunately, many of the guns in which it is chambered demand (for reasons of collectibilty or usability) and get a premium over the .357 Mag gun. HOWEVER, the .357 Mag gun is versatile without needing to resort to hand loading. That seems to be a big concern to many, even some more advanced users, here and elsewhere.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Find a decent Marlin CL 32-20.115gr lazercast loaded like the factory rounds=pretty tame.Hornady XTP's loaded hot are murder on groundhogs. once Your setup reloading for it the .22's and .22mag will gather dust. just My $02.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Before I even got to the part where you start thinking about the 32-20, I was thinking '32-20'. 8) There is nothing wrong with the other calibers mentioned here in this thread, but the 32-20 is an old cartridge with a lot of history behind it that stretches back to about 1882, when it first came out in the Winchester Model 1873. If I'm going for a stroll, the 32-20 is my first choice. I've taken a lot of varmints with the cartridge, mostly Woodchucks in the alfalfa field, but also other types as well. Last night and today, I've even been loading up a variety of 32-20 loads to try out soon.

As for an affordable 32-20, 45 Colt's suggestion is a good one. There are other modern ones available as well. For example, Cimmarron offers the 32-20 (aka 32 WCF) in several of their Model 1873's (see http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... s/1873.htm# ). They offer first-class in quality. If you are thinking of something a little older, you might look at original examples of the Winchester Model 53 that come available from time to time. The Model 53 was made between 1924 and 1930, though surplus ones continued to sell for another several years. Prices for a decent well used one range between $1,200 and $1,500. Even older is the Winchester Model 1892. There were a lot more 32-20's made in the Model 1892, so they tend to be a bit cheaper. For a decent, well-used one, you can find them anywhere from $600 to$1,400. Then there is the original Model 1873, but prices begin to climb a bit for those. Overall, I prefer the old ones, but it is a lot harder to find a good bore. With a modern one, or modern reproduction, you will start with a pristine bore. I almost forget about the limited edition Browning Model 53, a modern reproduction of the original Winchester Model 53. If you can get your hands on one of those, they represent the epitome of modern 32-20's. They come up for sale from time to time on Gunbroker and elsewhere.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

357 - the power is greater than the 32-20 and there is not price for that power in either money or recoil.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

As a small game hunter I prefer the 32 H&R Magnum. For raccoons in trees the 32 Mag will punch a shoulder and remain in the body.
Large male raccoons can be a challenge for the 32 Magnum even with 115-grain bullets driven to 1,400 fps. I believe this is where the 327 Federal will come into its own for use on 30 pound or lighter critters.
The 32 Magnum is better than the 110- or 125-grain 38 Special on critters and the heavier bullets in the 38 Spl tend to tear things up a bit on light critters such as rabbits. I have several friends who switched from bolt guns to the Marlin 357 rifles to put sport back into rabbit shooting and they will admit the 357 tends to be too much around livestock.

While I enjoy the 32-20 it requires a bit more effort to reload and the brass is just a bit more fragile. The new 327 is everything we hoped for when the 32 H&R Magnum appeared. We have a 24” 32 H&R Magnum barrel for our TC carbine. The 327 will be the answer for a light carry rifle (the TC carbine with iron sights weighs less than 6 pounds) with the power to reliably take catch-as-catch-can shots at coyotes and feral dogs without the extra concern of too much penetration around livestock.
Slim
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

For those suggest the .357 I do realize that it is more versatile, however IMHO it would be to destructive to the pelts (coyote). The other draw back to the .357 is I don't much care for cleaning the nasty carbon ring left behind in the chamber from shooting the lesser cartridge. Aside from that as stated above I already have a Marlin 1894SS .44 mag which IMHO is even better than the .357. But once again the damage done to the pelt of a coyote hit with a 240gr XTP-HP over a MAX charge of H110... I probably won't be getting much $$ out of them. Which is why I figured on the .32-20. KirkD you must be reading my mind as a Marlin is exactly what I had in mind :) Anyone here have any experiences with the .32-20 on coyotes? I'm figuring it should work quite well.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I hate to the odd man out here but it sounds like to me you need a .223. Sorry it isn't offered in a levergun, but it sounds like it would suit you needs more. It can be loaded down to .22 mag power levels with cast bullets if that's what you need or full bore can and has been used for deer. You can pick up tons of brass at most ranges for nothing more than asking.

