Making a Marlin 1894 Ranch Rifle or Night Scout gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Making a Marlin 1894 Ranch Rifle or Night Scout gun

Post by AJMD429 »

Ranch-rifle - [noun] - 'a lightweight carbine-type firearm suitable for a variety of ordinary farm/ranch tasks, including predator control, putting down livestock if necessary, taking advantage of game spotted during hunting season while out doing other chores, control of feral dogs or cats in the process of damaging livestock, and suitable for home protection if needed.'

I’ve always felt the ideal ‘ranch gun'*** would be a carbine (lightweight and handy), in a pistol cartridge (plenty of close-up power, without the deafening clang of a bottleneck round, and with minimally-blinding muzzle-flash if used at night). For rapid handling a semiauto or levergun seemed to be the obvious choices, and although I’m a fan of detachable box magazines for hunting, the higher capacity ones you might want for a pack of coyotes in the goat pen did not tend to be found in anything other than 9mm and .45 ACP. The 9mm long guns I’ve used never seemed to feed well, and that round wouldn’t be my first choice if the gun were pressed into duty for home protection. The Marlin Camp Rifle seemed to be a good choice for the .45 ACP, but the higher capacity magazines stick out rather awkwardly. (I still like the idea, though - if maybe I could adapt it to use a Para-Ordnance wide-body magazine...).

So that left me looking at my leverguns, to see which one would make a natural ‘ranch’ gun for when the .22LR isn’t enough. If I lived in bear country, I’d want the .45-70 or .444 level of power, but I’d be just as deaf and blind as if I used a .308. So that left .45 Colt, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, and .32-20. Potential need to use factory ammunition ruled out the first and last, and in choosing between the .44 Mag and .357 Mag it boiled down to what one I had a ‘spare’ of. Since the youngest (so far) hunter in the family decided she didn’t need to use a .357 any more because she didn’t mind the recoil of a .44, I commandeered the family 1894css, and started my project.

[ ***Note - I was unsure where to put the 'apology for creating a non-traditional levergun' disclaimer, but I figured that since I used a blasphemous stainless steel :o gun, that the anti-electonic-gizmo guys wouldn't read the post anyway... :wink: ]

Since half the time we have feral animals or coyotes or whatever eating our livestock, it is dusk or dark, it seemed prudent to use sights capable of reasonable use during those conditions. Real 'night sights' might be nice, but are incredibly expensive, heavy, and not useful or practical in the daytime, whereas the EoTech Holosight is very useful in all light conditions. Add a laser and a flashlight, and you're good to go check the stock when they're frenzying about something out in the woods. Note that if you simply remove the light, this setup is actually legal hunting gear in many places; it wouldn't be my choice of deer setups sight-wise, but it would do the job. More likely the bullets will be aimed at coyotes and whatever comes to eat our chickens.

Here’s the raw materials:

• A Bushnell/EoTech Holosight
    An XS Scout Rail for 1894s
    A Williams WGRS for the 336's and (supposedly) 1894's
    A NcStar pistol laser
    A chunk of ½" electric PVC conduit
    Low 1" scope rings
    A "Duracell 'Daylite' TrueBeam" 4-watt :shock: LED Flashlight (it even adjusts for 'spot' or 'flood' 8) )
    Scraps of plastic tubing and a thin plastic notebook binder
    A couple 8x32 flat head allen screws and nuts for them

A dremel tool with assorted bits and tips
    Some coarse aluminum grit sandpaper
    A regular drill and a countersinking bit
    Screwdrivers and Hex wrenches, etc.
    (optional) Colorful language for when things don't fit
The XS scout mount did require some fitting; you can either elongate the front mount hole that goes over the dovetail-mounted stud, or as I chose to do, trim the surface which engages the front of the receiver.

There will be a gap under the front of the rail, and this is normal (the instructions don’t really spell this out).

Now, any rear sight could be used for ‘backup’ purposes (if the EoTech and laser are both kaput I’m probably kaput too), including my favorite Williams FP, but I wanted to use this extra WGRS I had, and it is supposed to fit all the Marlins. Well, it does, but it sticks out quite a bit - unless you mount it backwards! I’ll probably file/Dremel off the overhang that still exists. If I planned on using the aperture, I couldn’t lower the sight down very far, but I couldn’t do that anyway with the rail on, and I usually just ‘ghost ring’ my peep sights anyway.

Here’s the rail, WGRS, EoTech, and pistol laser as mounted. The pistol laser is flat enough that it isn’t visible through the EoTech at all, although I could have used other fairly large generic lasers without problems. The NcStar’s big problem (and it IS a big one, sort of) is that the threaded stud pulls through when you tighten the mounting screw, that is if the screw doesn’t pull through the plastic first. There really need to be two screws vs. one anyway, so I plan to just replace the existing one with a screw and nut, and have drilled out another hole for a second one.

