.357 Magnum Hunting... Being Laughed At :(

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

.357 Magnum Hunting... Being Laughed At :(

Post by oic0 »

For some reason whenever I mention I got a hunting gun and people ask me "what is it?" and I say ".357 magnum carbine" their instant reply is "Thats too weak to hunt, get a real rifle". I'm not scared of recoil or big guns, in fact I am usually the dummy who jumps in over his head. I just thought it would be nice to have one gun I can hunt big or small game with AND be able to afford ammunition to shoot as much as I want (ammo price played a huge role in the decision). Lastly, I don't know... something just made me fall in love with the idea of a tube fed lever action.

I figured I would get some input from you guys.

Here is the info I have gathered so far with google searches.

Max Range: ~125 yards
Ideal Weight: 158-180grain
Ideal Bullet: Cast core.

Is there anything else I should know? did I really make a mistake? (I have moderate experience shooting... tons of plinking, occasional hunting for small game, never had the patience to sit in a tree).

Also, for small game I think I am going to try a 158g SWC .38 special round. Don't want to blow rabbits to bits but if what I read online is correct it should punch a nice hole right through them breaking bones as it goes.
Hobie

Re: .357 Magnum Hunting... Being Laughed At :(

Post by Hobie »

oic0 wrote:For some reason whenever I mention I got a hunting gun and people ask me "what is it?" and I say ".357 magnum carbine" their instant reply is "Thats too weak to hunt, get a real rifle". I'm not scared of recoil or big guns, in fact I am usually the dummy who jumps in over his head. I just thought it would be nice to have one gun I can hunt big or small game with AND be able to afford ammunition to shoot as much as I want (ammo price played a huge role in the decision). Lastly, I don't know... something just made me fall in love with the idea of a tube fed lever action.

I figured I would get some input from you guys.

Here is the info I have gathered so far with google searches.

Max Range: ~125 yards
Ideal Weight: 158-180grain
Ideal Bullet: Cast core.

Is there anything else I should know? did I really make a mistake? (I have moderate experience shooting... tons of plinking, occasional hunting for small game, never had the patience to sit in a tree).

Also, for small game I think I am going to try a 158g SWC .38 special round. Don't want to blow rabbits to bits but if what I read online is correct it should punch a nice hole right through them breaking bones as it goes.
That will work. Too little is devoted to PLACEMENT and too much to power.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You won't find many around here that will laugh at you. The 357 in a levergun with a good 158-180 gr. bullet is a great combo for the short range deer woods. Many of us use it with complete satisfaction.
NRA Life Member
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I think it is a great choice to fit the criteria you've established. I've had a recent client bring one to South Africa and shoot impala and warthog with it. We've had decent success from other forumites that have hunted with me, most notably OI's deer (and those he shot on his own recently) and Ji's blackbuck. Personally, I like to limit the 357 rifle to 80 yds max and 200 lbs or less animals - but that is sure to differ with other's opinions. My observations are that the 158 gr controlled expansion loads, like the Federal Hydra-Shok, Federal Fusion and other premium brands/bullets are as effective as the 180 gr hardcast loads. I know you're keeping ammo cost in mind but the Grizzly Extreme is a devastating 357 round that expands to 1 1/8 " diameter with with cutting petals and 10-12" of penetration. For personal protection and deer and antelope that is probably the best performance you can get out of the 357 mag. For small game, plinking and target shooting any factory 38 spl or 357 will do if applied appropriately. Good luck with it!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very few people have seen what happens when pistol rounds are shot in rifles. most of the members here know the real story and the posts of successful hunt's are more than proof. when the .357 mag first came out if I remember right the owner of Smith&Wesson killed just about everything in north America with it.from a revolver. Don't worry You have enough gun.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I'm not a hunter, but if the .357 will take out the most dangerous creature on this ball of mud it should work on most of the fury critters roaming the range.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

People who laugh at another's choice of firearm are extremely rude and in this case, bloody ignorant too. :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
76/444

Post by 76/444 »

Just laugh back at them,.... they don't know what they are talking about. I can't think of anything I would do with my 44 lever, that you couldn't do with your 357.

