peep sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

peep sights

Post by dbateman »

ok so the post about d&t your own holes got me thinkin who makes the best peep sight in iyho and why?layman willams redfield others. I have only used willams on my win 94 in 45lc & 30-30 i do need a sight for my win 94 bb 375 and one for my lithgow no1 mk 111 in 303/25 so who makes the all time best sight ?
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Aussie Chris
Levergunner 2.0

Re: peep sights

Post by Aussie Chris »

dbateman, I think it may just be personal preference and what you feel comfortable with. I have a Lyman on my first rifle I bought when I was 18. It works quite well no dramas.

I put a Williams on another 94 of mine and it works just as good. I think the finish of the Williams is a little better and it just seems less fidgety than the Lyman. They are both 'new' types produced in the last 5 years or so. I have noticed that some of the different parts of the Lyman (which I purchased new from Lyman) have a purple tinge to them, not unlike a crappy reblueing job.
I don't have any other experience with peeps other than the Wilson Combat Ghost rings on my Rem 7615 pump.

Have fun with your search and let us know how you go.

Chris
A man can never have too many WINCHESTERS...
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

dbateman wrote:ok so the post about d&t your own holes got me thinkin who makes the best peep sight in iyho and why?layman willams redfield others. I have only used willams on my win 94 in 45lc & 30-30 i do need a sight for my win 94 bb 375 and one for my lithgow no1 mk 111 in 303/25 so who makes the all time best sight ?
My opinion is Lyman, the old steel ones are the best all time receiver sights. However I've used Williams for almost 40 years with excellent performance. And I've got a couple of the newer Lyman aluminum sights in my parts box that are perfectly good sights.
Redfield is out of business as far as receiver sights goes, but if you can find one they are nice sights.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Lyman made a sight for the 94BB, but Williams did / does.

Lyman has it's quick elevation adjustment feature, and Williams has the fool proof feature, each has it's place.
On my .45 Colt lever guns I prefer the Lyman 66 because of the trajectory. It's easier to change the sight than guess.
On the 30-30s I prefer the Williams FP because once I get it sighted in for the load I use I never change them. They are locked down and never move.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The Redfield 70/75 series were/are the best receiver sights ever made. Unfortunately you will pay dearly for mint ones.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

OK, receiver peeps...

BTW, Joe Hulett is a great guy who makes apertures for just about any peep sight
http://aperturesnmore.com/
Last edited by bdhold on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, it depends on whether you're talking about readily available or of all time...

1 - Redfield
2 - STEEL Lyman
3 - Williams Foolproof
4 - Aluminum Lyman (what they make now)
5 - Williams 5D
6 - Williams Guide Receiver Sight
7 - Ashley/XS

I think the tang sights are a design that the makers left behind for a reason. They really are the only choice for some guns such as the 1873 and 1876 Winchesters or Winchester's Models 1890, 62 and 06 (1906). Some might be called tang sights but are more receiver sights, such as those for Savage 1999 or Remington Models 14, 14R, 14½, 25, etc. Tang sights seem most appropriate for the light recoiling rimfires.

I have seen exactly 2 Pacific sights but both were of good quality and there are others that were made for specific applications such as for bolt action cocking piece installation that are good but... well... of limited utility and not really applicable to leverguns.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

The best receiver sight ever made was the Lyman 48, but it was only made for bolt guns. The Lyman 66 and 57 were also good sights for hunters. Redfield made receiver sights that would go toe to toe with the Lyman with the 70 and 80 series sights. I also have a fondness for the Redfield 102 which was an all steel non-micro adjustable sight. They are great sights for lever guns. Once set, they stay set. I have them on four of my leverguns. Pacific also made some very good sights in their day.

I don't have any alloy sights, but hunt up steel ones, even though I may have to pay more than the price of a new alloy sights.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[i do need a sight for my win 94 bb 375]

IIRC, Williams makes the only side-mount receiver peep sight for a BB94's receiver bulge, the FP-94/375.

ByronG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ByronG »

Why wouldn't you go for one of your home grown SMLE sights for the Lithgow such as a Central or Rawson? There is also the Parker Hale 5A.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Moynihan
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I think it depends on the model being outfitted and the application.

I really like the Marbles tang sights for example - for that application, I think they're the pip.

For receiver moutned - side mount, Redfields.

For "modern, ghost ring" - XS and Skinner.

Williams makes a good sight for the money - kinda like Lee loading and casting equipment.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

bulldog1935 wrote:OK, receiver peeps...

BTW, Joe Hulett is a great guy who makes apertures for just about any peep sight
http://aperturesnmore.com/

I have done a ton of business, with Joe. He's first class and he will drill any size hole, in the aperture, you want. He also has mounting screws. Just email him with your requests.
Last edited by jdad on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Of the ones available new today, I like the Williams FP best.
Marbles for the tang sight for a hunting rifle.

