OT woodworkers help please... rifle wall hangers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

OT woodworkers help please... rifle wall hangers

Post by Topside »

Howdy. I'd like to make some hangers for hanging some rifles on the wall above the fireplace. I'm pretty good with tools, but I'm no great woodworker. I'm thinking of making something sort of Y-shaped. I'd take a disk sander to the back side that will go against the wall, drill holes for screws or nails and put'em up. One under the trigger area, and one under the barrel. The wood I'm thinking of using is rhododendron since I can get at an unlimited supply in the NC mountains. Also, I think it's what my Dad used years ago to hang some old mussleloaders he had.

Would any of you all have pictures or ideas for making these you can point me to? If you have a better idea than mine, I'll be glad to benefit from your experience! Later, once I have a few started I'll worry about whether to put a finish on them.

Thanks for help.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT woodworkers help please... rifle wall hangers

Post by mescalero1 »

Make a backing board,
put the rifle on the board to orient,
mark for the pegs,
I like to burn the backing board for a " look "
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Be careful when hanging your rifles over the fireplace if you have woring/real fires in the fireplace. The heat wafting up from the fireplace will dry out the wood on the rifles making it prone to shrinkage, spliting, etc.. Place a small vase of water on the mantel off to the side so as to humidify/dampen the air in the area over the fireplace. Don't worry, it won't cause any rusting of the rifles or other metals near the fireplace. It'll release just enough moisture into the atmosphere to prevent drying out of the wood. Of course it neve hurts to wipe the dust from a rifle out in the open and then wipe it down with a lightly, oiled, flannel rag.

Same goes for wood stoves. For you guys/gals that use them, place a pitcher of water on top of the stove and it will humidify your house preventing dry wood.
ED
Yer never too old
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Mesc and Modoc, thanks for your thoughts. Below is what I'm working with. Wanting to get rid of the pegs these are on and try to make purdier hangers out of the rhododendron and also hang my two Marlins too. Unfortunately, this fireplace gets little use.

T.

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Topside wrote:Mesc and Modoc, thanks for your thoughts. Below is what I'm working with. Wanting to get rid of the pegs these are on and try to make purdier hangers out of the rhododendron and also hang my two Marlins too. Unfortunately, this fireplace gets little use.

T.
Frankly, I see nothing wrong with the pegs. When you look at the rifles hung as they are, all your attention goes to the rifles. Hang them on fancy hooks, etc. and the attention may well shift to the hangers and not the rifles.

Nice looking rifles by the way.
ED
Yer never too old
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Thanks for the comments on the mussleloaders. I was thinking along the lines of this picture. I just cut this one in the yard. It's way too big, it ain't rhododendron and so on, but it's the general idea. If I can make some nice ones out of decent wood, put some sort of finish on them or some whittling, I'd use a few and maybe make a few for gifts for some friends. Now it's entirely possible I'd never see one up on a friend's wall, but what the heck, it's the thought right?

Thank you all for the comments and ideas.......

T
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

This is totally off topic, but you mentioned the rhododendron in the NC mountains. My Dad and I made walking sticks from rhododendron when on vacation in the Smokies about 35 years ago. His was pretty cool, mine not so much. Sure brings back memories, thanks!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

While This One has a box underneath, you could use the plans for the rack itself.

Here are some more plans that could be adapted for your needs.

Also, I made a small 3 gun rack to hold my rifles while I was working on them or cleaning them. I didn't use any plans, just made this out of scrap wood. I painted it because the wood was scarred up and not appealing.

Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Topside

Having a little trouble visualizing what you're thinking. But your branch reminds me of a couple of hooks I made from antler tines. I drilled thru and used a screw to attach them to the wall. The tine provided the hook that supports a gun or jacket. Not very elegant but useful.

Can you post a sketch of your idea?

Grizz
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Grizz wrote:Topside

Having a little trouble visualizing what you're thinking. But your branch reminds me of a couple of hooks I made from antler tines. I drilled thru and used a screw to attach them to the wall. The tine provided the hook that supports a gun or jacket. Not very elegant but useful.

Can you post a sketch of your idea?

Grizz
Yeah, if I had a piece of rhododendron, I could show you what I want to do. I'd use a Y-shaped branch. If I had a band saw, I'd lay the branch on its side and slice it to create a flat back side to go against the wall and I'd be in business. Having no bandsaw, I'll use a disk sander. Slower, but it'll get the job done. I'm probably doing similar to what you did with the antlers. IF I EVER GET A SET DONE, I'll put up a picture. Thanks.......T.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

COSteve wrote:While This One has a box underneath, you could use the plans for the rack itself.

Here are some more plans that could be adapted for your needs.