Or, just ignore them.
Last edited by 76/444 on Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Don't worry about what others think. Back when, Dan Wesson killed practically every meaningful head of game in this country and abroad. He did it with the .357 Magnum using a revolver. Now some people scoff at using the .357 for anything. They say it isn't powerful enough. Their problem is that they base their knowledge on what they have read not what they have experienced in the field.

For what you've described, you'll do just fine with the .357 Magnum and .38 Special.
ED
Yer never too old
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

you have chosen well enjoy. I love my .357 levergun and use it for deer and small game.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

Wow! I'm not sure that I would hang around with people who are (as described above) both rude and ignorant.

I live in Indiana and as such, we can only use non-shotgun firearms that are chambered in pistol calibers. I use both of my Rossi M92 Pumas chambered in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum. If either of these leverguns does not bring down a deer, it is my fault and not the rifle. I've seen deer run away, never to be seen again after being hit with a 30-30 and even a 30-06. I've also seen deer fall within 10 feet after being hit by a .357 Magnum. The only difference in all these is shot placement.

My two 1892 Pumas:

I won't even mention the effect of a .357 Magnum hollow point on a feral cat.
"The heart Ramon. Aim for the heart or you'll never stop me."
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I won't laugh at you, it works.!

180gr. XTP went in thru ribs, exited out thru neck and kept going..

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

I have the hots for one of those myself - one of Steve's worked-over 92's in that exact caliber for similar reasons.

Good choice and happy hunting friend.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Do either of these faces look like a 357mag isn't good enough? Does anyone seriously believe that a 357 mag is less lethal or has less killing power than a broadhead tipped arrow (and yes I know broadheads kill differently than bullets). If I could only have one rifle it would be my 357 Marlin. If I could only have two rifles one would be a 22lr the other would be my 357 Marlin. BTW I also use the 180 gr Hornady XTP.
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

If the above pics and stories don't convince your friends, then they might be persuaded by a nerdy chart.

This chart show the average muzzle velocity and muzzle energy of the original Winchester 1892 calibers (except the 218 Bee) and the modern calibers. It looks to me that the .357 Magnum holds it's own compared to the venerable cowboy cartridges that have brought down millions of deer.

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good for you friend, nowt wrong with a 357.

The jokes on them really ain't it :wink:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Take the time to learn where your gun shoots with the ammo you are going to hunt with. DO NOT sight your gun in on the bench!!!! My Win 94 shoots 2"+ to the left off sandbags vs hand held at 100 yards.

I've taken 225# deer with the .357. I've never recovered a bullet from a deer, they pass right through on a broadside shot.

Proper shot placement with ALL calibers is mandatory IMHO!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Some advice from someone who's been laughed at for years: If it works, don't sweat what the gunstore commandos think.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

All of my centerfire hunting rifles are leverguns. 2- 30-30 and 1- .44 mag. the other is a .50 Lyman GPR. I sure wish I could find a good deal on a .357 to join them. Some folks seem to think you have to have the 7mm or 300 mag so you can reach out on a far shot. IMO, thats not hunting thats shooting! I prefer to keep my shots around 100 yrds 50 yards is even better. It takes alot of effort to get within 50 yrds of a mature buck!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
scarville
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scarville »

Hobie wrote:That will work. Too little is devoted to PLACEMENT and too much to power.
+1

Anyone telling you a .357 carbine is too small for hunting probably learned the art from playing video games.
What most people call a "right" is the equivalent of a dog walking on a leash. Just because your leash is a little longer than the other dogs' does not mean you don't have a master.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Horsesoldier has it, I love chuking the 308w at crows n' other stuff at 200yds plus but nowt gets me all excited as sneaking up on something with my bow under 20yds!

30/30 is efficient but 357 more so IMO.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Yup --- What counts is HITS in the right place. Everything else is purely academic. The "hot stove league" doesn't matter at all.

