Ranch/Woods bumming rifle.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Ranch/Woods bumming rifle.

Post by PaulB »

A lot of good ideas here. I will have to think about them some.

While I like the idea of a .32H&R/.327Mag or .32-20, I'm annoyed at the bullet diameter nonsense. TC makes these guns with a .308 bore. Why have a .311 bore in the first place? It's just annoying. Should have been dealt with 80 years ago.

Also don't like the problem with .32-20 of keeping the max loads down to 2 or 3 per case.

Agree that .357Mag seems a little too much for a lot of this stuff, as is .30-30; however there is a lot to be said for common calibers which makes up a lot in being sub-optimal otherwise.

For bumming (what little I do) I find myself using not a lever gun but a TC Carbine. I'm working up to getting a 6.5 TCU barrel, something that works well with light loads, with varmint bullets, but is good enough for everything up to deer at 200 yards, and that uses common brass and is fun to shoot in a light gun. About the only thing missing is finding light cast bullets for it; the few that are available seem to be in the 140gr range. Nice thing about a single shot is that you bring a selection of different loads and just use the one that is appropriate (assuming you've worked out the differing trajectories somehow).

Another nice thing about the TC Carbine is that it easily breaks down into a backpack.

I just wish the TC Carbine was not such an ugly gun. Oh, well, can't have everything...

For bear country, the handgun is the thing (629 Smith for me). But then we're talking hauling 2 guns around, which may be overkill as far as bumming is concerned.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Look up the 12ga Stoeger Outback;
Then look up the Dixie Tri Ball ammo.

Super easy to carry/two shots as fast as you can pull the trigger(sending (6) 315gr 60 cal hardcast balls on their merry way in a instant with 2 shots.Good out to at least 50yards or more??
And it will shoot smaller buckshot or some big slugs.
I just think that small 20" over/under with adj rifle sights would be kinda fun!

Here is a photo of someone holding one at a gun show!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/ad ... 170162.jpg
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Shawn thank you for the polite offer. However since I just bought a much needed lawn tractor my fun $$ is no more :( So it will take me a considerable amount of time to even get a sustantial amount in the fun fund again.

I didn't think that this topic would take off as much as it did. There are a lot of good ideas out there to consider. However I still think that the ol' .32-20 makes more sense than some other favorable mentions. As Kirk D stated the .32-20 has been around a long time and earned quite a reputation for itslef in this role. If the .327 Federal puts the .32 back on the map and Marlin chambers it in the 1894 it will be a possibilty.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

As for an affordable 32-20, 45 Colt's suggestion is a good one. There are other modern ones available as well. For example, Cimmarron offers the 32-20 (aka 32 WCF) in several of their Model 1873's (see http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/Repeat ... /1873.htm# ).

Kirk

As much as I like my 73 short rifle in 32-20, I don't consider a 8.5 lb 32-20 a "bumming" rifle. If I'm going for a walk, I pick up the marlin and the 73 and the 73 goes back in the safe. I'm old enough that 2.5+ lbs matters if I'm out for having fun.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

PaulB wrote:Also don't like the problem with .32-20 of keeping the max loads down to 2 or 3 per case.
Snooky Williamson's information, which I posted earlier, has the max load life of the 32-20 brass much greater than 2 or 3 times. I've posted it in my second or third post on this thread, but if I recall correctly, it was 11 times for cast bullets in the mid-1,800 fps range and 9 times for jacketed bullets in the mid-1,900 fps range.
Leverluver wrote:As much as I like my 73 short rifle in 32-20, I don't consider a 8.5 lb 32-20 a "bumming" rifle. If I'm going for a walk, I pick up the marlin and the 73 and the 73 goes back in the safe. I'm old enough that 2.5+ lbs matters if I'm out for having fun.
Well, you need to do what I did and get a Winchester or Browning Model 53 in 32-20. Those rifles, with the rapid taper, 22" barrel, button mag, and light model 92 action, are so light, you'll have to keep it tied to you with a string so it doesn't float away! :D
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

rangerider7 wrote:I carry an "El Tigre" in 44-40 or a 9422M most of the time but not all the time. They each have a sling with a cartridge carrier attached.
Rangerider, a couple of questions if you don't mind: How did you attach the sling to the 9422M and where did you find a cartridge carrier to fit the 22 mag rounds?
I've got a 9422M and I think it's as good as anything else for this role in my area. Thanks.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Marlin 94 CL in 32-20 is my woods loafing rifle . It's is as light as a 22 but with more punch. But a Marlin in 357 would be alot easier to get ammo for. Right now jacketed 32 bullets are non existant. Hornady is suppose to be making a run of them in April so stock up. My woods loafing revolver is a Ruger in 32 Mag.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

