Best sights for Rossi 92 for least amount of $$

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Best sights for Rossi 92 for least amount of $$

Post by Joel »

I shot the .44 today to test out my awesome gunsmithing job on the loose mag-tube. The tube stayed put, gun fed well, but the sights are way off. It shot a sub 6 inch group @ 100 yds, but was 15 inches high and 9 to the left, no adjustment left to make. Very pleased with the accuracy, especially considering I shot with my elbows resting on a bench, factory win 240 grain sftpnts.

I'd like to take a deer within 100yds with this gun, so I want better sights, but don't have much $$$.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Best sights for Rossi 92 for least amount of $$

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's some pics of sights I like - for the least cost, consider the MARBLES BULLSEYS (Under $20) - you'll need a scrap of aluminum can shim or to peen the dovetail a bit since the Rossi dovetails are a tiny bit lighter than the standard U.S. ones. No big deal.

Here's the LINK with LOTS of sight pictures >>>----> http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20342

For hunting and practical use the Marbles Bullseye is FAST and obstructs the least view of any sight I've seen. I've shot 1" 3-shot groups at 50 yards with it, and I'm no great shot. It's slow to 'sight-in' just like the factory original, but definitely a nice, simple, rugged sight.

Marble's Bullseye Rear Sight 1-7/8"
with Double Step Elevator .338 to .535 Height Blue
Product #: 317428| Manufacturer #: 006950
$15.79

(Currently MidwayUSA lists them 'out of stock' but Brownell's usually has them as well. I think they call them the 'short' model on Brownell's instead of listing measurements.)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Joel,

Yes, my new Rossi 92 .454 Casull + .45 Colt shot about 7-8" high at 50 yds, out of the box. That was with the rear sight all the way down (slide to the rear). That means the front sight needs to be taller or the rear sight needs to go down still more.

Mine also shot a bit to the left, but not as bad as yours. That YOU CAN FIX however, by "drifting" the front sight to the left on the barrel or the rear sight to the right. Get a punch and hammer and start drifting!

As for the shooting high, I bought a front and rear sight set from Steve Young of Steve's Gunz (he's a forum member here, if you haven't heard of him). I am thinking that Steve knows this problem and probably shipped me a taller front sight. I haven't got around to fitting them yet.

Steve may notice your post and weigh in....
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

There's a great thread on Rossi 92 sights, with loads of pictures, right here:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=22309

My 16" .45 Colt shot way high with factory duplication loads. I went with the Marble Folding Sporting Rear Sight No. 95, Brownell's Stock No. 579-000-082 and the Marbles 50W front sight, Brownells, part # 579-105-031. The latter is a .500 tall front sight, with a 1/16" gold bead and the oddball dovetail base that fits these rifles. Yours might need a different front sight to make it zero.

tBoth sights will set you back about $30 bucks.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Joel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Joel »

Wow, lots of info. I have some old Redfield peep sights at my dads somewhere, wonder if those would work?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joel wrote:Wow, lots of info. I have some old Redfield peep sights at my dads somewhere, wonder if those would work?
You might even have the right base...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson