Picked up an oldie but a goodie today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Picked up an oldie but a goodie today

Post by jeepnik »

When I ws a kid I had a Remington Nylon 66. I gave it away when I went into the service, and have regreted it ever since. Eleven days ago, I found one that is in amazingly good shape at a new/old shop (the old King's Gun Works is gone, but King's Gun Armoury has risen in it's place). This is jus a quick shot I took when I got it home, it doesn't do it justice.

The only thing "wrong" is that the stock has dulled over the years. I need to find a way to shine it up. The chrome is in fantastic shape, and the bore is immaculate.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Picked up an oldie but a goodie today

Post by vancelw »

I remember those well. Never had one myself, though.

My aunt bought one similar for my uncle for Christmas one year. When he opened the present, the gun was a lever action!

I'll see if he will let me take a photo and post it. I've never seen one before.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I remember the leveguns. They also made a clip loaded .22 semi auto, and I believe even a bolt action. They'd make for an interesting collection what with the different models and "color" schemes. Me, I bought it to shoot, that's what they were made for.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:mrgreen: That one was my favorite as young' un. Remington Nylon 66 "Apache Black". Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Neat little rifle. You may be able to shine up the stock with a polish I have seen in automotive stores used to clear plastic lenses on car headlights. It is a very fine rubbing compound. It is worth a try.
Once upon a time I remember an add for those rifles with a fellow standing on a huge pile of 2x4 blocks that he claimed he shot without any problems or cleaning of the rifle.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I still have a model 12 nylon bolt action that I've had since about 16 and a lever action nylon 76 since I was 18. The bolt gun is phenomenally accurate, the lever action is pretty good too. At one time I was making an attempt to own every kind produced. The others were traded, sold or given away. The two I still have aren't in any hurry to leave. You can still find the bolts at reasonable prices(and if they aren't beat up are pretty good value, IMO), sometimes the autos(the ones that aren't beat) but the levers have gone out of sight.

I had a chance at a lever action that was clip fed but I was about a week short on cash about a year after I got the normal 76, I missed it. Never seen another one of those, not even on gunbroker, I hesitate to even guess it's value now.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I just thought of something else that might shine up the plastic. Toothpaste, I have used it to shine plastics before ant it works pretty good. Regular white paste such as Colegate works well. It is after all a rubbing compound of sorts. The rifle will smell good too. :D Seriously it does work though.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The classic Nylon 66, in Apache Black no less. Very cool!

Just don't ever try to take the bolt apart. More gunsmiths have made a good living putting them back together. :wink: The most evil assembly Remington ever created. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

So this Nylon 66, what caliber/chambering is it? For that matter, what action type? I don't see a lever or a bolt handle....
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill_Rights wrote:So this Nylon 66, what caliber/chambering is it? For that matter, what action type? I don't see a lever or a bolt handle....
.22 lr. Tube fed semi auto. The mag tube is in the butt stock.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've still got my plain brown plastic stocked Nylon 66 from when I was 16. I need to take it out and shoot it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Rimfire,

Yours was called by Remington 'Mohawk Brown,' as I recall.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Just saw this a few hours ago. Interesting comment about foreign production.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=82072
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I used some Meguires (sp?) auto polish/scratch remover on mine, came out great.
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

Here's an excerpt from a Feb 2008 article in Guns Magazine by Holt Bodinson:

No greater tribute could be bestowed on any rifle than what it accomplished in the hands of Tom Frye, trick shooter and field representative for Remington. In 1959, to break Ad Topperwein's world record of hitting 72,500, 2-1/2" wooden blocks thrown into the air, Frye used three Model 66's to hit 100,004 wooden blocks out of 100,010 thrown. To do it, Frye shot 1,000 shots an hour, eight hours a day, for 13 consecutive days without one malfunction or misfire. That's rimfire reliability!

Bob in NE Indiana
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Got one just like it!.. Still puts most of 'em inside an inch @ 50, bulk Rem hollow points to boot..It doesn't look as nice as yours though... It spent a season on Salmon boat, back when there were lots of Salmon boats... Carried it in my Baja buggy too.. I don't the thing will ever quit.. Love the thing gouges & all...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
phc45-70
Levergunner 1.0

Post by phc45-70 »

I have always heard you shouldn't use regular gun type oils on one of these as over time it will cause the stock to break down and the stock is a intergral part of the workings. Rather you should use powdered graphite.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

There's some good memories with those guns. Ours was brown and the way I remember it was if you could see a can you could hit it. Didn't seem to matter to the 66 how far away it was. Countless boxes of ammo, countless smiles.
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

I have always like them since i seen the add with the guy shooting the wood blocks.My friend has the old book with the add in it.I have bought every one Ive seen for sale over the years..
Thats a new bolt handle in the bag behind the second one from the left.
The green one is a rare one..

JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

A Classic,very nice---------------well done, Congrats!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

A Nylon 66 in Mohawk Brown was the first .22 I ever shot. IIRC there was a time after Tom Frye shot all those wood blocks that anyone who bought a Nylon 66 could also send proof of purchase to the factory and get one of the wooded blocks with the bullet hole in it.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I wanted a Nylon 66 when I was a kid. But there never was enough funds to get it. I ended up with an ancient Savage bolt action .22 that locked up with CCI Mini Mags :evil: .
Now you never see the Nylon 66's. Well, I did see one at a gun show several years ago, but by the time I got my wallet out it was being sold.
Oh well.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

jeepnik wrote:When I ws a kid I had a Remington Nylon 66. I gave it away when I went into the service, and have regreted it ever since. Eleven days ago, I found one that is in amazingly good shape at a new/old shop (the old King's Gun Works is gone, but King's Gun Armoury has risen in it's place). This is jus a quick shot I took when I got it home, it doesn't do it justice.

The only thing "wrong" is that the stock has dulled over the years. I need to find a way to shine it up. The chrome is in fantastic shape, and the bore is immaculate.

Very nice, I've always liked the Nylon 66. Great find !!

JT
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Never had the opportunity to own one, but have wanted one since I was a kid, a buddy I grew up with had one just like yours, a superb rifle. I wanted the Mohawk Brown model, found one a few years ago at Cabelas in St. Louis, looked new. Carried it around for a bit then decided the $300.00 price tag was too steep. Put it back in the rack and went about my business. Thought to myself a bit later saying Ed you have looked for one of those for years go get it. Course you know that by the time I got back, It was GONE!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Another post of mine deleted? :roll:

I said: I thought the old ads for them were cool. The Eskimos that took them out in the freezing salt ice and shot seals with them.....

Was that so bad? :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

The first gun I bought with my own money was a Nylon 66 that I bought at Kmart 40 years ago. It is sitting in my gun safe.

In those 40 years I have never had a jam or failure to fire, except from defective ammo, even after going years between cleanings. When I did clean it, I was amazed at all of the gunk in it. All of that gunk just seemed to act as a dry lubricant. It is the only semi-auto rimfire I own so I can't compare it to other semi-autos, but from reading over at RimFireCentral.com other folks complain about their semi-autos being picky about ammo. My Nylon 66 will function with anything I feed it (except CB's)

Accurate enough for a plinker, but the stamped steel receiver cover doesn't make a stable mount for a scope for long distance or target use.

Jeepnik, mine is the basic brown model. They had the black and chrome model that cost something like $10 more when I bought mine but I was either too cheap or too broke (I don't remember which) to spend the extra ten bucks. Of course I kick myself now for not buying the shiny one! :evil:
Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! P Henry

When the Government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the Government, there is tyranny.T Jefferson