For those that do not reload, the 32-20 is probably not a very good choice. For those that do, especially those that cast their own bullets, ammo availability is not an issue once a fellow has a couple bags of brass and a bullet mould.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think any caliber will do, you might consider the rifle, how heavy it is, comfortable to carry, reliable, etc.

I'm thinking of getting another 1894c to carry in the woods. Ok for close-in defense, a pound lighter than a 336, arguably more handy. You don't have to lube the cases, you can get copper bullets for it that expand at low velocity, the list goes on and on.

I also recently got a Handi-Rifle in .243, weighs even less than an 1894. Good coyote round and deer-capable.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I hate to give up the 200 yard reach... every time I see a 94 Trapper in 30-30, I think that might be just the ticket. 950 fps cast loads just ain't that hard to build.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sarge wrote:I hate to give up the 200 yard reach... every time I see a 94 Trapper in 30-30, I think that might be just the ticket. 950 fps cast loads just ain't that hard to build.
Yep, that's my woods/hikin' piece... even when riding it rode along.

But... I don't feel any need to download at all. I am mindful of my backstop.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

KirkD wrote:For those that do not reload, the 32-20 is probably not a very good choice. For those that do, especially those that cast their own bullets, ammo availability is not an issue once a fellow has a couple bags of brass and a bullet mould.
Actually, because it isn't a popular caliber, 32-20 isn't a good choice in any case. The 38spl / 357mag family of ammo and reloading components makes significantly more sense in today's environment even if you cast your own bullets.

Nostalgia aside, the 32-20 is an obsolete caliber that both time and technology have passed by. Just as the mighty battleship's 16" main guns were at one time the epitome of naval power but now have become extinct, so too are the old black powder calibers because technology has passed them by too.

If you want to relive the old west, ride around lookin the part, or partake in cowboy action shooting then an obsolete caliber may be just the ticket. But if you are looking for a modern ranch/woods bumming rifle, then a modern caliber like the 38spl / 357mag family makes considerably more practical sense.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow Steve,now all of my guns are obsolete.....so I guess My .338 express will have to do!!! :) .
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

They may be obsolete but I'd love to have a .32-20 in a '92. My bud's got one and it's a blast to shoot. Everyone here should know how much I love a .357 for a light rifle caliber, I've got 4 right now and half a dozen pistols, but the little .32-20s and .25-20s are just plain fun guns to shoot.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

COSteve wrote:
KirkD wrote:For those that do not reload, the 32-20 is probably not a very good choice. For those that do, especially those that cast their own bullets, ammo availability is not an issue once a fellow has a couple bags of brass and a bullet mould.
Actually, because it isn't a popular caliber, 32-20 isn't a good choice in any case. ... if you are looking for a modern ranch/woods bumming rifle, then a modern caliber like the 38spl / 357mag family makes considerably more practical sense.
I don't understand why obsolete calibers aren't good choices if a fellow likes them and has the brass and bullet moulds. When I settle on a cartridge, the first thing I do is buy enough brass to last the rest of my life and then some, as well as a bullet mould. 'Obsolete' is only in the mind of the individual. Once I have brass to last the next 100 years or so, and a way of making my own bullets, it's not obsolete anymore for me. Whether a 32-20 bullet is moving at 1,200 fps or 2,000 fps, the bullet does not worry about whether it is obsolete, I don't worry about whether it is obsolete, and neither does the target.

