My Home Made Rifle Holster

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GabbyHaze

My Home Made Rifle Holster

Post by GabbyHaze »

Hi Guys,
These are pictures of a project I've been working on. It's going to be a Rifle Holster that I can wear on my back like a backpack or quiver . I'm making this for my new Marlin Model 39A Lever Action 22 caliber Rifle ( when it comes in, it's still on back order ). It will allow me to carry the gun hands free on my back. I have a handicapped Hunting license that allows me to shoot from a stationary vehicle ( Like an ATV, Truck, or even my lawn tractor ) so this would allow me to have both hands free until I need the rifle. On days where I feel good enough to ride my motorcycle I will also be able to ride my bike to the shooting range.
It's not finished yet and I have some adjustments to make and some finish work to do, and I have to add the shoulder straps and buckles to it, but it will give you a good idea of where I'm going with it.

JT

Ok Guys,
I finished my Rifle Holster project today. I cut the straps and sewed them on, then I sewed on the brass buckles I bought and then made some belt holes.
I took these pictures to show how my Rifle Holster can be worn by itself or under a backpack.

JT

Worn by itself.

Worn Under a Backpack

[/b]
Hobie

Re: My Home Made Rifle Holster

Post by Hobie »

Very neat!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

cool.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Way cool. Just watch you only use guns with sturdy and compact front sights, since it could get bumped, or sat on, etc.

An older-style Ruger Mini-14 sight would be ideal in such a situation... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Actually, it came out looking good. God job.
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats very neat and I like it. Might be good to tape the muzzle up when you are out and about.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Great craftsmanship, but check your muzzle for mud if you sit down, by accident or on purpose. I don't like being negative, and finding fault is NOT something I do with any pleasure. I live in a rainy area, with sticky mud, and have fallen onto my south end a few times, which makes me think of such incidents.

Why not an closed-bottom rig? My wife and I have backpacks with integrated rifle sheaths, that are closed-bottom, and work well enough. www.eberlestock.com
Last edited by Rexster on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Thanks Guys,
I had a lot of fun making this rig.
The rifle that's in the picture is a Winchester 94 chambered for a 32 special. But I built it to fit a Marlin 39A-22LR. My neighbor larry has a Marlin 39A just like the one I have on order, so I used his as a template. I tried his Marlin 39A in my home made rifle holster and it fits prefect. ( Much better than the Winchester 94 fits ) I can't wait for my model 39A to come in.
Including all the materials it cost me about $12.00 and my time to make this rifle holster. :)

JT

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

fantastic....
thats a nice hobby!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Great job, you just saved yourself some serious money.

Legacy Sports Intl sells this one for leverguns HERE for $250.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

COSteve wrote:Great job, you just saved yourself some serious money.

Legacy Sports Intl sells this one for leverguns HERE for $250.

Holy stuff !!! $250.00, that's nuts. I bought a big chunk of cowhide ( enough to make 2 rifle holsters and a revolver holster or 2 ) for $20.00 at the Leather and fur shop downtown. The buckles I used were $1.06 ea. ( w/tax and I used 2 ) and the rivets I used were just pennies ea. Like I said it cost me about $12.00 or less to make mine !! WOW, I can't get over that price, I would never pay $250.00 for any holster. There's an *** for every toilet seat, but I ain't sitting on that one. :lol:
I've been making all my own holsters and knife sheaths for a while now. They might not be as pretty as some of the store bought ones, but they work fine and don't cost much. Plus I get a feeling of satisfaction by making my own. 8)
I don't have any leather tooling tools yet, but I think I'll get some in the future.
Thanks for showing me that site.

JT
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Gabby,

Very neat. I don't think I have the patience to make something so good-looking.

You musta missed my thread on this exact topic http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... t=scabbard.

I got a bunch of advice and have launched off on my own "Backscabbard" for a Rossi M92 20". I decided to go closed-end for the muzzle, for the reasons mentioned above. I also went with a design that slants diagonally across my back (there is a Ninrod Packs photo of a guy on a horse that shows that concept; scroll down 8-10 posts). To achieve that slant and avoid the dual shoulder straps, I am using the "baldrick" style sling (again, see photos way down on the thread). One point that several people made is that I want to add an attachment to a belt down near the muzzle, to hold the scabbard down when I draw the rifle quickly. I have incorporated that. You might see if you want to add a hold-down like that, once you see how your new rifle draws.

Cool scabbard. Great job. I can't do that well, so I am talking with a local saddlemaker to get him to do it for me.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Sweet. I like that!

And when you do something yourself, it makes it all that much more.