Doug Wesson killed the biggest and the baddest in the Western hemisphere with a .357 Magnum revolver, so don't give it another thought.

OTOH, I still prefer "bigger & heavier" when the toothed & fanged & clawed neighbors might just show up unexpectedly...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Heck, around here (western Kansas) every one says the 30-30 is not enough gun for deer. Guess they have gotten bullet proof over the years. Any one willing to guess how many deer have fell to the 30-30?
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

scarville wrote:
Hobie wrote:That will work. Too little is devoted to PLACEMENT and too much to power.
+1

Anyone telling you a .357 carbine is too small for hunting probably learned the art from playing video games.
+1

Truer words...
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, I hardly need to add my +1 but I will.

The next time anybody laughs at the .357 Mag carbine ask them if they've ever hunted with one? Then tell them after they say "no" that you're not surprised as its more of an expert's cartridge. :lol:

Those castcore loads will put a hole completely through the deer from any reasonable angle - plenty to do the job.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

I don't think any deer hit at 100 yards or less with a .357 158-180 grain bullet would know the difference between in and a 30-30.
My first attempt at an outdoors website: http://www.diyballistics.com
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Jason_W wrote:I don't think any deer hit at 100 yards or less with a .357 158-180 grain bullet would know the difference between in and a 30-30.
Look at Jason_W's results from his bullet testing.

Bullet Testing
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Print these pictures.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/M ... G_0534.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/M ... G_0535.jpg
:shock: :o

When they laugh about the .357, tell them that the damage they see was caused at 110yds by a 180gr cast bullet (Buffalo Bore) moving at 1800fps out of a 20" .357 Levergun.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/M ... 71429a.jpg

Boom-flop. Ain't nothin weak/underperforming about a .357 when kept to its optimum ranges (<125yds)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

the .357 in a rifle might be the best usefull cartridge you can get . from small game, using .38 specials 148 wadcutters. to 180 full load hardcasts, you can take all north american game. the big stuff is a close range propostion only. as a defensive cartridge it's one of the best, if not the best manstoppers going. it may be the least expensive centerfire to shoot, therefore plenty of practice to increase your marksmanship. was out deerhunting yesterday and ran across a HUGE BLACK BEAR. next time i'm hiking those mountains in the spring, you can bet i'll have the .357 in my belt. i think you made a wise choice. those who laughed at you are dam fools.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

Time for a .357 fan group hug. :lol:
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You've made a BIG mistake ! ! ! :shock:

For those dastardly wabbits, a .460 Weatherby Magnum would be about minimum ! :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

"The .357 Magnum cartridge (and S&W gun) was an instant runaway success. S&W had originally conceived a very limited demand, with individual registered revolvers being individually built to individual customer's specifications. That lasted for only about two years. Not only did every cop in the nation want one, but Major Wesson also made the new revolver a sportsman's choice by setting out on a highly publicized hunting trip to take nearly every major species of big game in North America with an eight-inch version of the new revolver. And he did it. For the next 20 years, until Elmer Keith's heavy-loaded .44 Specials became the second ammo recipe to be poured from a magnum bottle, the .357 was the cartridge that every serious handgun shooter had to have. Even today, nearly three generations later, the .357 Magnum remains second to none in popularity for general-purpose sport, hunting, and law enforcement/personal-defense use in a revolver."

In a carbine it's a lot more cartridge.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Many, many moons ago I shot a black bear with a 4" 357 Mag. I don't know the bullet or weight but it was SuperVel ammo. The first shot made the little bugger a little mad and the next 5 shots were taken between 25 feet and point blank. The 357 did its job when I made the shots count.

Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

O.S.O.K. wrote: The next time anybody laughs at the .357 Mag carbine ask them if they've ever hunted with one? Then tell them after they say "no" that you're not surprised as its more of an expert's cartridge. :lol:
I have GOT to remember that one... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

After all these posts all I have to say is "yep".
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

A .357 Mag with the right bullet and shot placement will work fine. Some prefer other cartridges, and that's fine, but if your critics really NEED a 'more powerful' cartridge, then maybe they need to work some more on shot placement or use decent bullets... :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

hah!
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

Two words....Skeeter Skelton

Two words...Andy Law

Two words...Doug Wesson

Two words...Col. Charles Askins

Too many to list...

LB
PaulB
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaulB »

Laugh back at the guys hauling around big, clunky 7 Mags and .300 Mags for killing whitetails. :D
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Having first hand experience of what a .357 in a 4" revolver will do to a deer I can only imagine what it's capable of out of a rifle/carbine. IMO, the .357's wound channel is far more damaging than a 12ga foster slug. The 12ga. punches a hole (albeit a big one) but leaves much of the surrounding meat in good condition. The .357 on the other hand scramble's the insides and has an impressive wound channel. Hot loaded 180gr. XTP's just plain tear "stuff" up!

LK
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Thu May 01, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That post from 86er looks so old that he probably wasn't even shaving yet. The animals back then hadn't evolved the bullet proof skin that they have today. By the way, does anyone know which handgun was the most powerful up until the .357 Magnum was made? Ask the Texas Rangers about the gun they had Sam Colt make to their design when a Ranger named Walker was sent to Colt's factory with a list of design changes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

COSteve wrote:gglas's comparison chart above, uses rifle data for the older calibers while it uses pistol data for the newer calibers. This makes his chart pretty meaningless when comparing calibers in a carbine.

Here it is modified with rifle data for the 38spl+P and 357mag from my chrono data in my 20" 357 Rossi carbine. My version shows an apples to apples comparison from a rifle of the old rounds with both the 38spl+P and 357mag. I don't have any rifle data for the 44 spl and 44mag to correct those listing. I can say that it shows pistol data again which grossly understates both the 44 spl and 44mag performance when used in a rifle.

It shows that the .357mag in a carbine has better performance than a 25-20, 32-20, 38-40, or 44-40. As the 44-40 was specifically developed for the Win '92 and performs very well as a deer rifle, you can tell those who laugh that they simply don't know of what they speak.
Steve,

Thanks for the fix on the data. I wish that I had more control over the data, but the chart was pulled from ammoguide.com, which only allows for cartridge averages. The barrel lengths are not shown, and I agree that it does grossly skew some of the numbers. The reason for posting the chart was to reinforce the same conclusion that you arrived at... Namely, the .357 Magnum is nothing to sneeze at.

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/bcompare.cgi
gglass
Levergunner

Post by gglass »

I was able to run a filter on the ammunition data points and pulled just 20" barrel ballistics for the modern cartridges. None of the .357 Magnum data points had quite the numbers that you were able to chrono, but the chart is now more representative of real-world 1892 rifle ballistics. (You load some really HOT .357 Mags!)

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I may start hunting with .357; the Barnes bullets for it will expand at any range I can hit with it, whereas the 30-30 and 35 Rem bullets won't. And the rifle is a pound lighter.

How's IMR 4227 for a hunting-load powder?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

gglass wrote:I was able to run a filter on the ammunition data points and pulled just 20" barrel ballistics for the modern cartridges. None of the .357 Magnum data points had quite the numbers that you were able to chrono, but the chart is now more representative of real-world 1892 rifle ballistics. (You load some really HOT .357 Mags!)...
Not really. Look at the Buffalo Bore data. It's all within SAAMI spec, yet the 180 WFN clocks at 1800+ from a rifle and I chrony'd it at 1200 from my 2.5" SP101...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jmiller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jmiller »

