New To The Forum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

New To The Forum

Post by Martini450 »

Good Morning All!

I've been checking out this website for a bit, and finally figured out how to register, so here's my first post. Seems like a good bunch of folks here, and knowledgeable too.

A little background: I live in Virginia (born and raised), and have been a shooter since eleven years old, and have always gravitated to the old stuff. That's not to say there isn't some newer stuff in my cabinet (I've got a weakness for Lugers, for example; must be the toggle action!), but pre-1900 is where my heart lies. As far as my lever action collection goes, I have an Uberti '73 w/30" barrel in 44-40, an Uberti 1876 w/28" barrel in 45-75, and my most valued firearm, dad's old model '94 30-30 carbine (a gift from mom in '57).

Other old or old style guns in my collection include a Pedersoli Sharps in 45-120 (they didn't have a 45-110 at the time), Cimarron Artillery Colt 1873 in 45 Colt, Enfield Martini Henry marked 1882, in 577-450, Uberti Colt Walker, and a Pedersoli Brown Bess (a birthday gift from a my gracious wife).

I am the father of one year old twin baby boys, so I'm really looking forward to the years ahead, introducing them to shooting and the old ways. Kind of makes it all seem new again. Anyway, thanks for letting me go on, and I look forward to participating!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Re: New To The Forum

Post by nemhed »

Welcome to the fire! There's plenty to learn here and it sounds like you'll fit right in.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Martini450,

Welcome to the forum.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Welcome,... dismount and set a spell. There's some grain in that bucket by the picket line and coffee hot on the firestone.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Welcome! What part of Va ya from? Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Welcome.......I hang out here because I can tap into some of the best minds in the gun world. This place is invaluable to me. Be sure to check out the classifieds. Friends, and Men of honor do business there.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm from Fairfax, but with a disclaimer. My family hailed from Frederick County, northwest of Winchester, and Loudoun County, since 1761, so I'm always afraid of being misunderstood to be a non-Virginian from Fairfax.

Any other Virginians on the forum, and if so, do you all attend the gun shows in Chantilly?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the fire. Congratulations on the twins, looks like you'll have a few more guns to buy. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

We need more Va folkx here, but I wounder how far you are from Ruin???
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Thanks on the congrats about my twins; they're really great little guys. Since you mention it, the Uberti '76 I mentioned was bought as a celebration of their arrival. I'm depending on this forum to help show my wife the wisdom of adding a L'il Sharps in .22 Long Rifle to the collection. How are my boys supposed to get along without one?
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

A very warm welcome to you :D
You will enjoy it here :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Colo Native, never heard of Ruin, Virginia; where is it? Fairfax is up north, right outside of DC.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Welcome from the great white north.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! Great plan on introducing your kids to shooting. We all need to do so to ensure the survival of our Second Amendment rights. My kids (boy, known here as "Y2K", is 11 and daughter, 7) both love to shoot! :D :D :D
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Welcome! I'm a desert boy now but grew up in Fairfax! (3-8 or 1957-62, my first memories). We spent weekends roaming the fields and woods of the famous Bull Run/Manassas battlefield. Glad to have another Virginian on board!
Last edited by gak on Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Welcome Martini450 !!
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Welcome friend, a man of taste is amongst us at last :lol:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Martini450 wrote:Colo Native, never heard of Ruin, Virginia; where is it? Fairfax is up north, right outside of DC.
Ruin is where we're all going! :lol: dang Mike!! :lol:

Welcome from Staunton, VA...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Welcome grab a stump and relax. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I was born in Newport News, lived in Norfolk,Richmond, Chesapeake,Charlottsville, and went to James Wood(winchester) High for a year so we stomped some of the same areas. Now live in Pennsylvania with detours of Montana, Maine,Tennesee, and Ohio. Still have family in Northern Occupied Va. Welcome again. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Welcome to the forum. I lived in Fairfax for a few years('75-'90). I still have friends in the area. That entire area has changed incredibly since 1990.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Welcome Martini450,
Take a seat and relax.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Welcome, sounds like a nice collection you got there! We had a Va, WV, ?? shoot outside of Roanoke a few years back, maybe we can get another one.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Welcome to the forum.
Old Law Dawg
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

welcome to the fire. hope you enjoy.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Doc... everyplace
dr walker wrote:...has changed incredibly since 1990.
Martini450,
Welcome to The Forum. One word to the wise... many of us are visually challenged and motivated... we NEED pictures!

Congrats on the twins... (the Doc scared the bejeebers outta me in the delivery room tellin' me that's what I was gettin', glad someone else got 'em!)

Ah, Ruin... lookin' forward to it.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Well, I can definitely tell this is a good bunch of folks by reading all the posts. With regards to posting pictures, can regular jpeg photos be posted? There are a couple of threads going on right now that I'd really like to post photos to.

Thanks Griff, we're pretty pleased with the little guys. The doctor told us seven months before they were born that we had a double header on the way. How old are yours?
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

howdy!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

colo native wrote: but I wounder how far you are from Ruin???

dang it. must have been asleep at the switch. hobie beat me to the punch[line]. :shock:

[we're all on the road to ruin.] :D

welcome home.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Ruin is (waz) a range where we had a social club, Not like the Cheyene Social Club, that once a month 20 or 30 old folkx got together and shot a type of cowboy match. Unlike Sass, we shot saa's from 7 to 50 yds, lever type pistol cat from 20 to 100 yds, and shotguns at 20 or so yds, usually 6 stages on the cllock, and a good time by all was had.
In late 09 the owner of the range passed so we disbanded.
Every body had a hand in running the matches, and yearly had a Big match, where we had prizes from firearms to cleaning patches..
Sure do miss this, I hear that one of the members is going to have a match like this at Cav rifle and pistol club..
Any the road to Ruin leads to my house now... Waynesboro...
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Welcome to a great place with some great people.
It is not the critic who counts
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Martini450 wrote:With regards to posting pictures, can regular jpeg photos be posted? There are a couple of threads going on right now that I'd really like to post photos to.
Yep. There is a function on the lower part of the "post" screen that allows smaller JPG's to be posted directly from your computer, and with a place like Photobucket.com, you can post most anything (it's free, too).

If you have problems, let us know, and we'll walk you through it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Martini450 wrote:Well, I can definitely tell this is a good bunch of folks by reading all the posts. With regards to posting pictures, can regular jpeg photos be posted? There are a couple of threads going on right now that I'd really like to post photos to.
You can use the "upload attachment" section under the reply; or use a photo hosting site such as Photobucket to link to via the "Img" button.
Thanks Griff, we're pretty pleased with the little guys. The doctor told us seven months before they were born that we had a double header on the way. How old are yours?
The doc was wrong in my case... tho' since my favorite gal can't have more, I'd have been real pleased for him to be right. And, he'll be 32 this June. :D :D :D :D :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Yo! 'Nother Virginian here! You said:
Any other Virginians on the forum, and if so, do you all attend the gun shows in Chantilly?
I'm close, in Annandale. Yes, I do go to Chantilly gun show sometimes :P . Why you ask?

About posting photos, yes, .JPGs are fine, and I highly recommending opening a free account over at http://www.photobucket.com and uploading the .JPGs to there first. It's free. Easy to upload stuff there, re-size it, etc. Then you copy and paste the "Direct" URL link from photobucket into the "Img" braces from the tool bar above the composition window. Mess around with it, and if you have any trouble, ask back.