Is The 32-20 as "Good" as the .357 For Deer Sized Animals?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Is The 32-20 as "Good" as the .357 For Deer Sized Animals?

Post by Blaine »

I don't think so, but I've gotten a good education from youse guys on the 32-20 lately....Been wondering if I should take 'er out for blacktail next year. A .357 is on my short list.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is The 32-20 as "Good" as the .357 For Deer Sized Animals?

Post by jnyork »

The well-placed shot makes all these arguements moot.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

PUT IT IN THE RIGHT PLACE AND MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SHARP KNIFE WITH YOU.
ONE OF THE SPENCER BOYS, I CANNOT REMEMBER NOW IF IT WAS DOC OR BUGS, USE TO TAKE HIS DEER EVERY YEAR WITH A WELL PLACED SHOT FROM A 22 RIFLE.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

I posted this chart in another thread about the .357 Magnum and hunting.

This chart show the average muzzle velocity and muzzle energy of the original Winchester 1892 calibers (except the 218 Bee) and the modern calibers. You can see that at least on paper, the .357 Magnum and the .32-20 are very close in muzzle energy and that the .32-20 should shoot a little flatter.

Last edited by gglass on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It isn't rocket science to drive a .357 158 gr. bullet 2000 fps from the rifle. That considerably turns the tables in favor of the .32-20. HOWEVER, remember that the .32-20 killed a LOT of deer with the old BP load. That 100 gr. lead bullet wasn't going 1800+ fps but more like 1300 fps.

I now consider the ability to legally access adjoining property to recover animals when I select the cartridge of the day. I don't think I'd choose a .32-20 in some circumstances. I would use it without qualms if it was all that was available.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you're reloading for the 32wcf , and you bring it up to its full potential its a dandy deer cartridge. But don't try it with the factory loads as they are all tamed down now to be safe in the more delicate handguns it was so prolificilly chambered in. Those will still work but the initial results may be a bit dismal.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

As much as I like the 32-20, its a no-brainer between the .357 and the 32. If you insist on the 32-20, use a hard cast 115 grainer, going at least 1600, place you shot well, and it will be in your favor the deer will drop :D

When using hot loads in the 25-20 or 32-20, I have found in the past that its easy to get a head seperation in as little as two reloads, even with a rifle with perfect tolerences. Watch your full length sizer adjustments and use new brass for hunting. :wink: ------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My inclination is to trade the 32-20 for a .357, an 1894CB if possible...... But like I said, you guys have totally revised my idea of what a deer rifle needs to be.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Francis Sell thought a .25-35 wildcat the Tomcat was the perfect rifle for those pesky Blacktail deer you have out there. I would think a HV .32-20 would do well on those deer.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

My father in law's deer rifle is a M1 carbine . If you reload the 32-20 isn't much different balistically than a 30 carbine. The deer don't go far with a double lung shot according to my FIL. I want to shoot a deer with my 32-20 just to see how it works, but I don't see it being a go to gun for deer.
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Francis Sell thought a .25-35 wildcat the Tomcat was the perfect rifle for those pesky Blacktail deer you have out there. I would think a HV .32-20 would do well on those deer.
The problem west of the Cascades is not the ability to kill the smallish Blacktails, but being able to find them after you've killed them. The cover is extremely heavy and it is almost always drizzling, so it is better to have a caliber that really knocks them down and gives full penetration so you have a decent blood trail if they do run a bit. That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

PaulB wrote:The problem west of the Cascades is not the ability to kill the smallish Blacktails, but being able to find them after you've killed them. The cover is extremely heavy and it is almost always drizzling, so it is better to have a caliber that really knocks them down and gives full penetration so you have a decent blood trail if they do run a bit. That's my opinion, for what it's worth.
I would limit lower power cartridges to environments where you can track the deer. Other than that, any well-placed shot with any decent bullet able to produce a humane kill within a reasonable time frame should be ok.
(Defining 'decent' and 'reasonable' is a bit subjective, I know...)