Also, I made a small 3 gun rack to hold my rifles while I was working on them or cleaning them. I didn't use any plans, just made this out of scrap wood. I painted it because the wood was scarred up and not appealing.

Thanks Steve, I'll keep the links for future plans....... T
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Veering slightly off topic, whatever happened to gun cabinets? When I was a kid, everyone had either a rack or a nice wood cabinet with glass doors. Sears and JC Penney had them in their catalogs, especially the Christmas catalogs. Alot of hardware stores sold them.

A couple of years ago I was looking for one, and they were very hard to find. The only ones I found were in Amish country, quite nice but a bit on the spendy side. And don't go to a gunshop looking for one. Apparently, if your guns aren't in a safe, you may as well set them by the mailbox.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Veering slightly off topic, whatever happened to gun cabinets?"
--Otto

Think theft.

I hate to say it, but in this day and age, the open storing of unsecured firearms either hanging on the wall or in firearms cabinet -- may not be the wisest thing to do. I know of several who had their firearms stolen. And in each and every case, they had their firearms laying around or hanging on the wall/fireplace. Sad state of affairs, but I think you will keep longer what is locked up and what people don't know you have.

Also, some states have laws prohibiting "easy access" to firearms ad other "safe storage" laws. In those states, if someone is injured because a firearm is not properly secured, the owner is liable.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I make mine out of 1" oak. Here are the pieces cut out (the area cut out in the left of the board is for a cable lock that hides behind the rifle).

... and here's the finished product .... (I put felt in the brackets so the gun rests on the felt) ..

and some more ...

Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Nice front stuffers, Topside.

Kirk, really like your hangers.
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I'm a redneck--20 penny nails work fine. Sometimes I feel the need to be high class so I wrap some tape around the nails.---------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Otto wrote:Veering slightly off topic, whatever happened to gun cabinets? When I was a kid, everyone had either a rack or a nice wood cabinet with glass doors. Sears and JC Penney had them in their catalogs, especially the Christmas catalogs. Alot of hardware stores sold them.

A couple of years ago I was looking for one, and they were very hard to find. The only ones I found were in Amish country, quite nice but a bit on the spendy side. And don't go to a gunshop looking for one. Apparently, if your guns aren't in a safe, you may as well set them by the mailbox.
Otto,
I have one ... in the garage. It's a home made one that would holds 16 rifles. Two big sliding glass doors. I'd be using it but there's no room in my house. I gotta pic of it somewhere.
Found it;
If'n you ever get to central IL and want it I'm sure we could work out a deal.

PS, sorry for the thread drift.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Topside...

Here are a couple of sources for you:

http://www.woodworkingcorner.com/gunrack.php

http://wayneofthewoods.com/gunrack.html

Good luck with your project! I hope you'll show us what you come up with.

With that name, are you a sailor?
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Topside,

If you're going to go "rustic", like with harvested rhodo "Y"s, you MAY NOT
take a disk sander to the back side that will go against the wall
Out of sheer decency you need to use a draw knife, broad axe or something equally antique!
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

KirkD wrote:I make mine out of 1" oak. Here are the pieces cut out (the area cut out in the left of the board is for a cable lock that hides behind the rifle).

... and here's the finished product .... (I put felt in the brackets so the gun rests on the felt) ..

and some more ...

Man! Those are great lookin Kirk.

T.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Bill_Rights wrote:Topside,

If you're going to go "rustic", like with harvested rhodo "Y"s, you MAY NOT
take a disk sander to the back side that will go against the wall
Out of sheer decency you need to use a draw knife, broad axe or something equally antique!
Bill, once I get'em flat on the back somehow, I'm gonna drag'em behind the truck a ways in your honor. That ought to "rusticize" them a bit.

Seriously, you are right. A draw knife could be good used with my vise and urethane pads. Might keep my eye open for the knife. Thanks.

T
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

mod71alaska wrote:Topside...

Here are a couple of sources for you:

http://www.woodworkingcorner.com/gunrack.php

http://wayneofthewoods.com/gunrack.html

Good luck with your project! I hope you'll show us what you come up with.

With that name, are you a sailor?
Mod......thanks for the links.......naw I'm not a sailor. Topside was what my Dad called our house in the NC mtns. It had a good view!

T
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

nemhed wrote:This is totally off topic, but you mentioned the rhododendron in the NC mountains. My Dad and I made walking sticks from rhododendron when on vacation in the Smokies about 35 years ago. His was pretty cool, mine not so much. Sure brings back memories, thanks!
Yep, you're probably aware the wood's used now for railings, gates, chairs and plenty of other stuff. I think they've gone a little overboard myself. Thanks.

T