Congrats!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You did a great job Gabby. Now you know what a factory one costs you can go show your wife how much money you saved. :D
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Gabby that is really nice, I wish that I was that talented.
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

250 those guys are nuts, i make my living making saddles and gun leather and i would only charge 60 to 80 for something like that. Good leather ain't cheap anymore but that's hiway robbery. By the way good job the last one i made did have the closed bottom.
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Bill_Rights wrote:Gabby,

Very neat. I don't think I have the patience to make something so good-looking.

You musta missed my thread on this exact topic http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... t=scabbard.

I got a bunch of advice and have launched off on my own "Backscabbard" for a Rossi M92 20". I decided to go closed-end for the muzzle, for the reasons mentioned above. I also went with a design that slants diagonally across my back (there is a Ninrod Packs photo of a guy on a horse that shows that concept; scroll down 8-10 posts). To achieve that slant and avoid the dual shoulder straps, I am using the "baldrick" style sling (again, see photos way down on the thread). One point that several people made is that I want to add an attachment to a belt down near the muzzle, to hold the scabbard down when I draw the rifle quickly. I have incorporated that. You might see if you want to add a hold-down like that, once you see how your new rifle draws.

Cool scabbard. Great job. I can't do that well, so I am talking with a local saddlemaker to get him to do it for me.

Hi Bill,
I did miss that post and thank you for showing it to me, I'll check it out later.
Mine does slant, it's just hard to see in these pictures and I didn't have the straps cinched up tight, I just threw it on to take a couple pics.
As I mentioned I'm disabled. I walk with the help of a cane and I don't walk very far ( especially on un-even ground ) or for long periods of time. I mostly drive my truck out to the prairie and then walk out a bit and pick a spot to sit and wait for rabbit. I don't go hunting on rainy days or go ATVing through the mud. I just needed something to carry my gun so I could have my left hand free while walking out to the spot I choose to sit in. Heck, I don't even own an atv because my spine can't take the rocking motion. I have a progressive ( meaning it's gonna get worse ) Spine and Joint disease in which there is no cure. My spine and about 80% of the joints in my body swell up bad and are degererating pretty fast and cause a lot of pain. On days where feel good I try to do hobbies like this, but it takes me a long time to do them because of the pain and swelling in my spine and joints ( especially my hands ) and I have to keep stopping and waiting until I feel better to start again.
I have a motorcycle ( 1998 GL1500SE Goldwing ) but I don't ride it much, only on days when I feel up to it and I don't go very far. So I won't be riding in any rain storms or bad weather with my new rifle holster. I also going to have to get a trike kit for my bike because I won't be able to hold it up much longer.
I choose the open bottom because I can reach back with my left hand and push up on the barrel of the gun while lifting it out of the rifle holster with my right hand, I can't do that with a closed bottom holster. I think it will work out good for me.

336A says he wishes he had that kind of talent. 336A, it really doesn't take any talent to make one of these or a good pistol or rifle holster. It doesn't take a lot of leather working tools either. If I can do it, anyone can. Just get yourself some basic leather tools and some scrap leather and do a little practice and you'll be building your own holsters in no time flat. It really is easy and Youtube has lots of leather working videos you can learn from.

Hope you all have a Blessed weekend. Thanks for your kind comments.

JT
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

What is the barrel length of the Marlin 39?
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Looks great!
when your enemy is within range so are you
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

willygene wrote:250 those guys are nuts, i make my living making saddles and gun leather and i would only charge 60 to 80 for something like that. Good leather ain't cheap anymore but that's hiway robbery. By the way good job the last one i made did have the closed bottom.

you taking orders? :D
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Shades of Romancing the Stone. I like the idea, but wonder how easy it would be for someone with realtively short arms to draw the rifle.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

mescalero1 wrote:What is the barrel length of the Marlin 39?
I believe it's 24 inches. 8)

JT
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

jeepnik wrote:Shades of Romancing the Stone. I like the idea, but wonder how easy it would be for someone with realtively short arms to draw the rifle.

You can use your left hand to push up on the barrel while drawing it over your right shoulder with your right hand.

OR

You don't have to draw it over your shoulder. Because it's built like a backpack you can just slide it off and bring it around the front of you to draw if you feel you need to make a quick shot.

OR

You can buy one of these for $50.00 http://www.gunslingercorral.com/
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Very nice work! Now how about a picture of you flying down the highway on your goldwing with rifle in scabard! 8) :wink:
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

nemhed wrote:Very nice work! Now how about a picture of you flying down the highway on your goldwing with rifle in scabard! 8) :wink:

It's 30 degrees out with a chance of snow today. That will have to wait. But remind me in a couple months and I'll do it. :D

JT
GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Have you guys seen these Rifle Holsters yet? http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

JT