Now, for the light mount. As you can see in the “raw materials” picture above, I had a nice little light-clamp, which would have worked for the AA-Maglight I was going to mount on it, but the much brighter 4-watt LED light I found had a wider lens and wouldn’t clear the magazine tube with that mount. I almost just mounted a section of scope-base rail on the forend, but didn’t want it behind the sling, didn’t want to mount the sling to the light, and had mixed feelings about mounting in on the side of the forend. I considered moving the sling swivel to the side of the band, but in the end decided to go with the magazine-mount.

A piece of plastic electric conduit was at least less obnoxious than the white PVC used for water, and I cut it quickly with a hacksaw, drilled holes to match the mount (which was a close fit to the radius, but some work with sandpaper wrapped around the conduit finished the shaping of the aluminum rail), and countersank those holes from the inside of the tube, then ground and polished the screws to match the interior contours of the tubing. I used a thin sheet of fairly tough plastic (from a three-ring plastic notebook cover) to wrap the magazine tube and hopefully minimize any scratch-and-dent effects.

Here's the mount, half-way through the shaping and smoothing process:

Here’s the finished light mount (took some partial disassembly and parts-jockeying to get it on):

Now, I still plan to refinish the stock (unsure why, since it is a ‘chore’ gun), but here’s the project so far:
(...maybe if the wood under that 'varnish' is nasty, I'll just paint it black - it might at least look 'different'... :? )

The sight picture is really hard to show, but here’s a couple of shots:

Now, once I get it sighted-in, goat-eating coyotes, chicken-eating possums and other night-varmints beware...!
Last edited by AJMD429 on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Re: Making a Marlin 1894 Ranch Rifle or Night Scout gun

Post by RKrodle »

That's pretty cool Doc. I have the scout rail on my 1895G and had to fit it the same way you did. I have one of the Optronics lights that clip onto the scope and has a on/off switch you mount on the fore arm. The battery pack is kind of heavy and is made to wear on your belt, lots of wire running around.
Ricky

DWWC
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

You should now be set up for the Zombie Apocalypse...!

:wink:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Nice set up should be very handy at night.
It is not the critic who counts
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

What, no duct tape? :lol:

Why not slide the eotech forward as far as you can, making the gun handy to pick up around the action?

I bet you'll get tired of that flashlight hanging down there. Maybe a smaller straight-barreled light taped in the "v" between barrel and tube would work. Or one on both sides...

Oh, and lose the white line spacer! :wink:

Good idea though, lots of ways to do this sort of thing. How about painting the wood black, heh?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Too many bells and whistles...... :wink: Whatever happened to a good pump shotgun with a flashlight duct taped under the barrel?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BlaineG wrote:Too many bells and whistles...... :wink: Whatever happened to a good pump shotgun with a flashlight duct taped under the barrel?
:lol: Hard to o.s.o.k. a feral cat at 75 yards at midnight with that setup - but not with the combo I'm putting on the Marlin... :twisted:

I already have the same setup on my 10/22 (Tapco stock) and it works really well for such tasks...

"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Doc, I've got the same issues in my little corner of Indiana that you do. I personally like a compact low power scope for such work but no matter. I am interested in that light though, what kind of beam will it throw? I really love these LED lights available today!
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Now this is the Ultimate..!

:lol: :wink:

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AJMD429 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Too many bells and whistles...... :wink: Whatever happened to a good pump shotgun with a flashlight duct taped under the barrel?
:lol: Hard to o.s.o.k. a feral cat at 75 yards at midnight with that setup - but not with the combo I'm putting on the Marlin... :twisted:

I already have the same setup on my 10/22 (Tapco stock) and it works really well for such tasks...

Luke.....Use the force, Luke..... :wink: (Don't mind me, it really is a cool setup and it shows real Riggin' ability. :idea: )
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Nice rig you came up with there ... Ought to do the job fine...BUT :wink: You missed this Imageopportunity for a new to you toy!.. Classic walnut stock...Auto loading, pistol caliber, (surplus flash hiders are available) aperture sights, 15 round mag doesn't hang way down.. and there's a handy flash light attachment point hanging under the barrel too...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I like the idea for the light. Does it snap on an off? Other than that I would of just stuck a red dot or low power variable (1.5-4x) on it using a standard weaver base and called it good. The scout set-up and multiple sighting systems seems a bit over kill to me. IMO, lever carbines have been great ranch guns going on 150 years and you made a great choice for a starting point.

