Best method to strip a Browning stock?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Best method to strip a Browning stock?

Post by Warhawk »

I've finally found a reasonably priced Browning BSS, one of the reasons it is priced like it is ... the epoxy finish on the stock has numerous dings. Since I prefer an oil finish anyway, this epoxy stuff will have to go. I didn't have enough cash on me to buy it outright, so I put some money down on it and will pick it up in a couple of weeks.

What has worked to strip this epoxy finish?
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Best method to strip a Browning stock?

Post by gak »

This page copied a little oddly for me--including your post in it, but it works: check out one of the Oct 29 responses.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/searc ... mit=Search
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

You could try Bio-Safe 1025 from Socar Chemical Co., near Greenville, SC. A distributor, with some products sheets on line is http://www.fiber-tensioners.com/BIO-SAFE1025specs.htm. The manufacturer itself (Socar) is at 2609 Rutherford Rd, Greenville, SC 29609-6954, Phone: (864) 244-5068.

Their head chemist, Dave Wampole is a former pro bass tour competitive fisherman, a sportsman, so I believe he can advise you about use of Bio-Safe 1025 on gun-stock wood (if you can catch him - he's a busy man!)
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

I've used Jasco remover with good results.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

About 15 years ago I refinished my Browning Shotgun stock. "Zip Strip" took the old finish off perfectly. Not sure if that product is made any longer, but it worked!
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Warhawk -- I'll toss a vote in for Jasco. Might take a couple applications. With careful scraping and a rub-down with a green scrubbie saturated with it in places like the tang area, you should have very little sanding to do. Protect your eyes and skin. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

claybob86 wrote:I've used Jasco remover with good results.
Wind wrote:Hey there Warhawk -- I'll toss a vote in for Jasco. Might take a couple applications. With careful scraping and a rub-down with a green scrubbie saturated with it in places like the tang area, you should have very little sanding to do. Protect your eyes and skin. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind
Yep, that's what I used on mine and it was fairly painless once I got the hang of it. Definitely use hand and eye protection. This stuff is really caustic on bair skin.
Old Law Dawg
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

JASCO stripper in the gold can. Lay it on thick. Enclose it with a black plastic bag or bin liner, and sit it in the sun for an hour.
Scrape off with a plasic scraper.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Thanks, I was hoping to hear from folks who had been there and done that.

Jasco it is.