Browning BLR - Tell me about them

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Browning BLR - Tell me about them

Post by Warhawk »

I've never paid much attention to the Browning BLR, but now one has caught my eye. I think it's an older version, in .308. The asking price is $550 which I might be able to get down a little.

Any good online resources for learning about these?

I assume the older steel frame guns are the best, but are there any other major changes once they went to aluminum receivers?

If I get serious about this thing, anything specific to the BLR that I should look for that would make it a no go?
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: Browning BLR - Tell me about them

Post by Doc Hudson »

My BLR is a 1978 vintage made by Miroku.

It is absolutely the most accurate rifle I've ever owned and one of the most accurate I've ever fired. FWIW, I've heard other folks say the same thing about their BLR's.

IMO the only shortcomings of the BLR are the expense of buying spare magazines, and that dadblasted spar varnish finish Browning puts on the stock and forearm.

Buy the rifle, you won't regret it. Even if you decide not to keep it you can probably sell it at a profit.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

They are very accurate and smooth. Comes down to if you like the configuration and caliber.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

They are my favorites. The main difference between the steel and alloy models is the newer ones (alloy) bolt locks up inside the barrel. There is a little weight difference. Magazines are expensive, and some of the older ones are getting hard to find.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have one in 308 that I will never sell. It's as handy as a 30-30 with more punch. Alloy receiver should be marked BLR lightning on the barrel. Accurate and has never failed. I have no use for a spare magazine until I loose mine. New ones have sky rocketed in price in the last 5 years.

It has a shorter lever throw because it uses a rack and pinion . Take the magazine out and turn it upside down and cycle the action. You will see what I'm talking about. The trigger also stays with the lever. Used ones go for around $500 . Five years ago you could of bought a new one at that price.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I had one in 257 Roberts. Not a caliber I'd have normally picked, but I ran across a used on at a great price. Excellent quality but I let a friend who was more into the caliber talk me out of it. He said it was one of the most accurate lever guns he'd ever shot.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The BLR's are accurate.

They feed factory ammo well, but may be sensitive to some handloaded bullet nose shapes/lengths.

While most folks scope theirs, my early .358 took readily to a Williams WGRS peep sight atop the receiver - the sheet metal rear barrel sight removed readily.

Early mags protrude a lot, below the action profile, while later (BLR-81) models don't - which makes a difference in one-handed, no-scope carry.

The early model's impressed checkering looks like junk - I sanded mine off, when I got rid of the epoxy-type Browning stock finish on my .358.

You will be VERY upset, should you ever have one, then no longer have it for whatever reason - don't ask about my .358. ;)

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Only thing to add is be mindful of that light barrel. 3 shot groups are clover leafs with the rifles favorite ammo, but the barrel heats up after that and groups will open. Doesn't make much matter tho, it's one of the finest hunting rifles ever built, and if you need more than 3quick shots, there's something wrong and it's most likely not the guns fault.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Not just a lot I can add to the above. A buddy had on in .243 that I loved to I decided I needed one. That was back in 93. It was a brand new .270. It was very stiff action wise, but a good oiling and cycling it about 500 times, and it began to smooth up. It was an excellent shooting and handling rifle. 1 to 1 1/2 moa at 100yds with std the cheap stuff (win pp or rem cl). I didn't like the longer throw of the .270 as compared to the .243 so I eventually ended up trading it off. About 4 or 5 years ago I came across a real good deal on a used .308, and snatched it up. I don't see myself EVER parting with it. I don't shoot or hunt very much these days, as I just don't have the time, but I can still pull it out and hit whatever I need to.

I honestly haven't pulled it out of the case since we moved to the new house last Feb, but over the Christmas break before we moved, I lost several chickens, decided to get up early and try to nail whatever was doing it. First shot kill on a small coyote (about 20 lbs) 113 long steps. Just an all around good gun, handles and shoots right, and don't hurt the eyes either. I don't know anyone who has one who regrets it.