Marlin had a poll on their home page for a while asking what caliber you'd buy a levergun in and .223 was one of the options. I wonder if anything ever came out of that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I really like just a Marlin, a CB in my case, for general woods bumming and a ranch gun. I prefer the 44 just because we have things around here that make me prefer a heavier bullet. 90% of the time I have a 255gr bullet easin' along at about 1000-1100fps out of a 20" or 24" barrel, though able to up that to 1800fps if needed. Just like I drive my truck at 55mph even though it can do 120mph if needed :mrgreen:

But I'll agree, for 90% of the US, the .357 carbine will do just fine.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Mich Hunter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mich Hunter »

How about this for a woods gun?

Did I mention I am originally from Detroit? Dangerous woods there. :lol:
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I feel that you will end up with your own choice as you should do. I have owned a Winchester 1892 rifle since 1954 in 32-20, it is still my favorite carry rifle. I also own an early Rossi 92 .357 SRC, that has become my truck gun due to the times that we now face. The 32-20 with an XTP in 85 or 100 grain will due what you want, I have taken BIG dogs with mine.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

Mich hunter wrote: I am originally from Detroit? Dangerous woods there. :lol:
Say no more, I understand your choice :lol: :lol: :lol:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

How about a Ruger 9mm (or .40 S&W) carbine...about the same size as a 10/22, but way more power, yet not 'too much' power.

I took the scope off mine but you can see the general configuration of the compact little carbine.

:twisted: I just had to suggest something that wasn't a 'levergun' :twisted:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Marlin 44mag/44spl,... for when too much,... is not enough!!

8)
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

With regard to the power of the 32-20 and what it will take, a lot depends upon your reloads. l typically stay on the low end of things, because I get complete penetration on things like Woodchucks with just a 90 grain bullet at around 1,200 fps. However, I am looking at changing up to a 115 grain cast bullet at around 1,400 fps. You can go a lot higher than that, of course. Snooky Williamson has published loads that include the 311316 115 grain cast bullet over 14 grains of IMR 4227 for 1,848 fps. and several jacketed bullets in the mid-1,800 fps range. My Hornady manual lists their 100 grain XTP bullet over 14.6 grains of IMR 4227 for 2,000 fps. As far as case life at these higher powers, Snooky writes that he got 11 reloads with his cast load (1,848 fps) and 9 reloads with his max jacketed load of 1,946 fps. Snooky Williamson wrote that he's taken approximately 40 deer with his 32-20, although he says they were all under 100 yards. The bottom line, is that the 32-20 has a lot of versatility that covers a whole range of critters, depending upon how you load it. As far as reloading the 32-20 goes, when I first started, I wrecked one, maybe two cases, until I got my dies adjusted properly. Since then, I have as trouble-free reloading with them as with any other cartridge. Another reason I like the 32-20 at lower power loadings of around 1,200 fps is that it is quiet. I can plink away at random targets if I wish, without the kind of roar that echoes up and down the valley like larger caliber guns do.
Last edited by KirkD on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I think really, it's just a matter of what you find enjoyable to carry, shoot, and load for, with maybe a bit of nastalgia added if you want. Anything will work up through 30/30. I carry a pre-64, model 94 flatband, 30/30 a lot, because for some reason, I seem to make more consistant one shot kills with it, on just about anything, and it really doesn't get much better in the carrying department, if you want a little power.

Another gun I like very much, and mine seems to shoot really good for me, even with the factory iron sights is my Browning 92 in 44mag. I keep it stoked with Mag-tech 240 grain jacked softnoses because they feed and shoot so well, but one could eaisly load some cast bullets at lower speeds, for a light load, and they would be easy to identify from one another. I have been doing that with 44mags for many years, light cast bullet load, and warmer jacked (usually hollowpoint) load.

I do wish I had a Browning 92 in .357, but I do own a Winchester angle eject in .357. It's a fine shooter, but has a fairly heavy barrel, and seems to be heavier then even my 20 inched barrel model 94's.

All in all, though, since I don't hunt for hides, much, I find a pre-64 30/30 about perfect, and I almost forgot, anything over 30 caliber is not really legal, outside of deer or bear season, here in Arkansas, but the old 30/30 can be legally carried for most of the year, since coyotes are legal to shoot with 30 cal or under. However, I don't worry about it much here on the farm, and I will carry anything I want, anytime I want.
NRA Life Member, Patron
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Rusty wrote:I hate to the odd man out here but it sounds like to me you need a .223.
Agreement

:wink:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Truth be told, for just roaming about in the mountains or deserts nearby, I usually don't carry a rifle. The toothy criters aren't that large, or common, the most likely problem would be two legged snakes. So, generally I carry just a handgun. Oh, there is a long gun in my jeep, my custom made Mossberg 500 .410 survival gun lives there, and I usually bring something else along too. But if I venture from the jeep, it's usually with just a handgun.