LK
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Hmmm, Yer project is pretty neat, and ya got me thinkin.

What if ya took one of those small laser/LED light pointer gadgets, gutted it and installed the LED and Laser in a mag tube cap (or simply installed the unit instead of a mag tube cap and lost one round mag capacity), and remoted the momentary pushbutton switches to the "fingertip" side of the forearm? Wiring from the mag tube front to the forearm could be that "tape" stuff they sell affixed to the top side of the mag tube, virtually invisible, and the only real mod would be drilling two 1/4" holes to install the switches in the forearm. If done right ya'd need a couple of set screws to align the laser, then shazaam, a totally innocuous, on demand laser as well as a small house or barn clearing light without anything hanging off the rifle..... In use ya press one fingertip for laser, the next for LED, or both, and let go if ya wanna revert to darkness.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

L_Kilkenny wrote:I like the idea for the light. Does it snap on an off? Other than that I would of just stuck a red dot or low power variable (1.5-4x) on it using a standard weaver base and called it good. The scout set-up and multiple sighting systems seems a bit over kill to me.
I've tried more 'minimalist' systems, and found several problems:

1. Without a really POWERFUL light, you can't see well enough to shoot safely beyond ten yards at most. The light I have selected is the most compact-for-power I've come across. It's detachable but it so light in weight as to not really be a problem. It truly can cast 'shootable' light out to 75 yards.

2. Cheaper 'red-dot' scopes usually don't adjust to low-enough levels for dark shooting; the EoTech is a bit heavier, but adjusts to a circle/dot reticle so dim you can barely see it at all - yet bright enough to see in very bright sunlight. I just haven't found a 'red-dot' scope that will do that.

3. Without the laser, sometimes the target is still difficult to spot accurately; ever try to shoot a raccoon scurrying along the edge of a fencerow at 50 yards when it is totally dark? The light shows the critter in vague outline, and the reticle shows your aim, but the confirmation with your left eye of the 'on-target' status is worth the less-than-one-ounce weight of the tiny pistol laser. Since it sits in front of the EoTech, it isn't "in the way" at all, and is exactly in position to thumb on and off with the forend-hand.

So, yes, I could do without any of the three 'add-ons' and have a more 'traditional' rifle, or one that was a trifle lighter in weight, but hands-on experience has led me to believe that all three are useful. I've had setups with only two of the three components, and found them distinctly useless when it comes to real critters-eating-the-livestock situations.

If I could pack all but the Holosight into the end of the magazine tube, I'd consider it, but it would reduce magazine capacity, and the Holosight is the most 'ungainly' of the three items anyway. The flashlights invented to date just aren't bright enough unless they are fairly large (too big for a magazine tube), and locating the light under the barrel reduces the glare but illuminates the needed area. Lasers nowdays are trivial in size, and if mounted above bore axis, provide the longest tangent line that is close to trajectory. All the red-dots are fairly large, save the 'ACOG' type ones that I don't own one of (yet), so I just used the stuff I had on hand - an EoTech, a cheaply-made but salvagable pistol laser, and a reasonably compact flashlight.

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Replace the EoTech with an Aimpoint R-1 or H-1 and you'll have a shorter (height off bore) scope that runs 5X as long, and is considerably smaller overall.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Doc,
Pretty cool set up. But please do not apologize, since there is nothing blasphemous about stainless steel lever guns 8)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

UncleBuck wrote:there is nothing blasphemous about stainless steel lever guns 8)
+1 on the no-apologies-for-stainless-leverguns comment!!!

I really dig this project!

Kind of wondering about future utility-focused adaptations of levergun parts... like... why doesn't anybody make an after-market forestock with a built in mounting rail? Seems like with the historical and growing popularity of leverguns someone would produce a drop-in that facilitates light mounting like everyone and their cousin makes for ARs.....

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Haycock wrote:Kind of wondering about future utility-focused adaptations of levergun parts... like... why doesn't anybody make an after-market forestock with a built in mounting rail?
Yeah - imagine if the Marlin 1894's had all the after-markets the Ruger 10/22's do...!

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Okay , my final question on this project, how many batteries in total are on that rig? :wink:
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

AJMD429 wrote:
Haycock wrote:Kind of wondering about future utility-focused adaptations of levergun parts... like... why doesn't anybody make an after-market forestock with a built in mounting rail?
Yeah - imagine if the Marlin 1894's had all the after-markets the Ruger 10/22's do...!
I'm seeing a Hogue black rubberized buttstock and forestock with embedded XS-ish rail for mounting accessories.... the buttstock has a shell compartment...

Yeeeeahhhh, boyyyyyyy!

