OT - Jeff Bridges

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

OT - Jeff Bridges

Post by Gun Smith »

Did I miss a posting about Jeff Bridges being cast as Rooster Cogburn in the, now in production, remake of True Grit?
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT - Jeff Bridges

Post by deerwhacker444 »

That's what they're sayin, although I could do With Out Matt Damon..!

True Grit
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

What a shame!

Too bad they didn't find a good actor who isn't some sort of liberal wienie.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Here's who they got for Mattie Ross

Personally, I think Glen Cambell was the weakest, worst actor they could have found to play a toughman in a western, and I think he tainted the film. Surely, Damon will be able to play a better part, regardless of his politics.

I've never read the book, didn't even know it was taken from a book. For those of you who've read it, what's the difference? Will there be more shootin and violence than in the original movie? I like the Coen's work, I bet they'll do it justice. They just need to work Tommy Jones and Duval in there somewhere.
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

I'd have to say that Trie Grit the movie followed the book pretty closely. In fact, much of the dialog was lifte straight from the book.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Image Image
UNITE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Next thing you know they'll try to re-write the Bible... oh never mind.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Doc Hudson wrote:What a shame!

Are you kidding?? There ain't such an animal 'cause they're all liberal wienies!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

TRUE GRIT was first serialized in the Saturday Evening Post, back when I was a kid. My grandmother had a subscription, and I remember reading the story in its installments. Couldn't wait for the next issue...

Several of the vignette illustrations accompanying the tale pre-saged the Duke's appearance in the movie.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I watched True Grit again this weekend. While Glen Cambell was far from great he rates about 10 times higher than that girl they had in there. I realize they wanted annoying but taking it so far as to make the movie almost unwatchable was a little much.

As for the new movie only time will tell. Experience leads me to believe that it will be unwatchable too. Remakes always are. I tried watching the remake of Angel and the Badman this weekend. I kinda like both Lou Diamond Philips and Luke Perry and had serious issues with the original movie so I didn't figure they could do it much harm. I was wrong. I turned it off 1/2 hour in.

They never have made a bearable remake of Stagecoach and the Red River remake was bad too. 3:10 to Yuma remake was a joke. Shall I go on............. :lol:

LK
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I know that many in Hollywood don't think that John Wayne was much of an actor. I happen to like his acting and his movies. I am not planning on seeing another re-make of one of his movies. In the best Westerns I remember seeing, the violence was there as part of the story, not as the whole story. It was not gratituitous. If the acting and the plot cannot carry the movie without throwing in violence like Mike Tyson throws punches, then it isn't worth seeing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

piller wrote:I know that many in Hollywood don't think that John Wayne was much of an actor. I happen to like his acting and his movies.

Perhaps you've forgotten, but The Duke won an Academy Award for True Grit, his only win and I believe only his second nomination.

I agree, John Wayne was a helluva lot better actor than the critics would have us think.

Image Image
UNITE!
BruceB
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BruceB »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Here's who they got for Mattie Ross

Personally, I think Glen Cambell was the weakest, worst actor they could have found to play a toughman in a western, and I think he tainted the film. Surely, Damon will be able to play a better part, regardless of his politics.

I've never read the book, didn't even know it was taken from a book. For those of you who've read it, what's the difference? Will there be more shootin and violence than in the original movie? I like the Coen's work, I bet they'll do it justice. They just need to work Tommy Jones and Duval in there somewhere.
Mr. Duval was in the original as "Lucky" Ned Pepper.
GOD SAVE THE UNITED STATES!

Original member of Leverguns.com forum

NRA Life Member

Boy, what a mess them .45's make.

When seconds mean life or death, the police are only minutes away.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

BruceB wrote: Mr. Duval was in the original as "Lucky" Ned Pepper.
Yeah, it would be cool to bring him back. Also get in Dennis Hopper before his cancer gets him.
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

For those that harumph that they won't even "see a remake," etc.--as others have said, it's not like all of the original Grit (and others') casting was stellar. And pray tell what are you suggesting we all watch (of "new" western material) out there? Yuma wasn't a stellar piece either, but far from garbage...but it was a worthwhile (re)yarn. The lighting (low angle/winter?) was a little dark, and especially the dumb*** wienie (aaarrghh!) main "good guy" character was afflicted with terrible badjudgmentitis, but it was an enterntaining movie - worthy at least of a rental. Heck yeah I'd see Bridges and Damon. Why not - even if for curiosity alone? Yes, Campbell was really bad (and he's even said so), but a great song. Hope they use him again at least for that!

Don't mean to hijack to another movie, but on the record, Appaloosa movie was a great, plodding disapppointment--had such promise. Ironic in that Ed Harris really seemed to revel in the detail; just forgot to tell a decent yarn! Sure had enough film time to do it better. End of rant.

+1 on bring Duvall and a few others back--whether in Grit or something else--before they can't do this stuff anymore.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Can anyone think of any remake that was better than the original?

I always thought Cary Grant was great in An Affair to Remember (one of my wife's favorite tear jerkers) but then I saw the original, Love Affair, which I thought was even better. And that remake was done by the same director as the original! Charles Boyer puts Cary Grant to shame.

