Scabbard, for walking or hiking? NOT horse or ATV!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Scabbard, for walking or hiking? NOT horse or ATV!

Post by Bill_Rights »

PLEASE HELP WITH RECOMMENDATIONS and VENDOR LINKS:

Hey, I am having difficulty in finding a walking scabbard for my soon-to-arrive Rossi M92 levergun. As you know, most are designed for saddles or vehicles. What I want is one that I can wear like a backpack or, at least, sling over my shoulder. BUT, either way, I want it to be stiff enough and fastened well enough to my back or waist so that I can jerk the rifle out of the scabbard el quicko and and get it trained on target is 2 seconds or less.

Here are a couple I found available (one is a saddle scabbard, just to show the material I would want):

Image Image
Cheaper Than Dirt, Molle-250 Shotgun scabbard / Cabelas, Triple-K, saddle scabbard for lever rifle

The user reviews for the CTD one say it is too small/tight for even a ghost ring sight, much less a scope (I will not have a scope, but I might have a big, floppy Marble Arms BullsEye rear sight, http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html).

The Triple-K from Cabelas appears to be sized big enough for scope or bulky iron sights, but it is not a walking scabbard.

Some of our forum members have mentioned human-worn scabbards. Here are the cites to a couple of those:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... rd#p293932
Post subject: Re: .450 Marlin (or .45-70) loads for Cast Performance 460s ....... Posted: Fri Jan 08, 2010
Cosmoline said: The 94 is so incredibly packable. This Big Bore rides in my backpack scabbard easily and can be whipped out in a second--just like drawing a revolver.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... rd#p283259
Post subject: Re: 25-35 Trapping Gun ............................................ Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2009
76/444 said: Some back packs have a sleeve to get a nice short carbine out of your way when working traps or fences. Or, a shoulder/back scabbard works for me, on horseback.
(except I won't be on horseback)

So, anyone seen anything that would work for me, or am I going to have to design up something myself and pull out my awl and stitch something up myself?

By the way, I admire Glen Eberle's hunting backpack line of products (Eberlestock), BUT I don't want anything close to a full backpack. I also don't want to wear a Molle vest. But one drawing from Eberle's patent on his backpack appeals to me as about the right placement and support for my rifle. In this figure (Fig. 5 from US Patent 6,763,987), the rifle lays flat against your back behind your left shoulder (where that little downward "V" cut is), for quick right hand over shoulder draw.
Don McDowell

Re: Scabbard, for walking or hiking? NOT horse or ATV!

Post by Don McDowell »

Is there some reason why a good sling on the rifle wouldn't accomplish the same thing? Bringing the rifle up into firing position from a sling will be faster any day than trying to drag the rifle out of a scabbard.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Dunno who said the CTD (made by VooDoo Tactical & also carried elsewhere) scabbard is too small, or why.
Mine easily fits a 20-inch Rem 870 with ghostring sights, pistol grip stock, and sling, and a 14-inch 870 with ghost ring sights, sling & standard buttstock.
Also a 19-inch Uberti Model 66, an 18-inch Marlin Guide Gun with tall ghost ring sights, and a 20-inch Ruger .30-06 International bolt-action with ghost ring sights & sling.
And my 16-inch Rossi 92, although the larger lever has to be pushed firmly inside & the sharp sights front & rear would tear up the inside fabric. A standard sized lever Rossi 92 would fit very well, but again- those sights would be a problem unless the sharp edges were removed.

Can't address the backpack part since I got mine for ATV carry, but there's certainly room for a number of different long gun types in the thing. It does obviously require a backpack or vest to strap to, unless you want it flopping loosely around on the big carry strap, which I'd think would offer no advantage over a conventional sling carry.
It seems to be well made & worth its price.

Denis
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Check out the Nimrod pack system and belt with shoulder straps. I have used it for years and love it.
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Don, I have great slings on other rifles and love 'em. I favor the sticky-grippy rubber shoulder pad on the Butler Creek "Comfort V-Grip Sling" http://www.butlercreek.com/products/comfort_v-grip.html. 'Bout the best you can get, unless you insist on using the sling for aiming support as soldiers were taught to do in WWII, with their .30-06 M1s (for long-range aiming). Then this Butler Creek will not wind around your forearm/elbow correctly. But, as good as this sling is, I've slammed my rifles into things as I duck under branches, etc., unless I use one arm to hold it in place (which defeats the purpose, i.e., freeing up my hands).

