Show latest one of my homemade rifles

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Show latest one of my homemade rifles

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW :o She's a real beauty!

Here's the extent of my skill level in creating projectile weapons:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:WOW :o She's a real beauty!
Here's the extent of my skill level in creating projectile weapons:
And a thing of grace and functionality it is!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

This needed a reprise..... :shock: :o
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Everytime I see Alphawolf's work I'm in awe and wonderland.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks Blaine, I just read it again from the beginning. Can only add,
Alphawolf45 wrote:Hello Guys...I read on this forum almost daily but I generally dont use a gun enough to have anything intelligent to contribute...You guys intimidate me quite a bit......anyway.anyway....
No, sir. I think I speak for all of us, that we're the ones intimidated! But, keep it up! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Thanks guys..I read here on this forum everyday.. I dont have enough experience with firearms to be talking much about'em with this group of guys...I did finish a lever gun project in last few weeks.I have got to resize some pictures. I rebuilt a ragged out Winchester model 65 that I traded for 30 years ago .I acquired it in unshootable condition. Now among other things I relined the old barrel and chambered it again for .218 BEE .Image I have got to take better pictures..I t come out pretty nice, its a good shooter now.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Alphawolf45 wrote: I relined the old barrel and chambered it again for .218 BEE .Image I have got to take better pictures..I t come out pretty nice, its a good shooter now.
now your just teasing us.
not better, just more.
great work you do. :mrgreen:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Sorry Pokey.I am having difficulties,wasnt trying to tease'ya.
This rifle was in bad shape and now it works nicely and looks good..Didnt try to doll it up to win approval but on other hand what I did do was rather noteworthy..Had to weld in 12 holes in the barrel that had been scope mounting holes.....Had a bulge on the barrel and corresponding bad spot insiide the bore so I installed a liner in it..That first time I relined a centerfire rifle..Monstrous chore, I think I'll hire John Taylor to reline any other centerfires I might need done...
100_1707.jpg
And the previous owner had pried out the loading spring gate and tore the receiver..I fixed it best I was able but didnt hide it entirely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

And I made the .218 BEE chambering reamer, here is picture of it about half done..It made me a good chamber..I'd be buying chambering reamers if I werent on a modest budget,...Ohh I forgot to mention that I made the new cartridge spring gate because after I had repaired the torn receiver a replacement spring gate was a tiny bit too small to cover the slightly larger hole...hmmm..Thats a gun part a hobbiest ought not be able to make...'Fact I am surprised it didnt break yet, I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one..
Also missing was the fore end wood , mag tube and that steel fore end cap, I made those pieces..
By the way, I color case hardened the receiver and lever and browned the barrel , breechblock and hammer..........So consider I had the rifle in unusable condition for 30 years but finally I rebuilt it to use it ...I am happy with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Just ALL THAT Much more impressive! Did I say "WOW" before? Clearly I didn't understand the definiition! :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

Griff wrote:Just ALL THAT Much more impressive! Did I say "WOW" before? Clearly I didn't understand the definiition! :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:
Thanks Griff .. ... I am amazed that I finally got around to working it.. I traded for it in 1981 ...Winchester model 65 would been worth good money if it hadnt been abused like it had .But I am having fun with the rifle, learned some good stuff doing the project.
Brasspounder
Levergunner

Post by Brasspounder »

Alphawolf45 wrote:Image
I am real happy how this one turned out..I copied old Marlin model 1892 .22 that inherited from Granddad. I made every piece except bought the tube magazine and the extractor and used a rifled barrel blank.
WOW. I just finished reading through all of the pages in this thread, and I stand in awe of your fine craftsmanship. That's absolutely beautiful work!

I'm brand new to the forum but I can see that I'll be here often. This looks like a great place to hang out and swap stories & experiences.
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user. - Theodore Roosevelt
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

.[/quote] WOW. I just finished reading through all of the pages in this thread, and I stand in awe of your fine craftsmanship. That's absolutely beautiful work!

I'm brand new to the forum but I can see that I'll be here often. This looks like a great place to hang out and swap stories & experiences.[/quote]

I do appreciate the compliments Brasspounder. I'm still learning the gunsmithing side of things and enjoying it a great deal.. Good way to spend ones idle time...... This Forum is great. I visit here several times everyday.. I stand in awe of the members that have owned and used great guns going back for multiple decades. And I like this forums laid back nature/humor....

I recently bought 5000 large rifle primers and ordered 25 pounds of Goex black powder, intend to go do more shooting and less time cranking handles in the shop..Presently I Am finishing a barstock build of a Highwall in .25-35 and making parts for a Stevens 44 and 1/2 in .45-70. Looking forward to poking holes in paper at longer distances with some of these guns I have built.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Last time I viewed this thread was 2010, nice to see Alpha still at it. Alpha, I was somewhat surprised you weren't doing a 73 in .44-40. Now that you bought all that powder etc I look forward to seeing some targets posted. :D
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

It was very cool seeing this resurrected...I'm in awe of talent on this board. :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

sore shoulder wrote:Last time I viewed this thread was 2010, nice to see Alpha still at it. Alpha, I was somewhat surprised you weren't doing a 73 in .44-40. Now that you bought all that powder etc I look forward to seeing some targets posted. :D

Well , I honestly cannot see worth spit and I shake pretty bad so tight groups are not the priority , just want to have the experience like you fellows shooting at greater distance... Yes I finished the trapper length .22 Win. 73 carbine and still working on '73s in .22 , .32, .38 and .45 ....Takes literally hundreds of hours to build a reasonably decent gun.. I do real good to finish a couple projects every year...This isnt hard work, but it is very tough to keep the interest going long enough to finish..There is a monthly Black Powder Cartridge Silhouette match at the gun club 60 miles up the road.. I want to try that too.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Alpha, I think I speak for all of us when I say thank you for sharing your projects here. Makes me want to get a mill. My brother got a regular mill and a CNC and has been having a lot of fun.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Alphawolf45
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Alphawolf45 »

sore shoulder wrote:Alpha, I think I speak for all of us when I say thank you for sharing your projects here. Makes me want to get a mill. My brother got a regular mill and a CNC and has been having a lot of fun.
Yes Soreshoulder you should put in a home machineshop..Extremely satisfying hobby.. I have 2 manual and 2 cnc mills too..And 3 lathes, surface grinder, welders, heat treat furnace etc..Was into metalsworking long before I ever fooled with a gun..Many projects at home are accomplished with the machinery like working on my 15 year old Kubota mower or rebuilding antique outboard motors..Doing ones own re-barreling projects or make the odd part will give considerable satisfaction and can be accomplished over an otherwise boring weekend. Metalsworking is a fantastic hobby for those that can acquire the machinery .I highly recommend it..Gun work is just one of the many things that you can do with a home workshop..

I cut a bad chamber last week--- now I know what chatter in a chamber looks like- which serves to remind me that I'm still learning..But cutoff the end of the barrel blank and go at it again. Its all fun..