Low noise & blast 45 Colt load

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rowley Sims
Levergunner

Low noise & blast 45 Colt load

Post by Rowley Sims »

I want to find a sweet and gentle powder charge using 250 gn. cast bullets for my 45 Colt 1873 16" Trapper for training a new shooter. Noise is the big factor here, but I'd need around 600fps. Don't have chrono facilities at the moment, and manuals don't help much at this low level. I mostly use Unique for my reloads at 800-1100 fps, but I don't think it's the right powder for mouse loads. Trail Boss looks good for my needs, but what's the right dose?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Low noise & blast 45 Colt load

Post by J Miller »

Rowley Sims,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest 7.1grs of Winchester 231 under a 250gr bullet. I have a 16" Trapper .45 Colt and from the Trapper that is a very mild load. It is a very accurate standard pressure load, but sound and recoil are all but non existent.
The only other load I've tried was 5.5grs of 231 with the 250gr bullet. This is a cowboy action load listed in the older (pre Hodgdon) Winchester load data books. It's never been an accurate load for me though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

This is revolver data so velocities will jump but should fit your needs. Have Fun, 1886. http://www.imrpowder.com/data/handgun/t ... eb2005.php
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Oh Yeah, WELCOME. 1886.
Rowley Sims
Levergunner

Post by Rowley Sims »

Thank you for your welcome!

I'll try the 231 load you recomend, Joe. Never used 231 for some reason. Next time I'm at the gunshop, I'll pick up a pound. What's your estimate of the velocity for this load from a 16" barrel?
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

J Miller wrote:Rowley Sims,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest 7.1grs of Winchester 231 under a 250gr bullet. I have a 16" Trapper .45 Colt and from the Trapper that is a very mild load. It is a very accurate standard pressure load, but sound and recoil are all but non existent.....

Joe
I'll second that...but it kinda scares me when I agree with Miller more than twice in three moons ;)
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Rowley Sims wrote:Thank you for your welcome!

I'll try the 231 load you recomend, Joe. Never used 231 for some reason. Next time I'm at the gunshop, I'll pick up a pound. What's your estimate of the velocity for this load from a 16" barrel?
This is just a SWAG but I'd say around 1100 or so fps. It's only 875 from a 5.5" test barrel.
Sarge wrote:
J Miller wrote:Rowley Sims,

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest 7.1grs of Winchester 231 under a 250gr bullet. I have a 16" Trapper .45 Colt and from the Trapper that is a very mild load. It is a very accurate standard pressure load, but sound and recoil are all but non existent.....

Joe
I'll second that...but it kinda scares me when I agree with Miller more than twice in three moons ;)
Sarge,
That's OK, it's the weather. The cold is affecting us all.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Get a 160 or 200 gr bullet and use a Trail Boss load that amounts to about 75% density and yer gonna be real happy. FWIW Hodgdon (IMR) says you can use 70% to 100% charge density of TB with ANY cartridge. A 75% density load will be a cat sneeze.
Certified gun nut
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Rowley Sims wrote:Thank you for your welcome!

Hey Rowley,

I have chrono'ed 7.2 of W231 & a MO Bullet's 250 RNFP from my 16" Rossi and got 950 fps and insignificant recoil.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009 ... ne-in.html

I later dropped to 7.1 grains because it shot a tad better from the Vaquero; I doubt that tenth of a grain cost me 25 fps from either gun.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Watch those small charges. Very easy to double-charge a case if your procedure is not perfect. That's the virtue of a powder like Trail Boss; impossible to double-charge.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I charge the case, LOOK inside it to confirm charge height, and then seat the bullet. Every time, regardless of the cartridge, load or powder.

One of the joys of reloading is economy, which means folks are going to use powders that produce the most reloads per pound. These loads are just as safe as any other provided proper precautions are taken during the loading process.
Rowley Sims
Levergunner

Post by Rowley Sims »

Sarge, your data on actual velocity from a 16"er is diamond! The point of the post was to get a low-blast, low noise load from someone who's done it! I've never used 231 or Trail Boss, so value your shared experiences of these powders. So far, I can't see any separation between the two, other than Trail Boss gets rid of the double-charge danger, as Paul says. But 231 is more economical. As far as I can see, both will give the same result for noise/blast if loaded to the same velocity.
If it was good yesterday, it'll be good today. If it's good today, it'll be good tomorrow.
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

I don't have a lot of experience with lots of powders but for my cat sneeze loads I settled on 3grs. of hogdgons titegroup with a 250gr cast bullet. It burns clean and works great. I used my 45colt 94 trapper and went as low as 2grs. of titegroup. The reason I use 3grs instead of two was because I was afraid of a stuck bullet eventually and the penetration qualities was reduced alot in phonebooks. 3grs was as quiet as a cap gun but was surprisingly powerful. According to Hogdgon, 5grs is a minimum load of titegroup with a 250gr cast bullet, testing was done with a 7.25 inch barrel and velocity was 716fps and pressures were 7600cups. I wish I had a chrony to give you some real numbers, I can guess but that wouldn't be of any use. One thing for sure is that 3grs of titegroup and a 250gr cast bullet will meet your requirements for a economical, low blast, low noise load. IF YOU TRY LOADS THIS LIGHT START AT THE MINIMUM LOAD AND WORK DOWN. Dave