Bryan
Fiddler
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fiddler »

I've got a steel Japanese model in 7mm-08 and it's certainly a tackdriver. The only thing I don't like about it is the trigger. I'm used to a light trigger on all my rifles, and years ago I took this BLR to a gunsmith for what I assumed would be a routine trigger job.
Imagine my shock when I was told he couldn't do anything about triggers on BLR's! I was informed that I'd have to live with it. What a bummer!
It also takes longer than I'd like to sight in a new scope at the range because of the necessity of letting that skinny little barrel cool between shots.
It always strikes me as odd that my .22 Marlin 39A is heavier and bulkier than my deer rifle.
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Warhawk, I have one of the newer one's in 358 win. It has the pistol grip stock on it. I totally enjoy it, it is my grab and go rifle. I understand the older ones, with the the mag that protrudes out the bottom, are hard to find mags for. The newer ones, the mag is almost flush with the receiver and the mags are easy to find but kind of pricey. I have one spare mag for mine. Most that I have heard of are accurate to very accurate. The triggers can be stiff but mine got better with dry firing and actual firing, now it's not to bad, I understand there is a few smiths out there who will do a trigger job on them. The barrels are thin and will heat up quickly, if you plan to shot more then 3 shot groups you will need to let it cool, but they are built for hunting and not for bench rest competitions. I put a 2X7 scope on mine and really like it, I've taken several animals with it and the 358 is a real hammer.
Ricky

DWWC
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

I have two BLR's. My first is a model 81 in .308 with a steel receiver I bought used about 1991. It was my primary hunting rifle for pig and deer until recently. I shot it for five years before I learned I'm supposed to hate the trigger. I liked it so much I bought a takedown in 308 about year ago. Both are scoped. The early one with a 2-7x32 the new one with a 2.5x28 scout scope.

My recent wrist surgery has prevented any serious hunting this past year so I don't know how well the new BLR will perform in the field. It seem a little stiff compared to the old one but that could just be because its not broken in yet.

Accuracy with 150 gr or 165 gr factory ammo is one to two MOA on paper out to 300 yards. I've also tried some 110 gr hollowpoint handloads with similar accuracy at 100 yards. Chambers seem to be machined to the low end of the tolerances so, if you reload for it, always full length resize the cases. Neither of mine like steel cased ammo.

Magazines are expensive and a little hard to find. MSRP is about $70 each and the cheapest I've seen recently was about $55. Fortunately, I bought about a dozen or so over the years at gun shows for $15 to $25 per.

The biggest problem with the BLR is It's so pretty you might not want to take out where it can get banged around.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I've started a couple of responses but this dadgum cast on my hand really interferes with my typing!

Thanks for all the responses. I knew this was the right place to ask :D

I decided to sell my little Remington 600 and it sold almost immediately. That leaves me without a 308 hunting rifle, and since I have quite a stockpile of 308 ammo I need another one. I'll probably wind up with another 308 bolt gun too, but I keep thinking about that BLR I looked at the other day. I've not heard from a single person who didn't like their BLR.

I'd love to have a .358, maybe someday. But I have 800+ rounds of .308 soft point ammo which should be a lifetime supply.

I really hate Browning's epoxy finish, I've passed on a few guns I should have bought over the years because of it. I guess I'm finally going to find out how hard it is to remove.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I don't really dislike the rifle but I'm not particularly fond of the one in my closet. It's not mine or it would have been traded long ago. It's a pre-81 made in Japan in 308. It's more of a personal thing for me (don't really like the looks or recoil) than any real problem with it.

First bit of advice is: don't take it apart, the second is DON'T TAKE IT APART unless something is broken and must be fixed. To be fair, the only time you're likely to break anything is: if you take it apart. You seeing a pattern here? I've put together 2 of them that the owners took apart because they just "had" to clean from the breach, this one twice(some folks don't learn very quick) and putting them back together is a royal &%^#$.