But for those times when I do carry a rifle while out and about, it tends to be a levergun in either 30-30 or 45-70. I've never thought that carrrying a smaller caliber rifle made sense. If it's something a handgun can't do, then you are going to need something a bit more powerful than say a 32-20.

Now don't get me wrong, if one were looking to hunt small game with a levergun, a 32-20 would be ideal. Heck, for what it's designed for it's a great cartridge.

So, I guess my point is, go with a 30-30. It'll take care of just about anything you need a rifle for. Heck, it's been doing it for over 100 years.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

COSteve wrote:I still think a 357mag levergun is the way to go. Just load it with 38spl for your 'downloaded' rounds.
+ 1000!
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

sounds like your mind is made up but there is no need to worry about pelt damage with the .357 or cleaning the chamber. You can down load .357 to 38 special and you can use hard cast bullets and don't need to use rapid expanding bullets. I would choose the .357 in a 92 but you can't go wrong with caliber choice so long as your happy. good luck.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm with Kirk!

It's hard to beat a .32-20 for a trail / woods loafer!
My two favorites.
A 1926 SRC and 1913 Rifle.

Both have knocked off a pile of varmints.
I have two more '92s, a 44-40 and a Rossi 357 but I always come back to the .32WCF!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rjohns94 wrote:sounds like your mind is made up but there is no need to worry about pelt damage with the .357 or cleaning the chamber. You can down load .357 to 38 special and you can use hard cast bullets and don't need to use rapid expanding bullets. I would choose the .357 in a 92 but you can't go wrong with caliber choice so long as your happy. good luck.
FWIW...

Killed not a few squirrels with a 158gr .357 catsneeze. Icepick hole. No other damage. Actually, sometimes the subsonic Keiths won't do enough damage and you have to go and pith the poor critters...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I have a 32-20 Marlin 1894 CL that I am willing to part with. I will include enough ammo to keep you shooting for awhile and dies to reload with when you are done. Just shoot me a PM.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Don't let me talk you outta a .32. I think they're great. But...........

It is not gonna do less damage on a yote than a moderate hardcast .357 IMO. Neither is gonna blow em up, just punch ugly holes that are more than manageable. About the only thing you will gain is a slightly flatter trajectory. Don't know what to tell you other than that. I change my about the subject of "perfect woods rifle" about every ten minutes. Lately I've been on a kick about needing more range. It's Murphy's Law that's done it to me. You know......the law that says that no matter what gun I carry a coyote will always be just outta range. But that only works in the coyotes favor up to a point. Thus pointy nosed centerfires enter the picture.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Marlin .218 Bee?

LK
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The choice of a bumming rifle is a subjective thing. There are so many that could potentially fill the bill. I've owned or own a variety of possibilities in this area. They included the 22 rimfire, 25-20, 32-20, 38-40, 20 bore shotgun, the 44-40 and the 44 Mag. Since I owned all of them at one time or another, and many of them I still own, it has been a bit of a mystery to me why I always seem to prefer to pick up the 32-20. My subjective feeling was that the 38-40, 44-40, and 44 Mag were just to powerful for a strolling rifle where my prime targets are varmints. I see those three as deer and bear rifles. The 44 Mag, especially, made way too much racket when I'd pull the trigger, and it would literally blow open the Woodchuck using the 240 grain hollow points. I don't like do crack a peaceful evening stroll with a monstrous roar. On the other hand, I have not been particularly pleased with the 25-20. It seems to be underpowered, at least in its flat-nosed version. The hollow points would be a whole different story. To up the power a bit, I've upped the velocity, but then I have to put up with a good, 'CRACK' when I pull the trigger. I can get the same punch with a 32-20 115 grain bullet at lower velocity and it hardly seems to be much louder than a 22 rimfire .... more of a nice 'SNAP'. Well, as I said before, there are a lot of good choices and, in the end, it seems to reduce to a simple subjective preference. I'd say go with the one that gives you the most all-around pleasure.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like the 32-20 idea as well. I don't think you need to worry about pelt damage on coyotes hurting the value of them. I don't know about your area, but nice ones without big holes were bringing a whopping $4.00 this year around here. :evil:
NRA Life Member
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like the 32-20 idea as well. I don't think you need to worry about pelt damage on coyotes hurting the value of them. I don't know about your area, but nice ones without big holes were bringing a whopping $4.00 this year around here. :evil:
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

shawn_c992001 wrote:I have a 32-20 Marlin 1894 CL that I am willing to part with. I will include enough ammo to keep you shooting for awhile and dies to reload with when you are done. Just shoot me a PM.
There you go. I know if I had the money I'd buy a second...