In fact, in difficult times, just see who has all the ammo they want ..... the fellow searching the stores for some factory 357 ammo, or the fellow with the old 32-20 with a couple bags of brass, a bullet mould, and many hundreds of pounds of wheel weights in his garage. A little over a year ago, my brother-in-law in NY State, could not find a single box of 357 ammo anywhere. The only ammo his local shooting stores had was the obsolete stuff that few people bought. Because he travels a lot, he found a couple boxes of 357 ammo in Texas after a month or so. As for me, the ammo shortage was non-existent when it came to my 32-20. So 'obsolete' means different things at different times. For me, there are no obsolete cartridges.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Well Said Kirk
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I gotta agree with Kirk obsolete is a factory ammo only kind of thing, IF YOU ARE WILLING TO INVEST IN THE BRASS AT THE OUTSET. I shoot a 33 WCF last factory loaded in the 1950's(?) But I have the means to load about 250 rounds at a moments notice. BUT for a bumming rifle I think I might want something a little more generalized too. My woods rifles in the past have included muzzleloaders,M1 carbine, 94, ar-7, 12 pump, SMLEs, SKS, still don't have "the one" but half the fun is trying new ones all the time. A lever in anything from 22lr to 45-70 that YOU CAN SHOOT is the right rifle AFAIC. Look around for the best deal you can find and get it. After a year or so you'll want to try something else anyway. My opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it. The nice thing is you can't do this wrong it's your decision and like women you are entitled to change your mind about what rifle to carry. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

.357 cowboy loads are also very quiet and fit right into the "midweight" idea that started this thread.
The Ultramax 125-gr. is an amazingly accurate subsonic. Buffalo Arms has a great buy on these - 250 rounds for $115.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I'll agree with everyone that "obsolete" is not a term that should be used by reloaders and IMO, if you're shooting centerfires for anything more than a hundred or 2 rounds a year you should be. The only advantage I see for a .357 is when you're low on reloads (as I've been known to get) and just want to pick up a couple boxes of factory stuff for some hunting, plinkin or range time with buddies. Nothing worse than getting low and HAVING to reload the night before an event. I don't like HAVING to do anything.

LK
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

COSteve -- Thanks for letting me know that my .30-30 and .30-06 calibers and corresponding rifles are out of date and obsolete. I knew there was something wrong. I just couldn't put my finger on it.

I don't doubt that the .357 family is a great family. I used to have a couple of .357 magnum revolvers. Alas, I don't have anything in .357 magnum now except 1500 rounds of factory loaded ammo languishing in an old ammo can along with various reloading components for the .357 magnum on the shelves of my reloading bench.

Oh well, at my age, some would call me out of date and obsolete so I'll just stick with my .30-30 and .30-06 rifles.
ED
Yer never too old
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i'd go with a rossi trapper in .357. you can aquire ammo cheap , relative to the others mentioned, in any boxmart store. anything you like and shoot well will work. i like the versatillity of the .38spl, .357 mag. it has killed everything on this continent and probablly africa, in a handgun! wouldn't be my 1st choice for brown bear, but, in reality, it's taken quite a few. disadvantage is you gotta get up close with the big stuff :P
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I gotta agree with Kirk, to a reloader nothing is obsolete. I reloaded for a .401 Winchester 1910, know what brass I used? 7.62x39 and it worked great! I also load for the .22 Jett, it uses .357 mag brass. How many boxes of that ammo have you seen on the shelf?
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Just because its obsolete does NOT mean it isnt effective
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

KirkD wrote: When I settle on a cartridge, the first thing I do is buy enough brass to last the rest of my life and then some, as well as a bullet mould.
THANK YOU! I had to show my wife your post so she understood I'm not the only one in the world that has been doing the same for the past 35 years.................. :mrgreen:

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

KirkD wrote:
COSteve wrote:
Actually, because it isn't a popular caliber, 32-20 isn't a good choice in any case. ... if you are looking for a modern ranch/woods bumming rifle, then a modern caliber like the 38spl / 357mag family makes considerably more practical sense.
I don't understand why obsolete calibers aren't good choices if a fellow likes them and has the brass and bullet moulds. When I settle on a cartridge, the first thing I do is buy enough brass to last the rest of my life and then some, as well as a bullet mould. 'Obsolete' is only in the mind of the individual. Once I have brass to last the next 100 years or so, and a way of making my own bullets, it's not obsolete anymore for me. Whether a 32-20 bullet is moving at 1,200 fps or 2,000 fps, the bullet does not worry about whether it is obsolete, I don't worry about whether it is obsolete, and neither does the target.