I've done extensive load development on this one and everyone is bang on the mark about accuracy. Let the barrel cool between shots and this one will produce outstanding accuracy. Let your group go to 5 rounds in a string without substantial time between shots and it starts throwing them at shot 4. Full length sizing is a must.

Oh, and by the way, in all of them, the bolt locks into the barrel, even the early ones. The receiver is just something to tie the barrel to the stock, for the innards to sit in, and the bolt to slide in.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

I like mine but it is a gunsafe queen.

It's a .358 with aluminum receiver. I've done enough shooting of 250gr Speers into recycled milkjugs to get that this is a nice combination of thump at the muzzle end with no discomfort at the butt end. And yet it is quite a light gun. That I like.

What I really wish for is a scout scope on this rifle. My old eyes do not work with irons that well any more, even with the Williams receiver sight I put on. I hate the thought of conventional scope mounting on a lever gun, just won't do it. So for me it is a 100 yd gun. Since I have other guns that work much better, this one doesn't get used.

If I were to do this again I'd get the same gun but in a takedown so I could Scout scope it. Then I'd use it for about everything. .357 handgun bullets, yes!

Think about .358 even if you have a lot of .308 around. I admit .308 is good for bad times scenarios and lots of other things, but the .358 is a cool caliber.

The looks take some getting used to. It is smooth though, and a classy gun.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I love both my short actions also. I am thinking about a long action 30-06, but the guys who spoke of them said they just don't feel right? I have never seen one anywhere to confirm what I have heard about them. The one big thing that caught my attention the 1st time I picked my .308 up was how smooth the action was. I never expected that.
stinson
Levergunner

Post by stinson »

If you don't like the shiny finish, get the stainless/synthetic version. I never owned a BLR, but when they came out with the stainless model a couple of years ago, I told a friend that if they came out with a takedown version in .325 WSM, I'd scoop one up. Well, last summer I spotted one in a gunshop and immediately bought it. I took it bear hunting on Kodiak last fall, and, although no bear, I quickly fell in love with it. It's extremely accurate (a pleasant surprise), powerful, light, flat-shooting, as handy as a Winchester, strong, corrosion resistant, and fits neatly in the back of my plane (in this regard, I can also put it in a non-gun-looking case when travelling on the airlines, deterring theft.) In this caliber, it's suitable for any North American game, yet is not too much for deer, particularly if one handloads. Yeah, the trigger's not the best, magazines are expensive, and brass can be hard to find - but you can make it up from .300 WSM brass.

Unfortunately, the stainless/takedown version is not cataloged, as far as I can tell. I hope that Browning will wake up and realize that this model is as close to an all-around rifle as currently exists, and will promote it in their catalog and advertising.
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

I have a stainless/camo one in .308. I put a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 on it and it will outshoot most bolt guns. I love the fact that it is stainless/camo, am not afraid to take it in the mud and snow. Very light fast handling gun, I highly recommend it. Those stainless/camo versions were supposedly a special SHOT show run for 2008 I believe. I missed out on an opportunity to buy the same rifle in .358 a year ago and am still kicking myself...
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bigahh wrote:I love both my short actions also. I am thinking about a long action 30-06, but the guys who spoke of them said they just don't feel right?
Those long actions are just clumsy feeling. The lever throw is quite long. The 06 doesn't coughup enough ballistic advantage to give up the slick handling quality of the short action, as near as I can tell.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I purchased my first model 81 BLR about 20 years ago, for me, IMHO, they are the best. Mine has been my go to rifle, ever since. I may wander, and play with something else, but I always come back to my .308 BLR when I what to get something killed, and I don't want to mess around. It's the last rifle I would get rid of, and I have several that are a lot more expensive, but hardly anything that gets the job done as well, for general purpose hunting.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