Then, I'd buy a second 1894C .357 Mag, too!

To my mind, ammo availability is going to be a concern. Handloaded, either will do but you have to have brass to load. Sometimes .32-20 brass is hard to find. We've had .357 and .38 brass and ammo all through the "panic".
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

You don't list a 30-30... that would make the best choice IMHO. You can load up some 150 grian cast boolits at 1500 fps or so for the coyote duty. Those are great shooting general lower power woods duty rounds.

You can get one in 16" trim if you want short and handy though I've always found the 20" barreld models plenty handy.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I shoot 32-20 level loads in my 30-30 for small game and varmints, a 115 gr lead flat point @ 1200 fps vel. I also shoot round balls with 3 grs Unique for a rather quiet load for small game and grouse (kills snakes well also). I leave the magazine loaded with regular full power 170's, for whatever may happen along that needs a bit more power. If I shoot a light load, I just eject it and either reload the chamber, pushing the lifter down, or leave an empty chamber by doing the same thing.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

There you go - even better. All's we need is a 30-30 and reloading equipment for it. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

The whole notion of a 'woods bumming' rifle is a little ferrin' to me as I have always used handguns in that role. For me to use one, it'd have to be equipped with a sling.

Drawing from available stock, I'd likely grab the 16" Rossi .45 Colt because it's light, handy and shoots to the sights. If I expected a possible 200 yard shot, the 94 Winchester would go; cast bullet small game loads are in the works for that one, too. I also have a 580 series Mini 14 that really handy and shoots. Any of them would do with suitable loads.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Rusty wrote:I hate to the odd man out here but it sounds like to me you need a .223. .
Ruger ranch rifle with wood furniture and a discreet 5 round mag with a thin leather military style sling --- I had one of the PC-9 carbines like AJMD pictured, but you never know when that odd 200 yard shot will come up

(But of course -- a sweet little .32-20 will do nicely too :) )
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

TedH wrote:I like the 32-20 idea as well. I don't think you need to worry about pelt damage on coyotes hurting the value of them. I don't know about your area, but nice ones without big holes were bringing a whopping $4.00 this year around here. :evil:

dang--- i'd rather watch 'em run on by for 4 bucks (unless they were messing with my cows or something -- but they never do -- in my area at least)
----- Doug
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Malamute, I thought I was the only guy who used snowdrifts as a 'field rack'. I've got a near-twin to that rifle, right down to the sights, although your stock is a little nicer than mine.

I just ordered a few 135 grain RNFP's from MO Bullets for small game/pest loads...I'm thinking 5-6 grains of W231 might be a good place to start? they don't have to be real fast for what I'm gonna do with 'em.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Rusty wrote:I hate to the odd man out here but it sounds like to me you need a .223. Sorry it isn't offered in a levergun,
At one time Browning offered the BLR in .223, a buddy of mine had one. We had a heck of a time finding it in the late '80's, I can just imagine they'd be very hard to find now.

One of my .357 long guns, I have two '92's, a Beretta "Lightning" clones, and now a Beretta '73 clone, is always my companion when I go to the farm. I usually carry a .357 snub on my belt and the rifle is in a saddle boot on whatever vehicle I'm using for work that day. It's really hard to beat a .357 carbine for a walk-around gun, but I'm not worried about pelt damage.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Malamute, that is a real nice photo.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I love the picture.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I carry an "El Tigre" in 44-40 or a 9422M most of the time but not all the time. They each have a sling with a cartridge carrier attached.
"That'll Be The Day"
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Sarge wrote:Malamute, I thought I was the only guy who used snowdrifts as a 'field rack'. I've got a near-twin to that rifle, right down to the sights, although your stock is a little nicer than mine.

I just ordered a few 135 grain RNFP's from MO Bullets for small game/pest loads...I'm thinking 5-6 grains of W231 might be a good place to start? they don't have to be real fast for what I'm gonna do with 'em.

Snow is a handy field rack. :D That particular gun is one of the few I have that doesn't have a sling (yet). It isnt my usual knock around gun, but I like to let all of them get some fresh air now and then. It had a Lyman 56 reciever sight and a sourdough front.

I've been using 6 1/2 grs Unique with the 115 gr bullets, with a tiny bit of dacron to keep the powder next to the primer. The amount of 231 you mentioned would be in about the same range I believe, and may not need the dacron for consistancy.