DPris, The buyer reviews on CTD scared me off, that this shotgun scabbard would be too tight a fit, with fancy rear sight. But your vote that this scabbard does accomdate ghost ring sights on at least two of your long guns is noted. Looking again that the reviews in CTD, the buyers saying it was too tight are in the minority, maybe 20%. I copy some of their comments below. One guy even cut his open, modified and had it re-stitched! You can look at the other reviews on the linked-to pages to see the positive reviews.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MOLLE250-1.html#Reviews
Great but....
Reviewer: M.A.C
1/15/2010
This is a great scabbard but it will not work with a sidesaddle or other bulky accessories. You will need to make some modifications to the scabbard in order to use a shotgun with a sidesaddle or accessories.

Good, but needs help
Reviewer: Dan
3/21/2009
Item is well made, BUT, VERY tight fit for a shotgun. If you have sidesaddle or attachment for tac light-forget it. I cut mine down the spine, removed the padding and left the plastic shell. Took it to seamstress to have sowed back up again. Even at that, its a snug fit..They should have made this with a little more material. As is, you cannot draw the shotgun when it is slung over your back. You would have to take the entire thing off to remove the shotgun. Removing the padding makes it easier. I am sure manufacturer had their reason for its design, but for real world use, it needs alterations.

molle shotgun scabbard
Reviewer: Harland
1/20/2009
Excellent! better than a carrying case, or bag. I love the ease of accessabilty, and tactical advantage it offers. Allthough very tight, and had to remove the tac. light, but thats ok. I can allways cross over to my SOCOM II with night sights! Thanks Cheaper Than Dirt!
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDeta ... 51#Reviews
Not sure why I bought one
Reviewer: Misery
2/3/2010
It is well made like everyone says but the problem I have with it is that you basically can't have any kind of accessory on your shotgun if you want to use it with this. I have LPA ghost ring sights on my Benelli and it won't fit in here. I also have a Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 and if I strip them down a bit (no shell carriers or optics on the reciever and nothing mounted on the barrel or mag tube), I can carry them in this but I haven't found any way of drawing either any faster than an 'I'm dead and so is everyone around me' kind of reaction . . . I would probably have better results with a Molle vest to tie it down to but I don't like vests. I'm going to stick with the over-the-shoulder sling, reach for the forend with my weak side hand and have the weapon on target MUCH faster than if I used this . . .
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I've been planning on buying the CTD scabbard for my ATV .

But as far as walking and getting on target fast . Nothing beats the saddlering sling.

http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm

I just picked up the things needed to make one for my son at the hardware store and it cost me less than $5. It took me 3 hardware stores to find one that sells the nylon strapping by the foot and all the clips that are needed. A saddle ring can be purchase for around $15.
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Here ya go. On the second page is the harness to convert it to a back pack. It comes in leather too :D http://www.wyomingoutdoor.com/cgi-bin/m ... Code=28000
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Is this what you are looking for?

Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
http://www.legacysports.com/products/pu ... ather.html

Don't have one so i can't comment on how it works, but it looks good.
Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens... and the unforeseeable that which your life becomes.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I don't think any of those scabbards are going to do what you want them to. Anything that leaves the rifle to where you can get a hold of it will have it riding high enough you'll clothesline yourself on it in the trees. I always just carry the rifle on the off side shoulder muzzle down, swings up into position pretty fast.
Buy good luck with your search.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

These ideas might not be what you have in mind, but have you ever taken a look at Dillon's Gun Bucket Holster/ it is a hold anything belt holster that will literally carry a lever-gun in a belt holster. i won't guarantee speed of draw but it will work. i've seen Charlie Smith carry a marlin M-1894 in one at CSA Rendezvous.

Another thought would be a Saddle Ring Sling like the one Junior Doughty makes. Here is a link to Junior's article on the piece: http://www.castbullet.com/srsling.htm.

If your rifle has a saddle ring you might want to consider it. if you don't ant to make it yourself, I think Junior sells them at a rather modest price.

If those don't strike your fancy, let me suggest you find a local leathercraftsman and commision him to make you a bandolero holster to carry the rifle across your back and placed so you can reach up and draw with your shooting hand. I'd suggest you have him use heavy latigo leather for the scabbard and the heaviest belt or saddle leather he has on hand for the baldrick. If i ever get a chance to go salmon fishing, I'll make one for myself.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Sportsmans Guide has a shoulder scabbard for ~$40. I've also seen ones with two shoulder straps.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

dkmlever, (and Others later - great info but I am backed up studying it!)

I looked at the Nimrod pack system model with scabbard. VERY PROMISING. Which style do you have? Can you advise me? Here is what I found and my questions:

Here is one of the "systems" with scabbard and butt pack...

And here is the rifle draw sequence...

And here are some links to the general product area:
http://www.nimrodpacks.com/n215.html and http://www.nimrodpacks.com/n550-215.html

My questions:
1) At first, I just want the scabbard itself, with shoulder straps and waist belt (belt holding down the lower end of the scabbard, for when you draw the rifle). Don't want the butt pack. (Might wish I had it later, but...). What part number do I order? I can't find it.