If I am hunting in 'trackable' country in the morning, I'm more apt to use a low-powered gun, or take a longer shot, but if it is nearing dusk and in a thicket and raining, anything other than confidence that I can place a .44-plus caliber hole through the thorax and heart is going to make me wait until another day.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

When I was younger I used to think that bullet expansion was the key to quick kills, but now that I'm grey, I realize that penetration is the #1 factor. I've posted before that I used the 32-20 on a large mule deer doe years ago, and she didn't go but about 25 yards or so, and penetration was complete. I believe that a good sturdy soft nose, or cast bullet in the 32 wcf is much more potent than the current crop of HP's offered. My opinion is totally based on penetration. I wouldn't hesitate to use this round inside 75 yards or so...and truthfully...most all of my shots are within this range. I'd sure use it before I used the 25-35 again with my current load :shock:

Somewhere I have a photo of me and my rifle...along with my 9 month pregnant wife..and our deer that we shot that year...both with 32's . Hers was a .32 Special...mine the 32-20. Guess I'll have to dig it out and scan it...

Ed
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Now I'm not saying the .32-20 won't kill deer. We all know better than that. But is it as good? No. Big difference.

LK
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

L_Kilkenny wrote:Now I'm not saying the .32-20 won't kill deer. We all know better than that. But is it as good? No. Big difference.

LK
Doesn't matter whether the through penetration is from a .32 Special or a .32-20 as long as it's through. The animal won't react differently as long as the bullet passes through. The only difference is when you step into the 06 and heavier rounds, and then you are using overkill and velocity to make up for poor shooting.

Ed
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Kansas Ed wrote:
L_Kilkenny wrote:Now I'm not saying the .32-20 won't kill deer. We all know better than that. But is it as good? No. Big difference.

LK
Doesn't matter whether the through penetration is from a .32 Special or a .32-20 as long as it's through. The animal won't react differently as long as the bullet passes through. The only difference is when you step into the 06 and heavier rounds, and then you are using overkill and velocity to make up for poor shooting.

Ed
Sorry Ed, I don't by that. First, if that was true, FMJ's would be just as effective on game as a good controled expansion round. They aren't. 2nd: It's possible to be under gunned, almost impossible to be over gunned. I'll garrentee that a .22LR will pentrate enough on a broad side doe to get to the heart or both lungs but no way would I recommend it for a deer round. Power and shock have it's effects. Big effects. Nothing makes up for a bigger wound channel even on good shots.

I'm anti-magnumitis as much or more than the next guy. I believe many hunters go to the feild over-gunned but I don't believe it saves bad shots. A gut shot deer is gonna run just as far if hit with a .32-20 or 12ga slug. Shot placement is first. But to say that a round that will penetrate a deer on a broadside shot using smaller hardcast lead is "as good" as a round with more velocity, heavier bullets and more energy that will fully pentrate a deer from any angle with expanding bullets is simply impossible. The question "was not" weather the .32-20 is good enough, the question was "is it as good". It's simply impossible. If that were the case we'd have no reason to hunt anything with anything more than a .223, including bear.

LK
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

This all boils down to the old "energy vs penetration" argument. No need to rehash the same old arguments again. I can agree to disagree with you, and I'm sure that we both have enough kills to back our own viewpoints. Have a great hunting season. :D

Ed
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Post by rost495 »

I dunno about what the 357 would do, all I can say is on the 3 deer and 1 javelina so far, none survived...
Shot placement whether I use a 22 or my 50 bmg is paramount... who would think a doe could run after a 50 bmg went through both lungs? Much less run 100 yards or so with NO blood traill....... my 32-20 deer have all went down in less distance than my 50 bmg ones....

Normally there is a blood trail too.

As to comments on PNW coast trailing, lots of folks bowhunt that, the only way you find deer/elk shot that way is by trailing. I do admit I get lazy if its open and I can see, I simply go look, but in any woods thick or thin, we trail to the deer, regardless of the shot unless its one of those rare bang flops. I haven't even had a bang flop with my 7x300 wtby other than head shots...
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Kansas Ed wrote:This all boils down to the old "energy vs penetration" argument. No need to rehash the same old arguments again. I can agree to disagree with you, and I'm sure that we both have enough kills to back our own viewpoints. Have a great hunting season. :D

Ed
Back at ya Brother Ed! Deer Season starts this weekend! YA!

LK
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Is The 32-20 as "Good" as the .357 For Deer Sized Animal

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

Fixed... Now with rifle data only!

"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."