In fact, in difficult times, just see who has all the ammo they want ..... the fellow searching the stores for some factory 357 ammo, or the fellow with the old 32-20 with a couple bags of brass, a bullet mould, and many hundreds of pounds of wheel weights in his garage. A little over a year ago, my brother-in-law in NY State, could not find a single box of 357 ammo anywhere. The only ammo his local shooting stores had was the obsolete stuff that few people bought. Because he travels a lot, he found a couple boxes of 357 ammo in Texas after a month or so. As for me, the ammo shortage was non-existent when it came to my 32-20. So 'obsolete' means different things at different times. For me, there are no obsolete cartridges.

Yup! 8)

The only obsolete cartridge I am aware of,... is any cartridge I need, but don't have, when I want it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Obsolete???? should we not abandon our 19th century leverguns and only use Semi-Autos? :?
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

I like the 357 as well i have the mod92 trapper 16inch barrel still under 6 pounds fully loaded hard to beat, but the old 32-20 is nice too. just get what you really feel will suit you and you cant go wrong if it goes bang.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Certain firearms and calibers may be obsolete but that does not mean that they are any less useful. If we are to go by that line of thinking then why would anyone in their right mind want a Winchester 1876 reproduction rifle in .45-60 or 45-75, when the .45-70 is better? Or how about an original 1873? I would love to have one of the afore mentioned rifles just for the sake of it being a huge part of firearms history.
dirtcowboy
Levergunner

Post by dirtcowboy »

Puma in .44 mag. Light weight, nice power, cheap enuff I don't care if it gets scratched or dinged.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

if obsolete is the reason one buys or doesn't buy a firearm then for over a year almost every firearm has been obsolete as I haven't seen an abundance of ammo in anything.
Most of my firearms are not currently made and that is why I have them, so I can be different and besides my old stuff does just fine. Like KirkD I have enough brass for a few years and I like the 32-20, 375 winchester and others. I have never found them lacking and I like the idea I don't need to depend on the gunshop for my ammo.
KirkD I only shoot 115 grain bullets in my 32-20 and can't tell you my load as I just moved and can't find a darn thing yet. I have a mold that is similar to 311316 but isn't that bullet and I am looking at getting it in a hollow point which will drop it weight some but should be fun to shoot.
Most of my firearms are shooting lead bullets I make just cause it is fun to do and gives me another part of the reloading game to enjoy.
Someone I think said they didn't think the 32-20 was a good round to be out with and if you are in bear country you are correct and you should have something bigger and a 357 mag in a rifle isn't it. I would prefer my 375 winchester with 268 grain lead bullet or my 45-70 with 425 grain bullet. But that is me as I like a bigger hole when shooting bigger critters. If all you are doing is hunting small game I can't see where the 32-20 or 357 mag would be bad if you aren't hunting for pelts then I have to again agree with kirkd that a 32-20 will do just fine.
The most important thing is to know what you are going to do with the rifle and what its limits are and then get the appropriate rifle.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I love obsolete:)
Anyways, pick a caliber that handles the job in trapper configuration and have at it.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

shdwlkr wrote: Someone I think said they didn't think the 32-20 was a good round to be out with and if you are in bear country you are correct and you should have something bigger ...
I would agree. If I'm in an area where there are Cougar or Black Bear, then my Winchester 30-30 carbine is my gun of choice. If I was in an area where I may encounter a Grizz, then I might still take my 30-30, but I might be more inclined to use my .45-70 extra light as my bumming around rifle.
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

KirkD
Isn't strange how the older we get the more we understand what a proper rifle for the situation is. I have a 32-20, 357mag, 30-30, 375 winchester and a 45-70 all have their definite uses in my world and there is very little over lapping as I load one or two bullets per caliber and it is for a reason that I do that as each has its defined use. I am also moving more and more to lead bullets because I can get the weight I want and can make them either hollow point or solid. It is also a very good way to extend my fun with reloading as now there is another step I can do for myself.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Something light and easy to carry- Winchester 92 or 94 firing your favourite poison has to come close.