2) Evidently, the butt pack doubles as the waist belt. Maybe it is worth it to to ahead and get the butt pack? AND, Is the pouch of the butt pack detachable from the waist belt?

3) It looks like the rifle is held at a diagonal angle across your back. Is that adjustable? (Gotta clear the horse's back in the photos...)

Maybe I should just get somebody on the phone at Nimrod, to have them explain it to me and identify the part numbers for me to order. Do they take orders directly or go through distributors only?
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Call em and find out.
ED
Yer never too old
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Well, levergunlover.com would get my business if I were to have a backpack scabbard made.

Here's another style:
http://www.sealsactiongear.com/catalog/ ... oduct=1066

For me, I'd buy something like the Auburn Leather Works scabbard ($29.99)from Cabela's, cut the saddle straps off, and get an oversized gun belt. Then I 'd get me some Chicago screws, punch some holes and screw the scabbard to the gunbelt--all for less than $75 if I tried. Then wear it as a bandoleer.

Speaking from experience with some rental horses in Colorado, you best make sure the horse you're gonna be around don't sunfish on you while you're reaching up over your head to get your gun while in the saddle.

Google "backpack scabbard" or "shoulder scabbard" til your heart's content.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Well,... just get your needles and sinew out, here is one I made for my 444,... from an old pair of chaps!

Here is a better shot of the stitch'n.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Found this pokin' around the web. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.okanagansaddlery.com/Scabbards%20page.htm
Old Law Dawg
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

kimwcook wrote:Found this pokin' around the web. Scroll down to the bottom of the page.

http://www.okanagansaddlery.com/Scabbards%20page.htm
Okanagan Saddlery does great work and his delivery time used to be pretty speedy. I say used to as I have not ordered anything from him in a few years. He is located in Canada and you can discuss any special design or features you may want to have on your item.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

kimwcook and SJPrice,

I think you found just the shop to execute Doc Hudson's idea, which I like:
let me suggest you find a local leathercraftsman and commision him to make you a bandolero holster to carry the rifle across your back and placed so you can reach up and draw with your shooting hand. I'd suggest you have him use heavy latigo leather for the scabbard and the heaviest belt or saddle leather he has on hand for the baldrick. If i ever get a chance to go salmon fishing, I'll make one for myself.
However, I had to look up what a baldrick was, and what a bandolier was. Here're one kind of each:
Image Image
baldrick .................... bandolier

I think I would still have to have a waist belt, to hold the scabbard down during an over-the-shoulder draw. One of Okanagan Saddlery's styles might work, using the optional barrel-end strap for horse saddle as a waist belt. (But I am sure the Okanagan folks could make something a little more suitable, as a small customization of this style.) Here is a photo of that style:

GabbyHaze

Post by GabbyHaze »

Have you guys seen these rifle Slings ?? http://www.gunslingercorral.com/

JT
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Gabby,

Thanks for the link. I did watch some of the videos. That would definitely solve most of my problems. I'll probably buy one to go with my other rifles that won't have scabbards. It will solve the problem of the rifle sling slipping off my shoulder.

As for the new lever gun, though, I am emotionally committed to a scabbard. I just want to do it. 'Nuff said. However, never one to know when to stop talking, I do want the scabbard for protection, for an informal gun case (one of the indoor ranges I use requires that the gun be in a case when you enter the building) and for the sheer mystery of it - no one really knows what the rifle is until you draw it from that scabbard!
peter richards
Levergunner 2.0

Post by peter richards »

I have had the Triple K from Cabelas for a while & it works well from the saddle with 92's & 94's, it would'nt be hard to have straps made up to go over your back.
Pete
Levergunner Down Under
NRA Life Member
SSAA
SASS
WACA
Shooters & Fishers Party
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Pete, Thanks. I thought of that, but the scabbard sleeve itself is only part of the rig and, as long as I have a saddlemaker work on it, I might as well have him do the whole thing. At least the leather will match! Also, the guy I am working with has some good ideas and experience of his own and is pleasant to work with. It's as much about the process as the result, though I DO want a good result.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, suggested by Doc Hudson, I am looking at a design that lays the scabbard kind of diagonal across my back, with the butt stock coming up on the trigger-hand side of my head. Look at the Nimrod Pack photo of the guy on the horse, drawing (though I do not plan to use a horse). A modified baldrick will hold the scabbard and a belt attachment will hold the baldrick down during draw.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Make your own, then you can experiment and end up with what you want. Can't be that hard.
I've slammed my rifles into things as I duck under branches, etc., unless I use one arm to hold it in place (which defeats the purpose, i.e., freeing up my hands).
I like a sling with the "African" carry (muzzle down, offside shoulder, trigger guard forward). It's very fast to get into action and you can maneuver well as long as the gun is short enough.