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Haycock wrote:I'm seeing a Hogue black rubberized buttstock and forestock with embedded XS-ish rail for mounting accessories.... the buttstock has a shell compartment...
I don't think any aftermarket stocks exist except for the 336, and those are only in black fiberglass or some such.

Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

AJMD429 wrote:
Haycock wrote:I'm seeing a Hogue black rubberized buttstock and forestock with embedded XS-ish rail for mounting accessories.... the buttstock has a shell compartment...
I don't think any aftermarket stocks exist except for the 336, and those are only in black fiberglass or some such.
By "seeing" I meant "envisioning"... "dreaming of"... etc., not that I had sourced one.....

Haycock
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

nemhed wrote:Doc, I've got the same issues in my little corner of Indiana that you do. I personally like a compact low power scope for such work but no matter. I am interested in that light though, what kind of beam will it throw? I really love these LED lights available today!
I forgot to answer this specifically. The "Duracell 'Daylite' TrueBeam uses those '123' batteries, but the 4-watt light is WAY brighter than the 3-cell AA MagLights, which are WAY brighter than the two-cell ones. The one shown on the NightScout is truly a black-cat-at-75-yards light... :twisted:

nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Yeah, Doc, I went and bought the 2 x AA battery version at Walmart shortly after you posted this. They had it on sale for $23. It's keeping my 870 company right now. It is uber-bright, although the focus feature is a little useless. Between that light and my Energizer LED headlamps, I rule the night around here! :twisted: :lol:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks great! I can't wait to see how it works in the real world. I think all of us that live outside the city limits have problems with nocturnal visitors. So far my chickens have remained safe, at least since I penned them up but when I was letting them free range I lost 9 in one night.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Wow, Doc, I just Googled your light. It has 160 lumens vs 80 lumens for the one I got :o . Now I have flashlight envy, but I like using my rechargeable AAA and AA ni-cads in my lights. These new LED lights are simply amazing! 8)
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ben_Rumson,

I really like that set up. One day I will follow suit.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Found an even better light, at the local Lowe's (lumber/home improvement store) - a Coast (link) LED-Lenser (Model P-7) 190-lumen light - http://www.coastportland.com). It is 190 lumens (vs. 70 for the previous Duracell one) which basically means BRIGHT. Larger diameter (30mm rings fit just right) than the Duracell one, but not a heavy light at all. Another nice feature is that it has a 'dim' battery saving mode that means you can use it for ordinary see-where-you're-walking-at-night use without having to have a separate light (the 'bright' mode is simply too intense to use pointed at the ground by your feet, if you expect to have your night-vision at all useful when you're checking gates, or feeders, or whatever chore you're doing).

I like this setup alot - handy, durable, and the .357 Mag has more varmint-potency than a .22 LR, but way less noise and flash than a .223 or similar gun one might desire for 2-legged predator control. Hearing damage isn't something I'm willing to have just to make one less coyote around the farm, or one less chicken-eater in the chicken pen. It is accurate enough that I can go out in pitch black and hit the 8" 100-yd. gong without a problem, or a soda can at 50 yards.

Maybe I need one in .44 Mag, though... :roll:

The other changes I've made is to go to the Burris Fastfire II for the way smaller size vs. the Bushnell Holosight, upgrade from a generic pistol laser to the LaserMax (a vast improvement in staying-in-adjustment, and not turning itself off with recoil), and ditched the 'backup' iron sights (I'm not in a remote area, just the farmstead, so if something breaks, I will just go back home :wink: ).

If I did it over, knowing how compact the Fastfire/LaserMax combo would be, I'd just have used a regular weaver rail on the receiver, I think, although having both controls easily accessable with my left thumb is kind of nice, being forward-mounted like they are now.

Last edited by AJMD429 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I like it.. Looks good & makes total sense what you said about back up sights..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Markbo

Post by Markbo »

I like it. I appreciate the ingenuity and the do-it-yourself nature of the while thing. I have done things with 10/22s that I really enjoyed and this just seems a natural project. Well done! :D
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Congratulations Doc, it looks very workable and some wisdom from trial and error thrown in for good measure.

I'm also glad to see your WGRS sight mounted that way... just like mine. I hate the looks but you can't mess with success, it works great.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just musing over my next project gun...?

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just gotta add a sling and make the light-mount. . . :mrgreen:

claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Very nice setup, Doc! No need to apologize for the stainless, either. As much as I appreciate the traditional and antique stuff, I see no reason why a modern lever action shouldn't utilize the best materials and technology available. After all, when the lever action first appeared, it was cutting edge technology then! There was nothing traditional about it at that time.
Have you hugged your rifle today?