I've shot over 40 deer with a .357 handgun and haven't lost one yet. I've shot five with a Marlin I bought two years ago also. Shot placement is critical with any caliber. It is more than enough gun for deer sized game. I get almost no pass throughs with 140-145 grain bullets and almost all pass throughs with 180 grain bullets. All do a very good. Just ignore the detractors. They read too many magazines and don't know what they're talking about.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

gglass wrote:I was able to run a filter on the ammunition data points and pulled just 20" barrel ballistics for the modern cartridges. None of the .357 Magnum data points had quite the numbers that you were able to chrono, but the chart is now more representative of real-world 1892 rifle ballistics. (You load some really HOT .357 Mags!)
Actually, I don't. My load for the 357mag round tested consists of the following components; a Zero 158grn JSP bullet, Win once fired case, CCI SPM primer, and 16.5grns H110 loaded at an OAL of 1.580". Hodgdon lists 16.7grns as a max load of H110 for the 158grn XTP bullet so my load isn't even a max charge.

Also, please note that my 38sl # are for a +P, your 357mag is a 180grn bullet, and my 357mag are for a 158grn bullet. As far as your numbers being lower than mine, 1,822fps out of a carbine isn't fast at all as Hobie posted in another thread that he's seen 158grn 357mag velocities in a carbine over 2,000fps (1,403lb/ft ME) and others have claimed over 2,100fps (1,547lb/ft ME).

However, performance at the muzzle is one thing but it seems to me that velocity and muzzle energy at say, 100yds would be a better comparison for field use. Therefore, I used Handloads.coms ballistic calculator with both your and my data and generated the following information.

Caliber ...... Grns ...... MV ...... ME ... 100yd MV . 100yd ME
25-20 ......... 79 ....... 1645 .... 475 ..... 1252 ........ 275
32-20 ........ 107 ....... 1860 .... 822 ..... 1378 ........ 451
38-40 ........ 168 ....... 1574 .... 924 ..... 1165 ........ 506
44-40 ........ 205 ....... 1375 .... 861 ..... 1078 ........ 529
38sl+P *...... 158 ....... 1421 .... 708 ..... 1122 ........ 422
38sl **........ 158 ....... 1300 .... 675 ..... 1079 ........ 465
357mag * ... 158 ....... 1822 ... 1165 ..... 1397 ........ 685
357mag **... 180 ....... 1574 ..... 990 ..... 1254 ........ 629

Hypothetical 357mag 2000fps and 2100fps performance.
357mag ..... 158 ....... 2000 ... 1403 ..... 1538 ........ 830
357mag ..... 158 ....... 2100 ... 1547 ..... 1621 ........ 922

This data clearly shows that the both the 158grn and 180grn .357mag loads deliver significantly more energy on target at 100yds than any of the other calibers listed. Also, if one believes that a 2000fps or 2100fps 158grn round is possible, the energy on target for the 357mag runs in the neighborhood of 60% higher than any other caliber listed.

But, energy on target is no use at all if you don't hit what you're aiming at so let's also compare trajectory information for 50yds, 100yds, and 150yds assuming a 100yd zero to see which is the flatter shooting round.

Caliber ...... Grns ...... MV ..... 50yd ... 100yd . 150yd
25-20 ......... 79 ....... 1645 ... 1.90" ...... 0" .. -10.39"
32-20 ........ 107 ....... 1860 ... 1.50" ...... 0" .... -6.26"
38-40 ........ 168 ....... 1574 ... 2.18" ...... 0" .... -8.60"
44-40 ........ 205 ....... 1375 ... 2.78" ...... 0" .. -10.28"
38sl+P *...... 158 ....... 1421 ... 2.54" ...... 0" .... -9.45"
38sl **........ 158 ....... 1300 ... 3.01" ...... 0" .. -10.79"
357mag * ... 158 ....... 1822 ... 1.47" ...... 0" .... -5.96"
357mag **... 180 ....... 1574 ... 2.92" ...... 0" .. -10.39"

Hypothetical 357mag 2000fps and 2100fps performance.
357mag ..... 158 ....... 2000 ... 1.17" ...... 0" .... -4.87"
357mag ..... 158 ....... 2100 ... 1.03" ...... 0" .... -4.37"

Again, my 158grn 357mag load demonstrates the flattest trajectory through 150yds of any other round listed (except the hypothetical 2000fps and 2100fps rounds). Therefore, I make the unabashed claim that the .357mag. is absolutely the best performing caliber of the lot for deer hunting at any range out to 150yds. No one should feel under gunned when using their 357mag levergun hunting deer out to 150yds which I believe is the practical and humane limit for an open sighted levergun in these caliber ranges.