There's some interesting information here. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
Last edited by Malamute on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

If we add the Model 94 Winchester to the mix – and it does not qualify as a light: “back forty walking rifle” for me. I think we should then talk about the 25-35 WCF. Using 75- 85- and 100-grain bullets you have a real walking varmint rifle that will take on coyotes at long range and light critters up close.
The only drawback to the 25-35 is it suffers from the lack of a good quality 100-grain bullet. I load the 100-grain Speer jacketed hollow point bullet to 2,600 fps and feed them through the magazine of my Model 94AE without difficulty, but the cartridge really needs a good quality flat nose bullet intended for use in the tubular magazine.
Slim
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Nobody's mentioned a 25-20 yet. I tend to agree with Kirk's posts about the 92 and the 32-20, but the 25-20 at least deserves some consideration. Both rounds have been used since their inceptions on small game, and on deer as well. Both are accurate rounds, and in a 92 or a vintage Marlin, work equally well with jacketed and cast bullets. If you need more power than that in your "woods walking", best move up to a 30-30--or if you still feel undergunned, try a 45-70 with handloads. :)
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

90% of the time, a 357 Rossi or Browning with same caliber on the hip. Need anything bigger than that (genuine bear or "very likely" big cat) country, those get switched to .44 Mag in same. Since any real "woods" in Arizona mean possible bear (black) encounter, that's the gun pair. May sound arsebackwards, but for tromping it's a 20" carbine--as it's plenty light enough and there is that possibility of a longer shot (still <125 yds). If just camping, it's a trapper--for its greater wieldability in short range/tight quarters for quick lethal shots; with the lesser capacity not amounting to anything then. In these close encounters, it's very like it'll be the revolver that comes out anyway. But for "just" likely cats at most (desert and mid latitude scrub), the .357 is fine. In the desert, I would not feel undergunned either with a .32 Mag or better yet .327 carbine if they came out with one--and it fits the definition of a "bumming" gun perfectly when squirrels 'n such, maybe Kyotes and smaller cats, etc., are possibly on the "menu." Since a .32-20 is a very good thing, a "modern-day" .32-20 can't be a bad thing at all!

Deer hunting season's another matter altogether and the .30-30 and/or bolt comes out, but we're talking bumming here. As others have said, I would never feel bad trompimg with one of the .30-30s either--loaded appropriately for whatever the most likely quarry/encounter. If it's "purposeful" bear country, the '86 Browning SRC comes out, but then you're not "just bummin," :-)...and then it's definitely sling time--I would not otherwise want to be carrying that around all day.
Last edited by gak on Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Malamute wrote:....

I've been using 6 1/2 grs Unique with the 115 gr bullets, with a tiny bit of dacron to keep the powder next to the primer. The amount of 231 you mentioned would be in about the same range I believe, and may not need the dacron for consistancy.

There's some interesting information here. http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
Thanks for the link, Amigo. I had stumbled onto their 30-30 AI page but hadn't quite found the index yet.

I'll second the congregation here in expressing my appreciation for the photos you post. The one with all the sixguns & rifles, hanging/stacked by the log cabin door, sure reminds me of the old house I grew up in.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

336A wrote:Anyone here have any experiences with the .32-20 on coyotes? I'm figuring it should work quite well.
Just one. I had a .32-20 1892 rifle I was considering buying... was in the barn reloading when the cats lounging around jumped up, scurried off to their hidey-holes. I decided to investigate, midday a I peeked outta the shop down the alleyway a fiar-sized male was walkin' toward the barn. I loaded some Hi-Vel and waited for a profile or a quartering shot. Mr coydog obliged when the neighbors donkey started a ruckus. Soft Point went thru rt shoulder and exited about the middle of the ribcage. Exit hole just about twice the size of the entry. Distance: maybe 50 yards.

The Hi-Vel stuff is quite a bit hotter than standard velocity .32-20. Difference on game.. I don't know
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I think Kirk as made a sound case for the 32-20, pardon the pun. Its a caliber that has been carried around a lot of woods for a very long time. 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

william iorg wrote:If we add the Model 94 Winchester to the mix – and it does not qualify as a light: “back forty walking rifle” for me. I think we should then talk about the 25-35 WCF. Using 75- 85- and 100-grain bullets you have a real walking varmint rifle that will take on coyotes at long range and light critters up close.
Great thought!

I often use my own Model 64 .25-35 with a 110 gr cast and 22grs of 3031 for a hiking/woods bummin' rifle. Powerful enough for deer, great accuracy even at 200 yards and no real massive meat damage and would probably just poke a hole in a fur bearing animal.

2x22
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I've gotta get some pictures of my 32-20 so I can show it off.
Old Law Dawg