Fiddler wrote:The only thing I don't like about it is the trigger. I'm used to a light trigger on all my rifles, and years ago I took this BLR to a gunsmith for what I assumed would be a routine trigger job. Imagine my shock when I was told he couldn't do anything about triggers on BLR's! I was informed that I'd have to live with it.
No, you don't. Contact this gentleman:

Neil Jones
PHONE 814-763-2769 or 814-763-4228
FAX 814-763-4228
EMAIL njones@mdvl.net
17217 Brookhouser Road, Saegertown PA 16433
http://www.neiljones.com/

Very reasonable price and turnaround time, 3 pound trigger on my Belgian BLR.

Hawkins
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Drat you guys/gals! I studied the BLR long and hard, wanted a .358 Win, though I should have wanted a .308 Win (for ammo I already have), and just passed up decent used buys on one of each on GunBroker. I guess I was getting picky. I wanted the so-called "pistol grip" because they just look right to me, but both of these were the straight grip "81"s. I thought I also wanted a take-down model, and neither were that, either. But then I hemmed and hawed: with a take-down, you have to use a scout scope only, not receiver scope, and, anyway, how often would I really need to take it down? And then there was the trigger issue, which others in this thread have confirmed, then accepted as good enough. Hem. Haw. Hem. Haw... In the end I committed to a new Rossi M92 at about a couple hundred dollars lower price, just to get started in lever guns....

But if you folks talk any more sweet talk about the BLR like you have been doing, you're going to drive my second-guessing to somewhere my pocketbook shouldn't go!
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

Bigahh wrote:I love both my short actions also. I am thinking about a long action 30-06, but the guys who spoke of them said they just don't feel right? I have never seen one anywhere to confirm what I have heard about them. The one big thing that caught my attention the 1st time I picked my .308 up was how smooth the action was. I never expected that.
As I said before I never did like the long throw on my .270 win (necked down 30-06). It wasn't near as slick or as handy feeling or handling as the short action. It shot good, but just wasn't the same. IMHO the long throw is just a limitation of the design. Don't get me wrong it isn't bad, but it isn't anywhere near as good as the short action.
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

Bill_Rights wrote:But then I hemmed and hawed: with a take-down, you have to use a scout scope only, not receiver scope
Simply not true. You can use either type of scope. The receiver is drilled and tapped for a conventional scope. The scout mount is an option. In fact, you could put both type of mounts on the takedown.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Bill_Rights wrote:Drat you guys/gals! I studied the BLR long and hard, wanted a .358 Win, though I should have wanted a .308 Win (for ammo I already have), and just passed up decent used buys on one of each on GunBroker. I guess I was getting picky. I wanted the so-called "pistol grip" because they just look right to me, but both of these were the straight grip "81"s. I thought I also wanted a take-down model, and neither were that, either. But then I hemmed and hawed: with a take-down, you have to use a scout scope only, not receiver scope, and, anyway, how often would I really need to take it down? And then there was the trigger issue, which others in this thread have confirmed, then accepted as good enough. Hem. Haw. Hem. Haw... In the end I committed to a new Rossi M92 at about a couple hundred dollars lower price, just to get started in lever guns....

But if you folks talk any more sweet talk about the BLR like you have been doing, you're going to drive my second-guessing to somewhere my pocketbook shouldn't go!
There is a .358 BLR for sale over on Marlin Owners right now for $500
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I really like my 358. It's a straight grip, newer BLR. I bought it from a fellow on this forum and he'd had the trigger worked over. Very nice rifle. I've only shot one elk with it, but it lived up to it's reputation for the caliber.
My rifle will shoot an inch without too much trouble. Good little rifle. I find myself carrying it a lot since I got it.
I also have an older, like new 308 BLR made in Belgium. It's a good shooter as well, but the trigger is really tough to shoot when not on a bench. I may send it off and get it worked over as well. It'll group slightly better than my 358 off the sand bags.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

I've owned several BLRs in various calibers and still own three, a .358 steel/straight grip, a .450 Marlin/straight grip and a .325WSM/pistol grip. The only ones I'm not a big fan of are the L/A models. I also have a nice 1895 45-70. I know traditionalists hate to hear this but the .450/BLR is a nicer gun than the Marlin, IMO. :o

Ease of loading/unloading, superior action strength and the ability to use pointed bullets too. 8) By the way the action of most any BLR is slick enough that held muzzle down, the action will close on it's own. :arrow: Try that with your Marlin.