* My chrono data generated averaging 2ea 10rd strings under the following local conditions; Jefferson County, CO, 9/13/09 - Sunny, 54°, 6,100ft asl
** gglass revised data.
Steve
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Steve... I really think you are underselliing the 180... either BB our handload equivelents ;)

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l= ... tail&p=100

... 5. 18.5 inch Marlin 1894

a. Item 19A/20-180gr. Hard Cast = 1851 fps :twisted:
b. Item 19B/20-170gr. JHC = 1860 fps 8)
c. Item 19C/20-158gr. Jacketed Hollow Point = 2153 fps :o
d. Item 19D/20-125gr. Jacketed Hollow Point = 2298 fps :shock:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I just heard about Buffalo Bore's claims myself and checked it out on their web page. I'm surprised at the level of performance they reach with a 357 round. Based on that information, I'm updating my charts.

Caliber ...... Grns ...... MV ...... ME ... 100yd MV . 100yd ME
25-20 ......... 79 ....... 1645 .... 475 ..... 1252 ........ 275
32-20 ........ 107 ....... 1860 .... 822 ..... 1378 ........ 451
38-40 ........ 168 ....... 1574 .... 924 ..... 1165 ........ 506
44-40 ........ 205 ....... 1375 .... 861 ..... 1078 ........ 529
38sl+P *...... 158 ....... 1421 .... 708 ..... 1122 ........ 422
38sl **........ 158 ....... 1300 .... 675 ..... 1079 ........ 465
357mag * .... 158 ...... 1822 ... 1165 ..... 1397 ........ 685
357mag **... 180 ....... 1574 ..... 990 ..... 1254 ........ 629
Buffalo Bore Ammo from an 18.5" Marlin
357mag ..... 158 ....... 2153 ... 1626 ..... 1665 ........ 973
357mag ..... 180 ....... 1851 ... 1369 ..... 1468 ........ 861

This new data clearly shows that BB's .357mag loads deliver significantly more energy on target at 100yds than any of the other calibers listed. In fact, it shows that BB's 158grn load delivers more ME at 100yds than any other caliber produces at the muzzle!! Also, their 180grn hardcast ammo has the same ME at 100yds that the 44-40 has at the muzzle. Not surprisingly, the trajectory information for 50yds, 100yds, and 150yds assuming a 100yd zero is also great.

Caliber ...... Grns ...... MV ..... 50yd ... 100yd . 150yd
25-20 ......... 79 ....... 1645 ... 1.90" ...... 0" .. -10.39"
32-20 ........ 107 ....... 1860 ... 1.50" ...... 0" ... -6.26"
38-40 ........ 168 ....... 1574 ... 2.18" ...... 0" ... -8.60"
44-40 ........ 205 ....... 1375 ... 2.78" ...... 0" .. -10.28"
38sl+P *...... 158 ....... 1421 ... 2.54" ...... 0" ... -9.45"
38sl **........ 158 ....... 1300 ... 3.01" ...... 0" .. -10.79"
357mag * .... 158 ....... 1822 ... 1.47" ..... 0" ... -5.96"
357mag **... 180 ....... 1574 ... 2.92" ...... 0" .. -10.39"
Buffalo Bore Ammo from an 18.5" Marlin
357mag ...... 158 ...... 2153 ... 0.97" ...... 0" ... -4.13"
357mag ...... 180 ...... 1851 ... 1.37" ...... 0" ... -5.42"

* My chrono data generated averaging 2ea 10rd strings under the following local conditions; Jefferson County, CO, 9/13/09 - Sunny, 54°, 6,100ft asl
** gglass revised data.
Steve