Both are of good quality and will hold and repeat settings if needed. :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Hobie wrote:Well, it depends on whether you're talking about readily available or of all time...

1 - Redfield
2 - STEEL Lyman
3 - Williams Foolproof
4 - Aluminum Lyman (what they make now)
5 - Williams 5D
6 - Williams Guide Receiver Sight
7 - Ashley/XS

I think the tang sights are a design that the makers left behind for a reason. They really are the only choice for some guns such as the 1873 and 1876 Winchesters or Winchester's Models 1890, 62 and 06 (1906). Some might be called tang sights but are more receiver sights, such as those for Savage 1999 or Remington Models 14, 14R, 14½, 25, etc. Tang sights seem most appropriate for the light recoiling rimfires.

I have seen exactly 2 Pacific sights but both were of good quality and there are others that were made for specific applications such as for bolt action cocking piece installation that are good but... well... of limited utility and not really applicable to leverguns.
How's this for an obscure sight. :wink: It attaches to the 2 holes on the top back of the receiver normally used for a tang sight.

Last edited by jdad on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Wow jdad ,That is cool, never seen one before but have read about them. :D
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I have XS ghost rings (you can get threaded inserts), Williams and steel Lyman on my guns. I like the XS best by far. I managed to strip the gib lock screw on one of my Williams sights; didn't take much to do it either.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Best receiver peep I have got is an old Redfield I fitted on my Marlin 1895SS :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I too prefer the Redfields to all others. The Redfields, oddly enough, sell for less than the vintage Lymans, which is great for us. My favorite receiver sight is the Redfield Series 80 with target knobs, on my Marlin 39A (it's in my avatar). I have another Series 80 with hunter knobs in a box waiting for the right 1886 or 71 to put it on.

For nostalgia and cool factor, I really like the Lyman 21 and 38 sights. I have them on five rifles now, all takedowns. I have sort of discovered my "thing" for collecting old Winchesters. If I see a takedown with a Climin' Lyman on it, I have to own it. I'll have to get a family photo of these rifles some day.

I agree about the tang sights on the leverguns. They sure look good and are functional enough, but on a heavy recoil rifle they can be a pain in the eye :wink:. I also don't really feel comfortable if my thumb isn't wrapped around the rifle. I can shoot just fine that way, but it's not my preference.
jdad wrote: How's this for an obscure sight. :wink: It attaches to the 2 holes on the top back of the receiver normally used for a tang sight.
That's the same as the Redfield 102-J, so I guess they used the "Western" and "Redfield" names interchangably. That is a very cool sight.
Chad
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Western was early pre-Redfield. You're fortunate that Redfields are less expensive than Lyman's. Everywhere else in the country a Redfield brings a huge premium.
k8vf
Levergunner

Post by k8vf »

I have a Williams 5D on my 1972 Model 94 in 30-30.
In hindsight, I sure wish I had spent the extra for the Williams FoolProof.

It is a lot easier to adjust.

The 5D is fine, just tedious to adjust when you need to..

Yes, I know it is not adjusted often, but with a FoolProof you could set it up for multiple loads and just click away.

Not so, with the 5D.

I remove the peep insert and use it as a ghost ring. Much better in the dim light.

Mark
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The only peep I have used is the Skinner on my Guide Gun. It is more solid than the gun, simple, adjustable, and I like the idea of screwing the peep out to give yourself the Ghost Ring.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

jdad wrote:Western was early pre-Redfield. You're fortunate that Redfields are less expensive than Lyman's. Everywhere else in the country a Redfield brings a huge premium.
We may be talking about apples and oranges here, but when I look for a Lyman 48 or 66 vs a Redfield for my Winchesters, the Vintage Lyman's go well north of $100 on Ebay, while the Redfield 70/80s stay in the $50 to $80 range. Maybe it's an Ebay thing. Anyway, it suits me just fine.
Chad
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

71fan wrote:
jdad wrote:Western was early pre-Redfield. You're fortunate that Redfields are less expensive than Lyman's. Everywhere else in the country a Redfield brings a huge premium.
We may be talking about apples and oranges here, but when I look for a Lyman 48 or 66 vs a Redfield for my Winchesters, the Vintage Lyman's go well north of $100 on Ebay, while the Redfield 70/80s stay in the $50 to $80 range. Maybe it's an Ebay thing. Anyway, it suits me just fine.
Yes sir, the Lyman 48 or 56 will definitely bring big bucks compared to the Redfield.
ByronG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ByronG »

Charles wrote:The best receiver sight ever made was the Lyman 48......
Really? How about this sort of thing.

I think that you may need to qualify that claim. :D
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts."
Moynihan
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

wow some good responses there sorry for the post and run been flatout like a lizard drinkin at work the lithgow is a sporter in 303/25 it needs a bit of a spuse up but still a good rifle il give willams a call in a few weeks when im on night shift and get one on the way thanks guys dave
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.