reloading 357, favorite primers and powders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FredGarvin
Levergunner

reloading 357, favorite primers and powders

Post by FredGarvin »

Thanks to the generosity of a member of this forum and good advice from him and others, I'm now awaiting the Lyman reloading manual and I'm soon to be studying for a new hobby. Thank you all.

I'm sure that this has been asked and answered more than once, but I'd like to get opinions on what powder & primer combinations produce good clean burning 357 magnum loads out of S&W 686 4" and Rossi 1892. I was able to find some 357 bullets (supplies are somewhat rare near me), and picked up some Hornady 140 grain XTP.

I am starting to understand how many variables are involved in reloading, so all advice is more than welcome.

Thanks
Remind politicians that they represent, not rule, you.
Personal liberty = personal responsibility
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Re: reloading 357, favorite primers and powders

Post by Steve Collins »

2400 works well for my .357 heavy loads, I also use a lot of Unique. Power Pistol is supposed to be really good, haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. I'll usually use CCI primers, but I"ve been finding a lot more Federal lately, and I've had really good luck with them.

I use 14.5grs of 2400, CCI Large Pistol primer and Winchester cases with the Hornady 158gr XTP. Accurate out of my S&W 4" Model 19 and my 6 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk.
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Fred,

I'm partial to Winchester primers and 2400 powder in the .357.
I'm fairly conservative on my loads and my most used load is 13.5 grs of 2400 under most any 158 to 173gr cast bullet. For the 158gr jacketed I'll go up to 14.5grs if the pistol will allow it.

You are correct there is a lot of variables in reloading. But it can be simplified. Try to stick with one brand of primers, that is a big variable. Until you are really experienced keep your powders to a minimum.
And create a system, a routine that you do not vary from when you load. That will keep you from getting into trouble when you experiment.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

W296 and Winchesters Small Pistol primers.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

For those 140 gr. bullets I'd like H110/W296, 2400, IMR 4227, and about any make of primer. One can't be as picky at the moment as one might have been. Load for the revolver and use that load in the rifle. Should work just fine.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I like H110 or W296 and Federal #200 primers. 158 & 180 XTP's
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

The only primers I have ever used for metallic cartridges ar CCI primers. Allegedly they are a little harder and a little hotter than other brands, but i do not know if that is true. I just know they've worked well for me.

My two favorite powders are Unique and Winchester 296,

I use Unique for cast bullets and the heavie jacketed bullets, on the rare occasions I use jacketed bullets. Some folks complain that Unique is dirty. i do not find that to be the case. It is my opinion that use of a heavy roll crimp holds the bullet long enough for a more complete burn of the powder. i have noted that with a lighter crimp I do get more powder fouling.

For 125 gr. JHP's I use Win 296. With 19.2 grains of Win 296, a CCI Magnum Small Pistol Primer and a Sierra 125 gr. JHP, my 4" M-686 will make one hole groups at 25 yards.

i've tried other powders but i always go back to Unique and Win 296. FWIW 19.2 grains of Win 296 is substantially below a maximum loads in my manuals. Even so, work up to it if you wish to try it.

My M-686 won't shoot 140 gr. bullets worth cussing and I've never tried them in my Rossi M-92, S&W M-640 or M-19.
Last edited by Doc Hudson on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I use whatever primers are handy. I like unique for mid power and 2400 for full power loads.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I only load 357mag for my Rossi M92s so my light loads are sorta stout as well. That said for 158grn Zero JSP bullets I used H110 and Win/CCI SPM primers until I ran out and now I use and Wolf SRM primers. My chrono doesn't show any difference in velocity but does show a bit tighter SD.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'm having a problem understanding SteveCollins recipe as I believe the .357 takes small primers not large ones.
I started with CCI small pistol but now use CCI small rifle because they are a fair bit cheaper here, and i haven't seen a problem with the change. For powder I use BlueDot, 2400, or 2205 as mine really doesn't seem to like lite loads at all. All cases are WW.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Vihtivuori N110 is the king with 158 gr. bullets as far as I'm concerned, though not widely available. If I couldn't get that I'd use 2400. For heavyweights (180s) I like LilGun.
NRA Life Member
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

FredGarvin wrote:Thanks to the generosity of a member of this forum and good advice from him and others, I'm now awaiting the Lyman reloading manual and I'm soon to be studying for a new hobby. Thank you all.

I'm sure that this has been asked and answered more than once, but I'd like to get opinions on what powder & primer combinations produce good clean burning 357 magnum loads out of S&W 686 4" and Rossi 1892. I was able to find some 357 bullets (supplies are somewhat rare near me), and picked up some Hornady 140 grain XTP.

I am starting to understand how many variables are involved in reloading, so all advice is more than welcome.

Thanks

For mild loads , Unique , for 100% loads , 2400 , H110 , AA # 9 ans surplus WC820 ( which I am running out of ) .

Primers , cheapest I can get my hands on .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WyrTwister »

WyrTwister wrote:
FredGarvin wrote:Thanks to the generosity of a member of this forum and good advice from him and others, I'm now awaiting the Lyman reloading manual and I'm soon to be studying for a new hobby. Thank you all.

Thanks

For mild loads , Unique , for 100% loads , 2400 , H110 , AA # 9 and surplus WC820 ( which I am running out of ) .

Primers , cheapest I can get my hands on .

Home cast plain base ( not GC ) bullets ~ 150 grain .

God bless
Wyr
Last edited by WyrTwister on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Check out BlueDot.....good Magnum powder. Good heavy loads, but with less powder than H110. No better, no worse than 2400.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

in my red hawk.
lyman 358429 sq lube groove and 2400 doesn't get any better than that.
DAV life member.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

For .38 Special and .357 Magnum, I use Unique, Bullseye, or Universal (Clays) along with Winchester small pistol primers and various brands of brass -- mostly MAGTECH, some Winchester and Remington.
ED
Yer never too old
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

For everything but the heaviest loads, use TiteGroup. Burns very clean, uses little powder, and is very "powder position insensitive". The only drawback I know of, is that it is easy to double-charge cases, so you have to have your procedure down right.

I like Blue Dot for some applications (9mm) but it has a reputation for working poorly in cold temperatures.

For the heaviest loads, I've migrated from H110 and 296 over to Lil'Gun although someone around here recently was casting aspersions on it (so I may have to re-evaluate that).
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

For my pistol and rifle I load 7.5gr Unique and a 158gr xtp.I just loaded some 180wfngc
cast performance on top of 15gr of LiL Gun for my Marlin.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've kinda got down to 3 powders for .357:

N340
LilGun

I have pounds & pounds of 2400, but IIRC N340 got me similar velocities with less powder (my loadbooks are still packed).

LilGun for whompumstompers.

I DO use some Titegroup for subsonics, but that's not a big loadout for me.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

[quote="gundownunder"]I'm having a problem understanding SteveCollins recipe as I believe the .357 takes small primers not large ones.quote]

Yep, I meant Small Primers; turned 40 y/o last month, and CRS starts kicking in... :roll:
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

winny primers....but nowadays anything you can get!
and I am partial to unique....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Machado
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Machado »

txpete wrote:in my red hawk.
lyman 358429 sq lube groove and 2400 doesn't get any better than that.
+ 1
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Win primers, but I see no difference with federal. Win 296 powder, and I mostly shoot lead.