I don't know why it should be, but I can't think of a single remake that was better than the original (not counting silent films). Perhaps in the old days, the filmcraft was so primitive that the actors actually had to act, to compensate. These days, just throw in a lot of special effects.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Good points. I can't even think of m(any) sequels. I know a lot of people that will beat their chests about Godfather II, but to me "I" was #1.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Marion Morrison was a wonderful actor. He played one of our favorite characters - John Wayne - in every movie.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

deerwhacker444 wrote:That's what they're sayin, although I could do With Out Matt Damon..!

True Grit
+1 Is Matt playing the part of Mattie??? :lol:
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

I don't think the Duke was the best actor, but he was without a doubt the greatest actor of all time, no one else even comes close as they say he's got the stats. As he always said he didn't act he just played himself and isn't that what we all wanted.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I agree that it would be best to find a good actor but what do his personal philosophies have to do with acting skills for this roll?
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

gak wrote:Good points. I can't even think of m(any) sequels. I know a lot of people that will beat their chests about Godfather II, but to me "I" was #1.
Rooster Cogburn and the Lady was pretty darned good IMO. Kate Hepburn and The Duke struck some mighty fine sparks from each other even if both were past 70 at the time.

Otherwise, I can't disagree to strenuously about sequels.

Image Image
UNITE!
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

2571 wrote:

I agree that it would be best to find a good actor but what do his personal philosophies have to do with acting skills for this roll?
I just hate to spend money that will support liberal wienies when I can avoid it by staying home.

For example, I don't watch anything with Barbara Streisand or Hanoi Jane Fonda, or Sean Penn.

They might be great actors, but I detest their politics and don't wish to put money in their pockets, or add to their fame/infamy.

FWIW, the only Hanoi Jane show I'd watch would be a live TV broadcast of her execution for treason.

Image Image
UNITE!
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Two of the worst remakes in my interest sphere were "Gone In Sixty Seconds", and "Vanishing Point". I won't even comment how bad they were. Well, yes I will! GISS (1) was filmed with REAL cars, no CGI, real people, (non actor extras) and for the most part, played much better for me. Yes, I know some of the acting was atrocious, but you watched the film for the realtime driving more than the script. GISS (2) was cut, slicked up and CGI'd to perfection. Boring, Boring!
VP had no GCI and everything was done in real time with real cars and real actors. Changing the lead character from a pill popping ex cop, ex race driver, loser, to a sweet young man trying to get to his wife, changed the whole concept of the film, in my opinion.
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

Doc, I gotta disagree with you on one thing, Jane Fonda was never a great actress. You can make a case for the other two but Hanoi Jane would have never broke into the business had it not been for her last name. As for a remake of True Grit, I'd support almost any western that comes out because I wish there were more of them made. If Hollywood would put out some good ones instead of junk like Hot-Tub Timemachine maybe our children would watch'em and ask for a levergun for Christmas instead of a X-Box 360 and a I-pod . Rant over. :D .....Dave
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I will certainly see the new version of True Grit, but I hope it matains the dialog as it has a ring of period speech. I think Bridges can pull it off, but I would like to see Boss Spears in that role.

Like others I first read True Grit when it appeared serial in the Saturday evening post. It was not published in book form until later.

Saturday Evening Post, published a number of books that were later made into good movies. The Horatio Hornblower sea adventures and The Unforgiven. The later was another Western made into a 1960 movies with Lancaster and Audie Murphy.

Wayne was way under rated as an actor. He produced some fine work. His 1956 "The Searchers" was the very best and was his favorite as well. The character he played was very complex in spite of his superficial toughness. He was a man with deamons, but you never met them face to face.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

DDdDave,

I said they 'might be great actors." I [didn't say size=200]I[/size] thought they were great actors.

I agree with you about Hanoi Jane and her brother Peter too. As for Sean Penn, I don't know how that ugly little bugger ever got on screen in the first place.

Image Image
UNITE!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

I don't think that Tom Selleck is a liberal wienie and I do think he's a pretty convincing actor. :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Marion Morrison was a wonderful actor. He played one of our favorite characters - John Wayne - in every movie.
Having met him on a coupla occasions, & then interviewed with the Man for a job... I can honestly say, truer words were never spoken. A helluva man, acting wasn't involved.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Griff wrote:
Old Savage wrote:Marion Morrison was a wonderful actor. He played one of our favorite characters - John Wayne - in every movie.
Having met him on a coupla occasions, & then interviewed with the Man for a job... I can honestly say, truer words were never spoken. A helluva man, acting wasn't involved.
Griff,
You are my hero ...... sigh ..... you met my other hero :wink:

The closest I got to Wayne was in 1970 when I made a trip to Old Tuscon when he was filming Rio Lobo. I got to watch them film the part where he limps to the gal who just shot the bad sheriff. After that he handed his rifle to the prop guy and walked over to a table sat down and continued his chess game with someone.

I always dreamed of meeting him in person. Never did.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Batman1939 wrote:I don't think that Tom Selleck is a liberal wienie and I do think he's a pretty convincing actor. :)
IMNSHO, Tom Selleck and Robert Duval are the two best actors in Western Movies now working!

Image Image
UNITE!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Doc Hudson wrote:
Batman1939 wrote:I don't think that Tom Selleck is a liberal wienie and I do think he's a pretty convincing actor. :)
IMNSHO, Tom Selleck and Robert Duval are the two best actors in Western Movies now working!
My wife vehemently disagrees with you. She figures that when Tom Selleck grows up, he might be as good as Sam Elliot. She holds about as much hope for Tom "growin' up", as she does for me.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!