Mine would be a 25-20 so as not to damage either meat or pelt.
Irascible
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Irascible »

Any of the Marlin CL (classics) they are light and came in 218 Bee, 25-20 and 32-20 and with cast bullets would cause no pelt damage nor torn up meat! All would be would be wonderful for your needs, unless you came between a sow Bear and her cubs! Marlin also made Cowboy versions in 32 H&R and 38 spcl they are pretty dandy for woodswalkin also. My choice 20 years was a CL in 25-20 with an cast 85gr RCBS cowboy bullet
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be - Abe Lincoln
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I prefer an 1873 or 1892 in 44-40 caliber for general woods bumming. :D

Never had any use for the 32-20. :|
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

at camp....which is black bear country....
most of the time its the win 94 44 mag src....& 629 revolver
but that does not mean the rest dont get a chance to play...
from 22 to 38-55 to 12 or 20 ga.....
I guess it depends on the season too!

You guys need to post more pics..... :wink:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
stinkycat
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stinkycat »

i expect my new/old 32-20 will be spending a lot of time in the woods!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Rimfire, Your right:

The model 10 is not longer in the fold, and the ruger speed six is sporting elk horn grips now, but the rifle and one of the three handguns, all in .357, are my primary woods walking guns, and my truck rifle and daily carry, and .......
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
bcp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bcp »

I'm old enough that 2.5+ lbs matters if I'm out for having fun.
I hate it when I get home in the evening and find my arms are 6 inches longer than they were in the morning. :)

Bruce
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Grizzly Adams wrote:I prefer an 1873 or 1892 in 44-40 caliber for general woods bumming. :D

Some folks might think that the '73 is a little heavy for bumming around in the woods. However, for me part of the enjoyment is having along a fine old Winchester that I enjoy. For that reason, there have been a few times when I've taken my 10-pound '76 out for a stroll down to the alfalfa field. Perhaps the most important factor about a rifle you like to take for bumming around in the woods is not about lightness or caliber necessarily; it's about the feeling you get when you are carrying that rifle in the woods and you take a look at it and you feel all happy to have it in your hand.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

KirkD wrote: Perhaps the most important factor about a rifle you like to take for bumming around in the woods is not about lightness or caliber necessarily; it's about the feeling you get when you are carrying that rifle in the woods and you take a look at it and you feel all happy to have it in your hand.
Hear hear!

My favorite packin' rifle is a 20" Marlin Cowboy in .44. I can load 'er up with 10 rounds to make it balance perfectly and don't give a whit about the weight even though with the octagon barrel and the extra rounds it is a bit on the heavy side but balances so nicely. The rifle makes me happy. It is as simple as that. (plus, I can slip shells out of my gunbelt and right into the rifle!)

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

KirkD wrote:
Grizzly Adams wrote:I prefer an 1873 or 1892 in 44-40 caliber for general woods bumming. :D

Some folks might think that the '73 is a little heavy for bumming around in the woods. However, for me part of the enjoyment is having along a fine old Winchester that I enjoy. For that reason, there have been a few times when I've taken my 10-pound '76 out for a stroll down to the alfalfa field. Perhaps the most important factor about a rifle you like to take for bumming around in the woods is not about lightness or caliber necessarily; it's about the feeling you get when you are carrying that rifle in the woods and you take a look at it and you feel all happy to have it in your hand.
+1 It is one of life's simple, but great pleasures. :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

rjohns94 wrote:Rimfire, Your right:

The model 10 is not longer in the fold, and the ruger speed six is sporting elk horn grips now, but the rifle and one of the three handguns, all in .357, are my primary woods walking guns, and my truck rifle and daily carry, and .......
.38-.357 in a hangun or rifle can do it all on the north american continent. you just gotta get close, use a 180 grain hardcast for the mean stuff, and shoot straight.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Today I bought a NIB rossi 92 in .357. I already own a bunch of other levers, bolts, a auto and pump. I am going to do a few mods to the gun. I think I got a deal as it was marked down to $368 from $500. It looks almost identical to my browning 92 in .44 mag. I belive it will be a permanet fixture on my ATV.
I will put up a picture later tonight when I can get the wife to take it.
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Here is the picture. The .357 rossi on the left and browning .44 mag on the right.

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

What the heck. Here are all my levers. The 88 is 1957 in .308, the 64 in 30-30 a safe queen from 1952, the 94 30-30 I bought new in 1957, the two 92s, and my 95 30-40 from 1931.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nice batch of levers you got there, Booger Bill. I hope you never even think about parting with your Browning 92 in 44 Mag. Those are nice guns.