The BLR in .358 Win is a very special rifle, as already mentioned here, several times. And this is from someone who also owns, and loves, both a Marlin .375 and 336ER/.356.
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I went back to buy the BLR today, of course it was gone.

I'll know better next time.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

i have 1 of the old steel frames in .308 with a 4x scope. i consider mine as accurate as a bolt gun. this combo will take all north american game and 95% or the worlds game. probablly 100% in a pinch. in other words, i would HIGHLY RECOMMEND one :D
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

scarville,

Thanks for the correct information, about scope types you can put on the take-down BLR. Maybe what I was looking at this,
and thinking (it's been a while) that a receiver-mounted scope, especially a big-ish one, would hang too far out once the barrel was removed, get busted or something... Or maybe I saw some scope bases people were using for receiver scopes that stuck out over the take-down separation joint and lap/lay on the top of the barrel - couldn't find photo of that. But I guess if you did not use one-piece scope base but used two separate rings instead, you could get both rings up on the receiver.

edsguns, Warhawk, others.... What you say about the .358 Win BLR has me sold - I'll start saving for one....
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

I use the Game Reaper one piece mounts on all my Brownings and they do not extend over the receiver.

http://dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=4

I have found that the tall (height) mount works best, as the medium will not provide clearance for the bell on some scopes.
Triggernosis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Triggernosis »

If you don't like the gloss epoxy finish, you can hand-rub it out to a satin sheen really easy using 0000 steel wool and along with a bit of oil. Nothing to it!

If you want a bolt gun in .308, getcha a BLR - since the bolt locks into the barrel, it's essentially a lever-activated bolt gun....

My next rifle will be a BLR in 7mm-08.
Tom
Eastern N.C.

NRA Rifle Instructor
4-H Rifle Instructor
HP Service Rifle competitor
Bill_Rights
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bill_Rights »

Bruce,

DNZ Game Reaper - check! I shoulda known I wasn't the first one to hit this problem.... Thanks, Bill
exdetsgt
Levergunner

Post by exdetsgt »

Local gun shop has an older Browning Lightning BLR in .270 with Leupold scope mounts with two mags for $450. Shows some use (previous own glued a 1/4" leather pad to the left top and side of the stock, it's actually rather well done). It's got a long barrel and of course I forgot to measure it. The GS owner said it would outshoot most anything he had.

What model is a "Lightning?"
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

Bill_Rights wrote:scarville,

Thanks for the correct information, about scope types you can put on the take-down BLR. Maybe what I was looking at this,
That's pretty close to what my BLR looks like :-)

Originally I was going to put a conventional scope on the takedown but I put an el cheapo IER scope on it as an experiment and found out I liked it. Now I have a Leupold 2.5x28 on it.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

exdetsgt wrote: What model is a "Lightning?"
A Lightning BLR has a rounded semi-pistol grip stock styled like the Browning Lightning shotguns. The first BLR I bought, in early 1997, is a short-action Lightning, in 308. I love it!
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

The BLR Lightweight is a walnut pistol gripped stock w/ a schnabel type forend. The BLR Lightweight 81 is a straight gripped walnut stock w/ a conventional looking forend w/ a barrel band. Both have been/are available in a takedown version. Both have been/are available in stainless and alloy. There are some non-cataloged Shot Show varities and some of those and some of the stainless versions have a laminated wood stock.